The Student Room Group

Are more or less people applying to university this year

i brought this issue up in sixth form today and we just couldn't work it out. i'm reading everywhere that more people will be applying to university, but me and a few friends started and think "surely less people are applying/ taking gap years because of the increase in price?" teachers said it's because more people want to go to university, but i woulda have thought the peak for people applying would have been last year since it was the last year of the normal price.

I just don't understand it, someone care to explain?

thought and opinions :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by YB101
i brought this issue up in sixth form today and we just couldn't work it out. i'm reading everywhere that more people will be applying to university, but me and a few friends started and think "surely less people are applying/ taking gap years because of the increase in price?" teachers said it's because more people want to go to university, but i woulda have thought the peak for people applying would have been last year since it was the last year of the normal price.

I just don't understand it, someone care to explain?

thought and opinions :smile:

It was a media myth that applicants were all trying to get in last year. In 2010 there were 686,355 applicants. In 2011 there were 694,535, an increase of only 1.19%. Most of the increase was in overseas students.
Well most universities have put their entry requirments up again for 2012 entry so they must be expecting more people to go.
Intuatively, I would say yes. I imagine less people took a gap year last year. However, I don't think there will be a sharp drop this year, maybe a few less mature students, but I would say they only make up a small percentage of each course. Because of the loans, most people will feel they can still afford to go, and they would actually have to earn more before they have to pay them back.

There may be a small drop in mature and EU students, but there may be a rise in internationals, as there is every year, and 18 year olds, so the competition will be similar, if not the same, with probably only a small difference. University is seen as an aspiration for so many 18 year olds, I think very few will be put off by the increased fees. I wouldn't expect it to be easier than usual to get a place.
Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
maybe a few less mature students, but I would say they only make up a small percentage of each course.

Last year 23.6% of all full-time undergraduates starting courses were aged over 21. If part-time students were included the percentage would be much higher.
Original post by nulli tertius
It was a media myth that applicants were all trying to get in last year. In 2010 there were 686,355 applicants. In 2011 there were 694,535, an increase of only 1.19%. Most of the increase was in overseas students.

I was working with a lecturer for a university and she said the increase in apllicants was more than usual for this year.
My course was over booked as well, so I'm sure the fee increase has a lot to do with it. Who wants to have a gap year when they can save themselves 18grand of debt for the next 30 years?!
Original post by icba-92-icab
I was working with a lecturer for a university and she said the increase in apllicants was more than usual for this year.
My course was over booked as well, so I'm sure the fee increase has a lot to do with it. Who wants to have a gap year when they can save themselves 18grand of debt for the next 30 years?!

That may have been that lecturer's experience for her course but overall it wasn't true. Between 2009 and 2010 applications rose by 8.6% whereas between 2010 and 2011 they only rose by 1.19%. Indeed in 2011, applications fell at a majority of Russell Group universities.
lots of people are taking a gap year, even with good as-levels, so that they can hopefully top-up their A-levels, and get into a better university. I think people still want to go to university, but its more important for them to get somewhere prestigious.
I don't think the hike in price will deter that many people. Uni's always been expensive (not even a profitable investment for many) yet, people go. For the 'experience', for the promise of a good job that you couldn't otherwise get and for postponing the dreaded jobhunt a few years.
Reply 9
Well, this year they are more likely to increase because it is the last year before reduced feas. I have reason to believe, at my Uni at least, that alot of mature students are studying before the fee rise. Next year, it is likley that the number of applicants will decrease as people are weary of the huge debt, which I think is a huge shame.
Reply 10
more or less innit
Our tutors are saying that there will be less applicants for 2012 entry, due to the raised fees, but I think that everyone will start to think like that, thinking that they will find it easier to get into the universities that they want to go to, so I reckon it will be the same amount applying as usual.
*fewer*:redface:
If you get a Transfer into another university for your course next year what is the fee you have to pay?
Last year 23.6% of all full-time undergraduates starting courses were aged over 21. If part-time students were included the percentage would be much higher.

Are you a mature student at 21? I thought it was 25, because that's when you're assessed for student finance independantly of your parents?

Also is that percentage unusually high, or about average?
Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
Are you a mature student at 21? I thought it was 25, because that's when you're assessed for student finance independantly of your parents?

For statistical purposes, they seem to use 21. There is a 3 years independent support rule which means the parental income of most 21-25 year olds is disregarded.

Also is that percentage unusually high, or about average?

It was marginally lower than the year before. The long term trend is upward. The equivalent figure for 2005 was 21.9%
That may have been that lecturer's experience for her course but overall it wasn't true. Between 2009 and 2010 applications rose by 8.6% whereas between 2010 and 2011 they only rose by 1.19%. Indeed in 2011, applications fell at a majority of Russell Group universities.

sources or it isn't true:tongue:

I was looking at some of the stats provided on the UCAS website and it appears that the applications hadn't really increased that dramatically as everyone was expecting. In fact, it was some of the post-92's that had seen the biggest increases.

So are you expecting applications to rise or fall for 2012?
Original post by ultimate mashup
I was looking at some of the stats provided on the UCAS website and it appears that the applications hadn't really increased that dramatically as everyone was expecting. In fact, it was some of the post-92's that had seen the biggest increases.

Exactly

So are you expecting applications to rise or fall for 2012?

I think fall, but this is the first year funding is available for part-time courses and that may have an impact.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending