The Student Room Group

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II

Scroll to see replies

Reply 5620
Our old version of guess the screen cap was better than the current one, it's basically a big fat pretentious "look how many foreign films I've seen" fest. :colonhash:
I just watched The Tree Of Life, and I loved it. I can understand why it has been met with divided opinions, as you have to be in a very contemplative mindset to fully appreciate it, and to an extent have a particular personality type, otherwise it is easy to judge it as pretentious and self-indulgent.
Just reiterating that LU Cinema is ****ing amazing.

:coma:
Just watched Drive. Wasn't too impressed by it, a well-made film but nothing that really grabbed me which is disappointing after all the good things I had read even though I went in without knowing anything of the plot.

Would probably benefit from a second viewing without the commentary from my housemates running over the top...
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5624
Seeing Carnage on Wednesday, think it's going to be right up my alley.
Reply 5625
They might be bringing in Harrison Ford for 'Blade Runner 2' :holmes:

As someone commented below that article, 'This is either going to be the BEST ****ING THING EVER, or the WORST ****ING THING EVER.' I mean, on the optimistic side, just imagine if Scott rebuilt his career around Prometheus and this Blade Runner sequel. :coma: (On the pessimistic side, the odds of that happening with his recent track form (and the track form of 'the long-awaited sequel to the classic' - apart from a few exceptions) seem rather slim).

For the record, I personally have a pretty bad feeling about this - I think mainly given that it won't have as concrete any source material. That's a lot of responsibility for the scriptwriter.
(edited 12 years ago)
There shouldn't be a sequel at all nevermind one with Ford in it. It would be like Leonardo Di Caprio coming back for Inception 2. Ridley Scott should stick making new films, like he has (pretty much) with Prometheus.

Gladiator proposed sequel:

In 2009, details of Cave's ultimately rejected script surfaced on the internet, suggesting that Maximus would be reincarnated by the Roman gods and returned to Rome to defend Christians against persecution; he would then be transported to other important periods in history, including World War II, the Vietnam War, and finally playing a role in the modern-day Pentagon

Thank **** for that rejection.
Oh wow. That Gladiator sequel sounds like absolute ****.

EDIT: And ****, I'm excited for this new Spider-Man film now. I wasn't before.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5629
Went into HMV today, got 2 of my favourite films for £10. I love how the best movies aren't always the best known... cheaper for me :biggrin:
Original post by Jordan_1

Went into HMV today, got 2 of my favourite films for £10. I love how the best movies aren't always the best known... cheaper for me :biggrin:

What were they?
Reply 5631
Original post by Phalanges
What were they?

City of God and I Saw the Devil. I wouldn't say I saw the devil is one of my top movies but it is is one of my favourite action films.
Just watched the Amazing Spiderman Trailer....I'm a bit undecided atm :s-smilie:. I'm a die-hard spidey fan, and it just doesn't feel like spider-man to me. But there are so many spider-man incarnations that I guess what I may think of as spiderman-esque would be completely different to someone else. I just think that Spider-man 1 and 2 are perfect representations of the true Peter Parker/Spider-man, especially Tobey Maguire as Peter -- Andrew Garfield looks too angsty and not dorky/geeky enough.
Reply 5633
City of God and I Saw the Devil. I wouldn't say I saw the devil is one of my top movies but it is is one of my favourite action films.

Great film. If you enjoyed that I'd also recommend The Man from Nowhere, it's better imo.
Reply 5634
Original post by Deshi
Great film. If you enjoyed that I'd also recommend The Man from Nowhere, it's better imo.

Yeah I've seen it, great film! Amazing fight scenes as well haha. I find Korean action/thriller films so much better than Hollywood ones.
Reply 5635
Original post by Colonel.

EDIT: And ****, I'm excited for this new Spider-Man film now. I wasn't before.

Tbh, I have to say I still don't see anything particularly endearing about it. :dontknow: I hope I'm wrong, but it does look like fairly average film from the trailer to me...

EDIT: Also, just to quash rumours I posted earlier, the producers of the upcoming Blade Runner sequel have denied that Harrison Ford will have anything to do with it.

Aaand, Daniel Radcliffe has criticized the Academy for 'overlooking' the latest Harry Potter film. :teehee:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Abiraleft

"I was watching Hugo the other day and going, 'Why is this nominated and we're not?'

:rofl: What a dick.
Harry can take that elder wand, shove it up his arse, cast expelliarmus :colonhash:
Reply 5638
'Scumbag Samuel'

Saw it on Reddit and it made me laugh, thought you guys might like it
Sci Fi all nighter saturday is go.

Uni Cinema

INCEPTION
JURASSIC PARK
SOURCE CODE
ALIENS
PAUL

£8

9pm-9am