The Student Room Group

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II

Scroll to see replies

Studio Ghibli fans should be pleased as well.
I've never even noticed this thread before.

I saw Cowboys and Aliens and The Inbetweeners Movie at the weekend.

Cowboys and Aliens is a fairly standard summer blockbuster. Craig, Ford and Wilde don't make for the most charismatic of stars mainly because humour is few and far between in the film. The special effects are very good with the exception of the actual aliens, who can never seem to be pulled off properly with CGI.
Overall there's just nothing really special that makes the film stand out, it's an OK watch but probably more worthy of a DVD rental than a cinema trip.

The Inbetweeners movie is very funny, i'd say it was only behind Bridesmaids for the number of laughs per minute you'll get from a film this year and it's better than other comedies like The Hangover 2, Bad Teacher, Horrible Bosses etc...
If you're a fan of the show (which i am) then i don't see any reason why you wouldn't like the film, the characters are all still essentially the same although they show some progression and maturity in their actions by the end. There's several great comedy set pieces including a 'pulling' dance in a nightclub that lets us see simon and Will's attempts at dancing, Neil steals the show obviously.
There are a few lulls in the comedy though at some points and Jay doesn't get to over exaggerate as much as he does in the show but it's well worth going to see at the cinema.
Reply 3982
I'm bored so I'm having a Fast and Furious binge :coma:

Never got around to seeing the latest two so look forward to it, especially the one that came out this year, The Rock v Vin Diesel :dice: And it seems to have pretty good reviews as well.

On another note, I watched Antwone Fisher yesterday, good film. Though I am a bit biased as Denzel Washington is one of my favourite actors, but yeah good film and would recommend it.
Anybody into 'indie' or 'unusual' films. The artistic types of films?

Spoiler

Took a while to get around to processing your join requests. But welcome to the Film society and our humble abode. :h:
Why at the MTV VMA? :colonhash:

I suppose they are trying for the new Harry Potter...
Reply 3987
Terence Malick casts Christian Bale in upcoming film

Terence Malick is making three films in three years? :lolwut:
Original post by Abiraleft
Terence Malick casts Christian Bale in upcoming film

Terence Malick is making three films in three years? :lolwut:

Maybe he's dying...:lolwut:

Won't be as memorable as Tree of Life anyway.

pretty cool, I'm liking the cast so far, esp Jennifer Lawrence

Original post by mevidek
Anybody into 'indie' or 'unusual' films. The artistic types of films?

yess, Nicka nd Norahs infinite playlist was cool
anybody seen Spielberg's 'Duel'?
Original post by mevidek

Yup, creeeeepy film!
Reply 3992
Just watched The Mask for the first time since I was about six. For some reason I used to find it really scary!
Original post by aja89
Just watched The Mask for the first time since I was about six. For some reason I used to find it really scary!

Tbf the dog's crazy :| and the evil guy is quite evil... and ... Cameron Diaz looks scarily good in that compared to in anything else :smile:
Reply 3994
Original post by cadaeibfeceh
Tbf the dog's crazy :| and the evil guy is quite evil... and ... Cameron Diaz looks scarily good in that compared to in anything else :smile:

It was the bit where he finds the mask that used to scare me the most, when he thinks it's a person in the water!
Original post by aja89
It was the bit where he finds the mask that used to scare me the most, when he thinks it's a person in the water!

Oh yeah, that is creepy! (For a young person :smile: lol) I watched it a few months ago and realised just how... "good" it really is lol.
Wow, I haven't seen the Mask in absolutely ages. It used to be one of me favourite films; I must have watched it four or five time when I was a kid!
Reply 3997
Just saw Super 8. I enjoyed it a lot, even though the plot was a teeny bit wibbly-wobbly. The child actors were good.
Original post by cadaeibfeceh
Yup, creeeeepy film!

Brilliant film!

Have you seen any of Jeannes Jacques Annaud's films? Enemy at the Gates, Quest for Fire, Name of the Rose and Bear?
Original post by mevidek

Yeah, pretty good. you never seen it?

Quick Reply

Latest