The Student Room Group

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jace Falco
A great man once said, "but that doesn't mean those games are better."

Metal Gear Solid is an excellent game though. :p: I mean, if you play it now, it won't be as amazing as it was seen back in the late 90s, but the gameplay is still solid and the next 3 games improved on those games in a big way. I'm a fan of ME as well remember. :pierre:

Mass Effect 3 looks :awesome:
As an auteur I would rank Hideo Kojima alongside some of the best film directors.
Original post by Madjackismad
Metal Gear Solid is an excellent game though. :p: I mean, if you play it now, it won't be as amazing as it was seen back in the late 90s, but the gameplay is still solid and the next 3 games improved on those games in a big way. I'm a fan of ME as well remember. :pierre:

Mass Effect 3 looks :awesome:

There's also the issue that I've never owned, nor wanted to own, a Sony console.

Yes it does :awesome: Combat actually being good is new for the series :mmm:
Reply 2463
As far as gaming goes, I never really progressed from Rayman on the PS2. :ninja:
Phalanges

Not my fault if 2 illegal links were posted in the 6 hours it took you to respond :tongue:
Original post by cambo211

Not my fault if 2 illegal links were posted in the 6 hours it took you to respond :tongue:

If you have a complaint you would like to raise about a member of the moderation team, please go to AASM where your concerns will be dealt with. :p:

I was about to quote you anyway, I got a bit bored earlier and went and found a whole load of new film sites, if you're interested in an update from the previous list? There are definitely a few more on now that aren't so mainstream. I also found a phenomenal video games site that I had never heard of and deserves way more publicity.
Original post by Phalanges
If you have a complaint you would like to raise about a member of the moderation team, please go to AASM where your concerns will be dealt with. :p:

I was about to quote you anyway, I got a bit bored earlier and went and found a whole load of new film sites, if you're interested in an update from the previous list? There are definitely a few more on now that aren't so mainstream. I also found a phenomenal video games site that I had never heard of and deserves way more publicity.

Link away :yy:
Link away :yy:

LA Times: The Big Picture - hands down the best link I found. Awesome writing across a lot of really interesting areas. Just look at some of their most recent titles - "Does it matter that most Hollywood liberal are Jews?", "The Hollywood Risk Equation: Would You Have Hired Kenneth Branagh to direct Thor?", and so on. Brilliant site.

Following on from that, the more news focused LA Times blog 24 Frames (interesting choice of name :p:) also seems to be pretty decent.

The Anonymous Production Assistant's Blog - For me the best kind of blogs are written by people doing a completely different job and are willing to share their experiences openly. This has some really interesting posts about their perspective of the industry (although by the looks of things it's recently just changed author).

The Art of the Title - This is pretty much the only website you ever need to look at about title sequences. They only update sporadically (usually around 2 a month), but every single one of their posts is crammed with so much content. To pick a mainstream example their second to most recent post is about the opening of Game Of Thrones, and they have an interview with the director, the mechanics behind how it's put together, concept art, everything. Brilliantly comprehensive site.

The Joy of Film Editing - good blog on the various aspects of film editing by a respected Hollywood professional.

Just Effing Entertain Me - Nice blog on scriptwriting.

Cinema Autopsy - Reviews and articles from an Australian critic. Has some really nice in-depth stuff on movies and directors (he recently did a really in-depth article on 2001).

My links are a little bit more unconventional now. :cool: I wanted to get a nice range of views from all areas of film, hence the mix of things like editing alongside standard reviewing.
(edited 12 years ago)
massive list

Taa very much :h:
I always forget just how much I love Shawshank. :coma:
As an auteur I would rank Hideo Kojima alongside some of the best film directors.

Definitely. Watch the MGS4 documentary, you'll see how ridiculously multi-talented he is. He had his hand in almost every single element of MGS4.
Reply 2471
Just watched True Grit again, GOD I LOVE IT SO MUCH. :woo:

And it's nice to be able to actually watch a film with my dad that I know he'll like and not just pretend to for my sake. He liked it very much. :h:
Forrest Gump and Shawshank redemption on now... pretty impressive

Batman Begins too, but I'm watching a re-run of Camelot, it's ok.
I've heard Eva Green is in Camelot. :flute:
Am about to watch Serenity Blu Ray :woo:

Bought Firefly on a whim about 2 weeks ago. It is amazing. Buy it now as it's so cheap on amazon.
I's got a poem on Teen Ink.

Please read it and rate it for meeee!
Reply 2476
Just burning Ferris Bueller's Day Off, have never seen it before. :holmes:
Original post by Madjackismad
I've heard Eva Green is in Camelot. :flute:

indeed she is, helps make the show more watchable :biggrin:

Playing Mass Effect, just makes me think of how amazing a ME live action film would be, the game is so naturally cinematic and full of drama anyway. JJ Abrams or Steven Spielberg should helm it (:
Original post by lukejoshjedi
indeed she is, helps make the show more watchable :biggrin:

Playing Mass Effect, just makes me think of how amazing a ME live action film would be, the game is so naturally cinematic and full of drama anyway. JJ Abrams or Steven Spielberg should helm it (:

Nah, definitely not. It's virtually a massive movie anyway, so it wouldn't really be that good. :p:
And they'd use BroShep :colonhash:

Quick Reply

Latest