The Student Room Group

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II

Scroll to see replies

Reply 6160
Please god, not yet another zombie apocalypse film. But dare I say it, this looks set to be the best one yet.

Original post by Abiraleft
Would you recommend it to someone who doesn't generally watch/like horror films? :beard:

Not really. If you're not the kind of person who's watched The Evil Dead, I can't imagine you're going to get all that much out of it. It's a similar case with all of these films like Scream and Shaun of the Dead - if you don't know what they're satirising, you're not going to really appreciate them.

Cabin in the Woods might still work on some level if you just watch it at face value. But if you don't take into account the critique on 80s horror that it's trying to be, then you're ignoring a lot of what makes it unique and interesting. Without that, as a flat horror film it's not particularly special.
Reply 6162
Original post by Phalanges
Not really. If you're not the kind of person who's watched The Evil Dead, I can't imagine you're going to get all that much out of it. It's a similar case with all of these films like Scream and Shaun of the Dead - if you don't know what they're satirising, you're not going to really appreciate them.

Cabin in the Woods might still work on some level if you just watch it at face value. But if you don't take into account the critique on 80s horror that it's trying to be, then you're ignoring a lot of what makes it unique and interesting. Without that, as a flat horror film it's not particularly special.

Ah, I see. I remember you mentioning it might be a film worth watching some weeks ago, when there was hardly anything good out, which is why I asked.
Ah, I see. I remember you mentioning it might be a film worth watching some weeks ago, when there was hardly anything good out, which is why I asked.

I did think it was smart and well done, but I do also think it's very much a genre film - if you don't watch horror, there's not going to be all that there for you. I also think one of it's biggest failings was the complete dismissal of any horror film from the last decade, so particularly if you haven't watched many old horror films you might end up underwhelmed.

But yeah, there's not been a whole lot of note out recently. The Avengers seemed to scare everything off, and I have zero interest in seeing it. But that will hopefully change tonight: I'm seeing The Raid, and it looks incredible.
Reply 6164
I did think it was smart and well done, but I do also think it's very much a genre film - if you don't watch horror, there's not going to be all that there for you. I also think one of it's biggest failings was the complete dismissal of any horror film from the last decade, so particularly if you haven't watched many old horror films you might end up underwhelmed.

But yeah, there's not been a whole lot of note out recently. The Avengers seemed to scare everything off, and I have zero interest in seeing it. But that will hopefully change tonight: I'm seeing The Raid, and it looks incredible.

I've heard very mixed reviews about that one: from rave reviews to complete dismissals. A bit like The Tree of Life. :awesome:

I might sit down and watch a DVD in a little while, actually. :beard:
I've heard very mixed reviews about that one: from rave reviews to complete dismissals. A bit like The Tree of Life. :awesome:

I might sit down and watch a DVD in a little while, actually. :beard:

I think Malick would commit suicide if he heard such comparisons made. The only bad review I read so far was from Roger Ebert, and that review was the final straw for me to be convinced that his opinions and style are completely irrelevant to modern culture. He spent 500 words slagging it off as a videogame.
The Raid looks amazing indeed. Surprisingly, the new Statham film looks alright as well.
Original post by Colonel.
The Raid looks amazing indeed. Surprisingly, the new Statham film looks alright as well.

Statham's the new Vin Diesel - he makes bad films bearable.
Statham's the new Vin Diesel - he makes bad films bearable.

When did Vin Diesel ever do that? Apart from xXx, I mean.
When did Vin Diesel ever do that? Apart from xXx, I mean.

xXx, the Fast & Furious films... hell, I even watched The Pacifier because of him.
Original post by Christien

Catwoman heavy. Pretty good.

Spoiler

Looks so good. You can actually understand Bane quite clearly too.
Reply 6171
I have still yet to see any of the Nolan Batman films. In fact the only Batman film I've ever seen is Batman Returns, which gave me recurring nightmares as a child! Penguin. :afraid:
Reply 6172
Does anyone else feel that these trailers (this one in particular) are a little too revealing, plot-wise? I mean, anyone who's read the comics (Knightfall in particular) will know basically what Bane is about, but watching the above trailer made me feel like I was being given too much information on what was about to happen. :erm:

Still really looking forward to it, of course, but also hoping that I'm wrong.
Does anyone else feel that these trailers (this one in particular) are a little too revealing, plot-wise? I mean, anyone who's read the comics (Knightfall in particular) will know basically what Bane is about, but watching the above trailer made me feel like I was being given too much information on what was about to happen. :erm:

Yeah, this trailer revealed a lot plotwise. Especially about:

Spoiler

Original post by Belowski
Please god, not yet another zombie apocalypse film. But dare I say it, this looks set to be the best one yet.

Those zombies look absolutely hideous, I have to say.

Oh yeah, my first instinct upon seeing that was 'Batman's ****ing dead, eh?' But Nolan is a post-modern kind of director who loves playing tricks on his audience, so I'd take the trailers as a sort of appetiser for the film and not as Nolan showing his hand in uncharacteristically obvious fashion.
Has anyone seen this? Cinema with leather seats and cocktails. I want it.

Original post by Christien
Okay, so The Avengers is great. I was worried about it doing justice to all the characters in the limited screentime; worried about Loki being a compelling antagonist again; worried about the presumed dominance of Downey Jr's Iron Man over the rest of the team (based on the trailers). I am an idiot and should be violently killed. The Avengers is ridiculously fun, sharply written and as excellent a superhero film as you're likely to get this summer.

I saw it on release day in the IMAX. And then I watched it again yesterday.

The Avengers was the best Avengers movie they could have made. It was great. Everything that involved Mark Ruffalo or the Hulk were the highlights for me. It's not in the best films ever, it is basically fight scenes with a bit of banter inbetween, but it's a lot better than I ever imagined. It's a shame that only regular comic readers will get the after credits sequence though.

I'm really enjoying Captain America's character, actually, although I agree that Ruffalo is fantastic.

Original post by noggins
Cabin in the Woods is dreadful! Avoid. One of the worst films I have witnessed in my 28 year lifespan, lol.
Just discovered it was written by the same schmuck behind Cloverfield, which I also thought was utter crap...all makes sense lol.

No, it was directed by the writer of Cloverfield. It was written (and produced) by the genius that brought Firefly into the world.

I guess different people have different tastes, but I genuinely don't see how anyone could say that Cabin in the Woods is a bad film.

Also, you say 'lol' too much.

Would you recommend it to someone who doesn't generally watch/like horror films? :beard:

I'm not a big horror film, and I absolutely loved it.

Original post by JClive
I dont generally watch horror films and I am not a big fan.

But I loved Cabin in the Woods as it is almost a comedy too and it is just great!

I wouldn't say it's much of a comedy. People have described it as a parody, but I'd say it's more about subverting classic horror tropes than parodying them.

I'm aware of the tropes, but I've never actually seen any of the films that CitW satirises.

Yeah, it looks alright. Fortunately, I saw the whole film in the trailer, so I won't need to pay to watch it.
Original post by Jace Falco
No, it was directed by the writer of Cloverfield. It was written (and produced) by the genius that brought Firefly into the world.

Drew Goddard co-wrote the film as well.
Reply 6178
Watched the 2004 Manchurian Candidate this morning. It was ok but seemed to be lacking something. There wasn't really much beyond Denzel acting a bit mental despite supposedly being intelligent and an obvious switch up at the end.
Mean Streets is on iPlayer... I didn't think they were allowed to show good films.

Quick Reply

Latest