The Student Room Group

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II

Scroll to see replies

My reaction to The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo is a rather confused one. Weirdly, I can't think of a single problem with it that didn't stem in some way or another from its irritating, one-note source material: it was well-acted, well-directed (obviously) and the soundtrack was beyond reproach. Nevertheless, while it was, I suppose, 'good', it was far from Fincher's best work.

Also saw The Rum Diary, which is largely weak. Depp can be praised for suitably toning down his interpretation of Hunter S. Thompson* from the indulgent chaos of Fear and Loathing while still staying true to the man himself, but there's little else to praise about it. Expected better.

* The "toning down" does include a car battle ending with Depp literally breathing fire, but still.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Pheylan
Natalie Portman in a sequel to Léon - thoughts?

I thought Natalie Portman regretted doing the first one.
Moving away from the Oscars a tad, I just watched 50/50 and it was so good! I cried a little..
I watched Philadelphia last night. What a film.

I'm seeing The Descendants soon as well, which I'm really excited about!
Reply 5584
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
I thought Natalie Portman regretted doing the first one.

Why'd she regret it?

Looking through the Oscars this year I can only conclude 2011 was a ****e year for film
Don't want to see a Leon sequel. The film already had a good ending for Natalie Portman's character.

Just watched The Woman. For all the hype it was getting for being a twisted, disturbing film...I didn't think it was that bad. I can't remember the last time I saw such a strong performance from the lead characters in a horror film too!
Original post by Aj12
Why'd she regret it?

There were reports (though I can't find anything solid at the moment) due to the whole young girl and older man sexual interpretation of the film that some people had. She was uncomfortable with that. However, recent interviews suggest she is quite keen to be involved with a sequel and Luc Besson.
Original post by Aj12
Why'd she regret it?

Looking through the Oscars this year I can only conclude 2011 was a ****e year for film

Original post by Ape Gone Insane
There were reports (though I can't find anything solid at the moment) due to the whole young girl and older man sexual interpretation of the film that some people had. She was uncomfortable with that. However, recent interviews suggest she is quite keen to be involved with a sequel and Luc Besson.

Funnily enough I was reading through her biography on IMDB this morning and in the quotes section it had this:

I had a bad early experience when Leon (1994) (aka The Professional) came out. I'm really proud of the film, but it was strange for me to be looked at as a sexual object when I was 12.
Talking of funny movie posters, here are some funny edits :biggrin:

Spoiler

We've had one of these before, I think. Anyway, here are loads more :biggrin:

i watched confessions of a dangerous mind on netflixx recently, damn damn damn you don't get films that good often.
I really think some films need to turn down their advertising.

There is absolutely no ****ing way im going to see 'The Chronicle' because im just so sick of it.
Original post by cambo211

There is absolutely no ****ing way im going to see 'The Chronicle' because im just so sick of it.

I think it's weird how little opportunities advertising has to effect me. I don't own a TV, and use adblock plus. There's no billboards where I am. Really the only adverts I'm exposed to are before films at the cinema, and as preview screenings (or old screenings of a film) make up the majority of films I now see, those films don't run adverts and trailers before them.

I went down to London at the weekend and I was staggered by how much advertising Man on a Ledge had. It was absolutely everywhere you looked. If I didn't actively seek out and watch trailers I'd never have heard of it before then.
Original post by cambo211

I feel the same about 'The Grey'. God knows how many times I've seen the trailer as a pre-Youtube video ad. Grrrrr.
Go on youtube and search for the redband trailer of "God Bless America" (can't link to it because of swearing).
That looks amazing.
It looks fantastic.
Underworld: Awakening is one of the worst films I have ever seen. If I wanted to watch Kate Beckinsale run around in a tight leather for 88 mins, I'd tape the wallpaper to my bedroom wall and stare at it for 88 ****ing mins. It had no sembelence of a coherent plot other than the re-used Lycan vs Vampire plotline (with an added dimension! ie 'vs Humans' which actually goes nowhere after the first 5 minutes) but oh wait, there are 'Super Lycans' this time around. Kate kicks ass by doing a lot of flips and shooting with two guns at the same time with that same BROODING EXPRESSION ON HER FACE. The dialogue has been copy and pasted from the previous films consisting mainly of the words 'Lycan. Michael. Michael. Super Lycan. Michael?' The film also ends in the same place it started. There's also a hilarious scene which is directly copied and pasted from The Matrix and it makes no sense in the plot but happens anyway.

I need to go wash and then watch the entire Godfather trilogy to cleanse myself of this crap.
Original post by Phalanges
Go on youtube and search for the redband trailer of "God Bless America" (can't link to it because of swearing).

That looks incredible.
Reply 5599
Oh my god they're remaking Seven Samurai and it's going to be SO BAD :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest