The Student Room Group

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by vitamortis
No genre in particular, any good movie will do! I still remember when I watched Oldboy... :afraid:

You need to go through Takeshi Miike's backlogs, stuff like Visitor Q, Audition and Ichi The Killer lol
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy tomorrow, and MY GOD THE REVIEWS ARE INCREDIBLE, only one 'rotten' review on Rotten Tomatoes. I haven't been this excited since my first trip to Legoland.
Reply 4282
Original post by cadaeibfeceh
And now starts the old Godfather Part I vs Part II debate...

You know, despite saying the quoted just a few hours ago, a short reflection later, I'm realizing that it isn't really that simple. :beard: Part II seems to sink in slower, and a lot of the parts seem better/more meaningful in retrospect than initially.
Original post by Abiraleft
You know, despite saying the quoted just a few hours ago, a short reflection later, I'm realizing that it isn't really that simple. :beard: Part II seems to sink in slower, and a lot of the parts seem better/more meaningful in retrospect than initially.

I found that - when I first saw Part II I thought "yeah not got as much pazzaz as the original, not as much gangster flair" but after a while I started to get more and more drawn to it and now, after several more viewings of both, I consider Part II the better film definitely... weird effect!
Reply 4284
The Break-Up is actually fairly amusing, for what it is. Vince Vaughan carries it, mind.
Quick reviews of recent films seen.

Bad Teacher: As morally repugnant as A Serbian Film and half as funny.

Everything Must Go: Standard, 'my life sucks and I am terrible, I have to sort my life out and become less terrible' dramedy sort of thing. Slightly above average. Will Ferrell is strong and Rebecca Hall is always good to watch.

You Will Meet A Tall Dark Stranger: It's okay, pretty much par for the course wrt Woody Allen's recent stuff. Would be good if he stopped doing the whole 'writer/intellectual going through mid-life, usually sexual, crisis' thing, as he's explored pretty much every aspect of it, but ah well, it's one of his trademarks I suppose.
Reply 4286
Really want to see Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy.
Reply 4287
I was just randomly going over Daniel Day-Lewis' Wikipedia page again, and hello, what's this? An added item on his filmography: Silence, set to release in 2013, to be directed by Scorcese and also starring Benicio Del Toro and Gael García Bernal. I hadn't heard about this at all. Perhaps it's a bit early to say, but with Scorcese and Day-Lewis, I'm already looking forward to it. :biggrin:
Original post by Deshi
After watching Blood and Bone and Undisputed 2 I'm convinced that Michael Jai White is the hardest actor in film today. :holmes:

Have you seen Black Dynamite? That film is awesome.
Black Dynamite is indeed awesome. For the 'Anaconda Malt Liquor' commercial alone.

Also awesome: Gone Baby Gone. Took me a while to get around to it, but I'm glad I got there eventually. Ben Affleck, despite being a mostly bland actor (with a few shining moments, admittedly) is actually a really great director. Kind of reminds me of Eastwood in that manner.
Rumours afloat of a Source Code TV series.
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
Rumours afloat of a Source Code TV series.

They're bringing back Quantum Leap? :excited:

Seriously though, obviously stupid idea, especially as Duncan Jones is in no way involved. Besides MASH and In the Heat of the Night (and possibly another I might be forgetting, I dunno), film-to-tv adaptations rarely, if ever, work out. They tried to make a series of Casablanca. They tried the same with Catch-22. Monstrous failures on both accounts.
A random listing of films it is then. Let's see: V for Vendetta, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, The Prestige, Memento, In Bruges, Big Fish, Ocean's Eleven, No Country for Old Men, Catch Me If You Can, Reservoir Dogs, Exam, Gran Torino, The Green Mile, Good Will Hunting, Léon, Los Cronocrímenes, Downfall, Sunshine, Amelie, Primer and The Bourne Identity.

Watch them all if you haven't already seen most. :pierre:

I also have a feeling you would enjoy Donnie Darko. And I think I was the one that forced you to watch Oldboy. :mmm:

Los Cronocrimenes is the only one I haven't seen out of them. Just finished downloading it, so will watch it now. I couldn't take Downfall seriously after all the parodies lol. But thanks for the recommendations! And yeah, you did recommend Oldboy! :tongue:

You need to go through Takeshi Miike's backlogs, stuff like Visitor Q, Audition and Ichi The Killer lol

Visitor Q looks ****ed up lol. I'll give them a watch!
My thoughts on Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy: EXCELLENT. The acting was remarkable, I couldn't criticise not one performance, and I will bet now that Oldman will at least receive an Oscar nomination for his role as Smiley, he played it with such self-containment and restriction, and completely embodied the character. Saying that, I thought Colin Firth and Benedict Cumberbatch were strong as well (great for the latter, Cumberbatch is such a talented actor and deserves to be appreciated internationally; I hope to see him in more films of this caliber). The cinematography was beautiful (the highlight of the film IMO; so many scenes still stand out clear in my mind and make such an impression), and the score complemented it perfectly. It is a really intelligent film, and although slow-moving and subtle, it resembles the stealth and subtle nature of the characters and the event they are dealing with (which will deter a lot of individuals; my girlfriend who I saw it with said the plot was too convoluted and too slow for her liking, and she asked me to go through the whole plot with her straight after we came out).
I was just randomly going over Daniel Day-Lewis' Wikipedia page again, and hello, what's this? An added item on his filmography: Silence, set to release in 2013, to be directed by Scorcese and also starring Benicio Del Toro and Gael García Bernal. I hadn't heard about this at all. Perhaps it's a bit early to say, but with Scorcese and Day-Lewis, I'm already looking forward to it. :biggrin:

That cast :sogood: Only a year and a bit to go...
Reply 4295
Original post by Nucleolus
My thoughts on Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy: EXCELLENT. The acting was remarkable, I couldn't criticise not one performance, and I will bet now that Oldman will at least receive an Oscar nomination for his role as Smiley, he played it with such self-containment and restriction, and completely embodied the character.

About ****ing time. :colonhash: The lack of recognition for Oldman is absolutely ridiculous.

cadaeibfeceh
I found that - when I first saw Part II I thought "yeah not got as much pazzaz as the original, not as much gangster flair" but after a while I started to get more and more drawn to it and now, after several more viewings of both, I consider Part II the better film definitely... weird effect!

One thing that just struck me...

Spoiler

About ****ing time. :colonhash: The lack of recognition for Oldman is absolutely ridiculous.

One thing that just struck me...

Spoiler

To be honest:

Spoiler

x

Los Cronocrimenes. Total mind-****. :eek4:
Reply 4298
To be honest:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Also, just watched The Godfather Part III. No debates about superiority there. :tongue:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Christien
They're bringing back Quantum Leap? :excited:

Seriously though, obviously stupid idea, especially as Duncan Jones is in no way involved. Besides MASH and In the Heat of the Night (and possibly another I might be forgetting, I dunno), film-to-tv adaptations rarely, if ever, work out. They tried to make a series of Casablanca. They tried the same with Catch-22. Monstrous failures on both accounts.

Buffy The Vampire Slayer? But I know what you mean - this is just a way of remaking Quantum Leap without having to wrangle with the original creators...

Quick Reply

Latest