The Student Room Group

Percentage atom economy help! + pos rep

Completely forgotten how to do this, could someone explain pls and also write down the percentage a economy formula cos I kinda forgot it :colondollar: positive rep WILL be given!!!

In the past 150 years, three different processes have been used to extract bromine from potassium bromide. These processes are illustrated below.

Extraction Process 1
2KBr + MnO2 + 2H2SO4 MnSO4 + K2SO4 + 2H2O + Br2

Extraction Process 2

The reaction of solid potassium bromide with concentrated sulfuric acid.

Extraction Process 3

The reaction of aqueous potassium bromide with chlorine gas.

Write an equation for Extraction Process 2 and an equation for Extraction Process 3. Calculate the percentage atom economy for the extraction of bromine from potassium bromide by Extraction Process 3. Suggest why Extraction Process 3 is the method in large-scale use today.
Reply 1
Original post by xDesertRose
Completely forgotten how to do this, could someone explain pls and also write down the percentage a economy formula cos I kinda forgot it :colondollar: positive rep WILL be given!!!

In the past 150 years, three different processes have been used to extract bromine from potassium bromide. These processes are illustrated below.

Extraction Process 1
2KBr + MnO2 + 2H2SO4 MnSO4 + K2SO4 + 2H2O + Br2

Extraction Process 2

The reaction of solid potassium bromide with concentrated sulfuric acid.

Extraction Process 3

The reaction of aqueous potassium bromide with chlorine gas.

Write an equation for Extraction Process 2 and an equation for Extraction Process 3. Calculate the percentage atom economy for the extraction of bromine from potassium bromide by Extraction Process 3. Suggest why Extraction Process 3 is the method in large-scale use today.

I presume you know how to write out the balanced equations.

Percentage atom economy is given by:

Mass of desired productTotal mass of reactants×100\dfrac{\mathrm{Mass\ of \ desired \ product}}{\mathrm{Total \ mass \ of \ reactants}} \times 100

Use the Ar and Mr values in the equation. :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by usycool1
I presume you know how to write out the balanced equations.

Percentage atom economy is given by:

Mass of desired productTotal mass of reactants×100\dfrac{\mathrm{Mass\ of \ desired \ product}}{\mathrm{Total \ mass \ of \ reactants}} \times 100

Use the Ar and Mr values in the equation. :smile:

Thanks! Also how would you write out the equation for process 2?
Reply 3
Original post by xDesertRose
Thanks! Also how would you write out the equation for process 2?

There are a few possible answers for this question, I think. The products formed could be:

KHSO4 or K2SO4
Br2
SO2
H2O

See if you can write a balanced equation now. :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by usycool1
There are a few possible answers for this question, I think. The products formed could be:

KHSO4 or K2SO4
Br2
SO2
H2O

See if you can write a balanced equation now. :smile:

Yep seems to be simple now :tongue: thanks
calculate atom economy of iron from iron oxide.

Fe2 O3+3CO= 2Fe+3CO2

Latest