The Student Room Group

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cambo211
I posted a cartoony one a while ago.

http://www.reuno.net/project-game-of-thrones

Yes! Thank you. :h:
I really should see Clash of the Titans but haven't seen Clash of the titans-do you think it will be alight because i really love greek god films.
Are there any Gatsby fans here? What do people think of the upcoming Baz Luhrmann adaptation?
I'm rather apprehensive since I would never have thought that Baz Luhrmann and The Great Gatsby would go well together but I still hope I will be pleasantly surprised.
Original post by sheep_go_baa
Are there any Gatsby fans here? What do people think of the upcoming Baz Luhrmann adaptation?
I'm rather apprehensive since I would never have thought that Baz Luhrmann and The Great Gatsby would go well together but I still hope I will be pleasantly surprised.

Yes! :smile:

I'm excited, but fairly apprehensive about DiCaprio as Gatsby and Tobey Maguire as Nick. A lot of other people have been complaining about Carey Mulligan having been chosen to play Daisy, but she's actually exactly how I pictured her, and I really rate her as an actress, too, so I'm pleased about that casting. I just cannot see DiCaprio as Gatsby, but I hope I'm wrong.

edit: repped for John Green quote :biggrin:
Reply 5944
I think DiCaprio will be a great Gatsby, but not so sure about Tobey Maguire as Nick. Someone like James McAvoy might have been a good shout.
Original post by aja89
I think DiCaprio will be a great Gatsby, but not so sure about Tobey Maguire as Nick. Someone like James McAvoy might have been a good shout.

Yeah, James McAvoy is exactly who I was thinking for Nick! Maguire looks a little too boyish, I think.

They have so much to pull off beyond the casting, so we'll have to see. I'm really excited to see it, though. Shame it doesn't come out til December :frown:
Original post by rainbow drops
Yes! :smile:

I'm excited, but fairly apprehensive about DiCaprio as Gatsby and Tobey Maguire as Nick. A lot of other people have been complaining about Carey Mulligan having been chosen to play Daisy, but she's actually exactly how I pictured her, and I really rate her as an actress, too, so I'm pleased about that casting. I just cannot see DiCaprio as Gatsby, but I hope I'm wrong.

edit: repped for John Green quote :biggrin:

Yay, a nerdfighter :biggrin:

Original post by aja89

I also think DiCaprio would be great, as would Mulligan but I always imagined Nick as a Casey Affleck kinda guy :biggrin:
Watched Step Up 1, 2 and 3. I now want to become a breakdancer. :pierre:

Wrath of the Titans was unsurprisingly ****. **** dialogue and plot. I'm curious about the last film in the trilogy (Last of the Titans?) given the events of this film. Though I can see the villain/monster of the third one coming from a mile away even though there's not been a single mention of him. It's going to be Typhon. There's a pattern with the main villain/monster getting bigger and bigger: Clash - Kraken and Wrath - Kronos. Typhon is the next step up (no pun intended).
Why have I only just found this thread? :nothing:

Hey guys! I'm a student at Warwick who currently works at the Student Cinema as a steward, on the publicity and marketing teams, and also training to become a qualified 35mm film projectionist. To say my uni life revolves around films would be a slight understatement.

Anyway, I look forward to participating in chat in your society! :h:
It's very rare that DiCaprio is put in a position to be the flashier scene-stealing character, he's usually the straight man that binds everything together (the Nick Carraway role). It will be interesting to see if he can pull it off. I'd have gone for someone like Bale, Pitt or Depp, with Joseph Gordon Levitt as Nick.

And I've just finished watching the first season of Homeland. It's amazing, probably one of the best TV seasons in recent years. I'd recommend it to anyone with an interest in spy/political thrillers.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Ape Gone Insane

Wrath of the Titans was unsurprisingly ****. **** dialogue and plot. I'm curious about the last film in the trilogy (Last of the Titans?) given the events of this film. Though I can see the villain/monster of the third one coming from a mile away even though there's not been a single mention of him. It's going to be Typhon. There's a pattern with the main villain/monster getting bigger and bigger: Clash - Kraken and Wrath - Kronos. Typhon is the next step up (no pun intended).

The trilogy is already finished, dude.
Reply 5951
Original post by Ape Gone Insane

Have you seen the new Footloose. It ain't that bad and the girl is banging :pierre:
(edited 12 years ago)
Re-watched Immortals last night... I would give my first-born for a night with Henry Cavill. It has to be against the law to be that ****ing beautiful and have a body as amazing as his :moon:
Why is Rihanna in a film? :nothing:
Because rich people aren't willing to accept that they are only unitalented.
Reply 5955
Original post by JessicaW

To lure on the teens :biggrin:
Anyone going to see Iron Sky? :rofl:
Original post by JessicaW

Because she's got talent :pierre:
http://www.avclub.com/articles/raging-bull-ii-is-still-happening-apparently,72006/

Because when I see a harrowing black-and-white biopic about a man's emotional and physical decline my immediate thought is also 'FRANCHISE'. What exactly are they going to do? Have him join the Justice League?

Original post by sheep_go_baa

I think Baz Luhrmann is an indulgent hack and I wouldn't trust him with a sequel to The Wiggles Movie, let alone one of the formative works of contemporary literature. You can count on him for gorgeous sets, but not much else.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Nirgilis
Anyone going to see Iron Sky? :rofl:

It looks like absolute crap. I might watch it :colone:

Quick Reply

Latest