The Student Room Group

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II

Scroll to see replies

Reply 7200
Original post by PoGo HoPz
There's no way that voice was Scottish, it was a perfect English accent. Sounded like Patrick Stewart, if you ask me. :holmes:

Sean Connery barely has a Scottish accent in films :mmm: It had the same weird affectation that Connery has in his films, although I imagine the dialogue involving Bane will be redubbed for the DVD release as it is just a nothing for large portions of the film.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
There's no way that voice was Scottish, it was a perfect English accent. Sounded like Patrick Stewart, if you ask me. :holmes:

Yeah, I thought the exact same thing because it reminded me of the X-Men!
Original post by Mess.
x

I'm kind of excited to see where they go with this Superman. I mean, it doesn't seem like they're going to take the typical route with regards to his behaviour and stuff, so it'll be interesting at least.

Oh man, Beckinsale in Total Recall :coma: And while I'm not at all interested in Dredd atm, Lena Headey actually looks like she's done an amazing job in it.
Reply 7203
Original post by Mess.
Oh and was Hardy actually doing Banes voice as it sounded like an almost pitch perfect Connery!

I've not heard it discussed a great deal, but I think Hardy's ability to speak in different voices and accents is extraordinary. In each of the five films I've seen him in - Bronson, Warrior, Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy, Inception and The Dark Knight Rises - he's adopted a difference voice. This wasn't really made clear to me until I watched Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy - in that one, it's pretty drastically different from his others. Great skill for an actor to have, I'd say.
Reply 7204
Original post by Abiraleft
I've not heard it discussed a great deal, but I think Hardy's ability to speak in different voices and accents is extraordinary. In each of the five films I've seen him in - Bronson, Warrior, Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy, Inception and The Dark Knight Rises - he's adopted a difference voice. This wasn't really made clear to me until I watched Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy - in that one, it's pretty drastically different from his others. Great skill for an actor to have, I'd say.

So it is him who actually does the voice? I genuinely thought that someone else was doing it.

A great skill then as you said.

Joseph Gordon-Levitt has really come on from3rd Rock from the Sun. Basically the darling of the most powerful director in the industry at the moment. Should be interesting to see if either him or Bale pop up in Nolans next project as well.

-----

Btw, I was eavesdropping slightly on a conversation yesterday, but why do people go on about inception being ridiculously confusing and they can't get their heads around it :confused: People said the same about The Matrix and the original Mission Impossible. Is there something I'm missing or are people just saying it because the hype tells them to?

It's because a lot of people are dumb.
Was The Matrix really that hard to understand? :lolwut:
Reply 7207

Exactly! There are probably other films but those are the major ones I hear people whingeing about 'having to watch by themselves/confuse them/have to think about to understand' and other such nonsense.

I am also saying this now so it is on the record.

Tom Hardy will be the next James Bond.

...this may or may not be influenced by the fact I watched Inception last night
Reply 7209
Original post by pinkpenguin
I am also saying this now so it is on the record.

Tom Hardy will be the next James Bond.

...this may or may not be influenced by the fact I watched Inception last night

I do think he would play a great Bond and I would go with that :yep:

Nolan has said on record he's love to do a Bond film. So, yno, Hardy might be quite likely.
Original post by Colonel.
Nolan has said on record he's love to do a Bond film. So, yno, Hardy might be quite likely.

Whilst that increases the likelihood of me being right, I'm not sure what I think of that. He'd 'Batman' Bond, so it'll be really dark. Daniel Craig's Bond is entertaining but I don't love it.

I do love me some cheesy Bond :colondollar:
Reply 7212
Whilst that increases the likelihood of me being right, I'm not sure what I think of that. He'd 'Batman' Bond, so it'll be really dark. Daniel Craig's Bond is entertaining but I don't love it.

I do love me some cheesy Bond :colondollar:

The way DC plays Bond he is practically Batman without the suit. He fights in almost the exact same style and has quite similar speech mannerisms. Could easily be a cross between Wayne (with the ladies) and Batman (with the bad guys).

On the Skyfall trailer, where Bond lands on the train with the motorbike and the motorbike is flipping over did anyone else think "Brosnan would have landed on that after the flip"? :mmm:

Original post by Mess.

The Kryptonite and generic power nerfing of superman across a single film annoys me as there is absolutely no consistency. It should be established pretty early on in the films what his physically limitations are as well as whether he can feel physical pain etc. The kryptonite annoyance stems from when he gets in pain from being within 10 feet of a tiny shard but can then lift an island created out of it...

I was about to bring this up in my complaints about the film but then I remembered he was powered up by the Sun and his journey through the Earth's core and then proceeded to enter a coma after lifting the island.

The ending of the third Matrix was hard to understand.
Reply 7214
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
I was about to bring this up in my complaints about the film but then I remembered he was powered up by the Sun and his journey through the Earth's core and then proceeded to enter a coma after lifting the island.

Even with the Superman is like a battery and he absorbs the suns radiation, he still has a limit and lifting an island made of kryptonite is just ridiculous, it essentially renders his one weakness null and void.

People were saying they were confused after the first Matrix :p:

I'm ok with people being confused by poor writing and story lines but simple stories confusing people, confuses me :teeth:

Original post by Ape Gone Insane
How so? All that happened at the end of the third Matrix was Neo venturing into the heart of machine city and defeating the 'Agent Smith' clones, apparently killing himself in the process.

What was so difficult to understand about that? :unsure:
I found it difficult to understand why the sequels were made in the first place
How so? All that happened at the end of the third Matrix was Neo venturing into the heart of machine city and defeating the 'Agent Smith' clones, apparently killing himself in the process.

What was so difficult to understand about that? :unsure:

That's not all that happened in the ending.

The film is littered with countless layers of symbolism, metaphors and (pseudo) philosophy which play a huge role in how the plot comes together but these don't come across particularly well. Whilst Smith had a virus like development in the Matrix (which would ultimately be detrimental for the machines, how it was never explained - giving Neo leverage), it was hard for the plot to convey the connection between Neo and Smith (beginning and the end - a result of the equation balancing itself out), the system crash that would result if Neo did not stop Smith, why then the machines couldn't just reload the Matrix - did Smith's coding contain a part of Neo(?), why Smith had been allowed to infect Neo with all the fighting inbetween, the Oracle's continued influence over Smith despite being infected, and the importance of Neo being the intersection between the Matrix and the real world - which ultimately allowed the machine to send an energy burst (like killing a virus) through Neo after he had been infected. The assimilation (sacrifice) of Neo (+1 in the equation) by Smith (-1 in the equation) allowed the whole thing to balance and the Machines to leap and delete/reboot the whole thing because they had a direct connection via Neo being plugged in. And then there's the whole thing with the Matrix being rebooted. :poo:

If you compare this ending to the first Matrix where he is 'killed' by Smith and, according to both prophecies: he can't be the One until he dies and Trinity's love is Neo and her love would be the One and therefore the One can't actually be dead - kiss kiss, he's revived as the true One - able to manipulate the Matrix at will. And then he flies off.

I know right. :nooo: The good thing is that the first film ends in a way which pretty much closes off and doesn't openly invite a sequel so you can watch it and pretend everything after didn't happen.

$$$
Reply 7219
Christopher Nolan is apparently interested in directing Bond 24. I'd like that. Presumably we would have Christian Bale as Bond, Michael Caine as Q, Morgan Freeman as Felix and Marion Cotillard as the Bond girl with roles for Gary Oldman Tom Hardy. :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest