The Student Room Group

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by vitamortis
How comes you didn't like Requiem for a Dream?

put quite a bit about it a few pages back, but to sum up, pandering and assuming we're idiots, too many camera effects done too often it loses effect/used when not appropriate, factually wrong, and the characters sucked.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by mimimimi
Went to see Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy last night, and though it was very nicely done (the music especially - it reminded me of LA Noire), I really wish I'd read the book first because I was pretty confused for almost the entire film :frown:

I haven't seen the movie yet, but I was pretty confused when reading the book.
It was only when I started making notes to help me keep track of what was going on that I understood things :ninja:
i saw TTSS last night. enjoyable but did not think that the Smiley actor was quite right. Some reviewers have said that he was "on the brink of exploding"...did not seem terribly wound up to me. he looked more like a swedish dentist than an english spymaster.
there were some fabulous camera shots... i loved the Citroen DS parked on the runway, shimmering in a heat haze...awesome.
Original post by mimimimi
Went to see Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy last night, and though it was very nicely done (the music especially - it reminded me of LA Noire), I really wish I'd read the book first because I was pretty confused for almost the entire film :frown:

It's on Youtube. I loved the opening credits when Smiley and Control 'retire'. The Soviet national anthem was also used really well with the Christmas Party and Smiley.

Loved the final sequence with La Mer as well. Mark Strong should be a leading man.
(edited 12 years ago)
I think most of John Le Carreé's work can be pretty confusing - I haven't read the book, but the Richard Burton film 'The Spy Who Came In From the Cold' is fairly hard to follow - if you miss one detail then you might find yourself wondering what is happening later on...
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy is getting some great reviews. I predict some Oscar nominations and wins. :holmes:

I'm glad they departed from the old formula of street racing because they always have poor plots. It became a much better film when they made it a heist film.

Oh yeah, definitely! At one point during the film, I was even cheering them on! :tongue:

Ah, fair dos! Ape, got any film recommendations?
I am in Berlin and therefore cannot see Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy until Tuesday :emo: No spoilers pl0x :ta:
Original post by Jace Falco
I am in Berlin and therefore cannot see Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy until Tuesday :emo: No spoilers pl0x :ta:

It's REALLY GOOD... there's a spoiler for ya :wink:
Reply 4268
After watching Blood and Bone and Undisputed 2 I'm convinced that Michael Jai White is the hardest actor in film today. :holmes:
Reply 4269
Just watched The Godfather Part II. I didn't think it was quite as good as the first one, but both Pacino and De Niro were incredible. :adore:
Original post by Abiraleft
Just watched The Godfather Part II. I didn't think it was quite as good as the first one, but both Pacino and De Niro were incredible. :adore:

And now starts the old Godfather Part I vs Part II debate...
Reply 4271
I finally watched The Adjustment Bureau all the way through; I guess the third time is the charm?

Emily Blunt should be Christopher Nolan's Catwoman!
Just got done watching Trainspotting. I didn't really like it...does this make me a bad person? :colondollar:

Ah, fair dos! Ape, got any film recommendations?

Any genre in particular? :holmes:
Original post by SweatyGoldfish
Just got done watching Trainspotting. I didn't really like it...does this make me a bad person? :colondollar:

In a twisted way I think it makes you a "better person" than those of us who love it given what sort of film it is :colone:
Original post by cadaeibfeceh
In a twisted way I think it makes you a "better person" than those of us who love it given what sort of film it is :colone:

Haha I guess:biggrin:.

To be honest I wasn't bothered by the drugs/content or anything, it just didn't click for me, if you know what I mean. I'm terrible at explaining things :colondollar:
Original post by SweatyGoldfish

YES! :tongue:
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
Any genre in particular? :holmes:

No genre in particular, any good movie will do! I still remember when I watched Oldboy... :afraid:
No genre in particular, any good movie will do! I still remember when I watched Oldboy... :afraid:

A random listing of films it is then. Let's see: V for Vendetta, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, The Prestige, Memento, In Bruges, Big Fish, Ocean's Eleven, No Country for Old Men, Catch Me If You Can, Reservoir Dogs, Exam, Gran Torino, The Green Mile, Good Will Hunting, Léon, Los Cronocrímenes, Downfall, Sunshine, Amelie, Primer and The Bourne Identity.

Watch them all if you haven't already seen most. :pierre:

I also have a feeling you would enjoy Donnie Darko. And I think I was the one that forced you to watch Oldboy. :mmm:

Pfft, think Oldboy is bad? Watch Eraserhead.

Quick Reply

Latest