The Student Room Group

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Harolinho

Oh btw anybody else notice that Looper has 100% on rotten tomatoes atm?

Yeah, we noticed. Quite a jump from the 20-30% rotten rating I was expecting. To be fair, the trailer gives off a very generic science fiction action film feel, along the lines of similar films: Push, Jumper, In Time and Total Recall. It's on my radar now, though watching JGL with that weird prosthetic make-up he has, to make him look like Bruce Willis, may be a bit disconcerting.
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
Yeah, we noticed. Quite a jump from the 20-30% rotten rating I was expecting. To be fair, the trailer gives off a very generic science fiction action film feel, along the lines of similar films: Push, Jumper, In Time and Total Recall. It's on my radar now, though watching JGL with that weird prosthetic make-up he has, to make him look like Bruce Willis, may be a bit disconcerting.

I dunno, I do like the look of this a lot. Jumper and In time were both a lot of fun but not necessarily 'good films', I think the the parallel that a critic makes with 12 monkeys looks quite fitting. It'll be interesting to see what happens to that 100% rating once the film get's officially released.
What was Movie Madness?
Reply 7483
Original post by Colonel.
What was Movie Madness?

This was Movie Madness :h:

(There's a description in the first stickied thread)

And oh, in case people missed it, the South Korean film Pieta won the Golden Lion at Venice, a bit against expectations: it seems most people expected The Master to take it. The latter won the Silver Lion (for direction). The Jury Prize went to Austrian director Ulrich Seidl's Paradise: Faith, and the screenplay award went to Assayas' Something in the Air.

And if you hadn't heard, Malick's latest film (To The Wonder) was again greeted by boos and hisses. :dry: The critics' verdict so far seems to be that it's good but comes a bit short of matching its own ambition.
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
Where have you seen advertising or marketing for Wreck It Ralph that does this? I've never seen anything in promotional material for the film that suggests this slant. If anything the film seems to say "this is for all you animated film lovers out there!" with a couple of brief cameos from other arcade games, which seems entirely appropriate given the film is based on the premise of a character from an arcade game.

I wouldn't mind that paragraph from the list I posted; it was written by the film equivalent of a TotoMimo, hyperboles and generalisations everywhere.

Fair enough, I was making a pretty tired throwaway comment from reading what you'd copied and piecing it together with an old half-memory of the trailer.
Original post by Abiraleft
This was Movie Madness :h:

(There's a description in the first stickied thread)

And oh, in case people missed it, the South Korean film Pieta won the Golden Lion at Venice, a bit against expectations: it seems most people expected The Master to take it. The latter won the Silver Lion (for direction). The Jury Prize went to Austrian director Ulrich Seidl's Paradise: Faith, and the screenplay award went to Assayas' Something in the Air.

And if you hadn't heard, Malick's latest film (To The Wonder) was again greeted by boos and hisses. :dry: The critics' verdict so far seems to be that it's good but comes a bit short of matching its own ambition.

Reading that back, I've actually seen M now. :ninja:
Reply 7486
When is this years Movie Madness? :teeth: I'd like to see Shawshank get thrown off :p:
If we did a Movie Madness, which I'd be happy to run, I wouldn't want it to be the same films again.
Reply 7488
If we did a Movie Madness, which I'd be happy to run, I wouldn't want it to be the same films again.

How did certain films end up being pitted against each other.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by Mess.
How did certain films end up being pitted against each other.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

imdb top 64 and then I think it was seeded like 1st vs 64th.
Reply 7490

Course not :wink: We have The Dark Knight Rises now :p:

I wouldn't mind helping out either :smile:
Reply 7491
Original post by Deshi
:yep:

I think it's the whole black and white thing. I've seen and loved films like Taxi Driver, The Godfather, Apocalypse Now etc.

Fair enough, I suppose. Although I would opine that you're missing out a massive amount if you shun black-and-white films altogether. :p:

Out of interest, what do you think of the more popular b/w films like Casablanca and Psycho?

Original post by Phalanges
Reading that back, I've actually seen M now. :ninja:

:p: Did you like it? Have you seen Metropolis? M has been on my list for a while now. :colondollar:

Agreed. What do you think would be a viable alternative source? The easy one that came to mind was the AFI Top 100 list, but that's only American films, which I wouldn't be too keen on enforcing. One way I suppose we might do it is take the Oscar Best Picture nominees of a given number/pattern/period of years, or something like that. There could be other ways as well. :holmes:

Original post by Revent
Course not :wink: We have The Dark Knight Rises now :p:

I'd agree that has a significant chance of winning a Best Film Ever competition at the moment if it was included. :lol:
I would say 32 people nominate a film each and those are the films. If some people choose the same film, they both have to change.

I dunno.
Reply 7493
Fair enough, I suppose. Although I would opine that you're missing out a massive amount if you shun black-and-white films altogether. :p:

Out of interest, what do you think of the more popular b/w films like Casablanca and Psycho?

Haven't seen Casablanca, Psycho was alright, we watched it in school.

I ordered a bunch of films the other day including The Hunger Games, Prometheus, 21 Jump Street, Project X and one or two others. I'm bound to like one of them :p:
Reply 7494

I'd agree that has a significant chance of winning a Best Film Ever competition at the moment if it was included. :lol:

I hope not! I loved it, but don't think it's the best ever! :lol:

I think choosing from IMDB automatically adds bias because people may be inclined to vote for the one that's already higher.

ie, I can think of a lot of films better than Shawshank but if someone asks me for a list of favourites, it always pops up because I remember it's no 1 on IMDB :lol:

Re: Alternative, I think user selected films that have been nominated more than 3 (or x) times get added?
Reply 7495
Still haven't seen Inception.
Dredd is immense.
Has anyone seen Cannibal Holocaust? Found an old VHS of it and want to see it but don't know if it's any good.
Reply 7498
Anyone heard much about the new Richard Gere movie Arbitrage? I hadn't heard about it at all until recently but it seems to be getting pretty good initial reviews. :holmes:
Reply 7499
Wow. Christopher Walken has been on a roll lately. He's been going to be in Seven Psychopaths, Stand Up Guys (The one with Al Pacino and Alan Arkin) and now this little indie gem. [video="youtube;vXFOYmsYCTA"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXFOYmsYCTA&feature=player_embedded[/video]
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest