The Student Room Group

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Abiraleft
Sean Penn's not good in it, then? :frown: He looked great in the trailer.

Afraid so :sadnod: First bad thing I've seen from him.
Original post by Svenjamin
+1 on not liking airplane. Its just a series of one liners and visual gags that attempt to beat you into submission! Being able to see the unfunny punchlines so blatantly makes it all the less funny. There may be some merit in that approach (afterall, Tim Vine and Milton Jones still have jobs), but I find it juvenile and charmless.

Its like the jokes in Christmas crackers. I can see there is a joke there, but it's not in the slightest bit funny.

There's actually a psychology behind Christmas cracker jokes. The jokes are deliberately fabricated to be quite un-funny, so everybody present in the reading of the joke can, in unison, denigrate the terribleness of it all. It's all about union through denigration. I think more upmarket humour would be very hit and miss, and so it wouldn't quite bring people together as effectively.

Back to the film talk: I'm also not a great fan of Airplane, though I did enjoy my first viewing. I'd never go back to it, mind. Leslie Nielsen was a better straight actor, in my honest opinion.

I recently discovered a Yukio Mishima biographical film, entitled Mishima: A Life in Four Chapters, which I'm about to sink my teeth into. A lot of buffs consider it not so factually accurate, though I'm in it for both entertainment and illumination.

Oh, and I watched Django Unchained last night. I'll make this short and sweet: I didn't like the over-the-top tomato sauce blood effects, nor did I like DiCaprio as a slave owner (he was terribly miscast), and I absolutely hate hate hated the modern day, obscenely anachronistic hip hop scoring. Really, that was just godawful. I did, however, find myself praising the acting of Christopher Waltz, and the good doctor that was his character. I'd never heard of him before now, and his singular performance earned a place on my favourite actors list.

Favourite scene: When the doctor and Calvin conclude their business agreement, and Calvin insists on a handshake, stating that it's a southern custom, and that no business dealing is completed until the handclasp has been, well... clasped. Let's just say that entire scene was Derringilicious!
(edited 11 years ago)
Abrams to direct Star Wars Episode VII, apparently: http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/01/24/jj-abrams-to-direct-star-wars-episode-vii?abthid=5101ab818edfc2245c0000cd

If true, I guess it's a guarantee that it will be solid. Whether it will be great is a different thing entirely. There are things about his style that irritate me, but he hasn't made an outright bad film yet.
Original post by Plato's Trousers
How do you know? It's not released yet.

Yes, because films are absolutely unattainable until they've been released in cinemas.

Learn2internet
Original post by Christien
Abrams to direct Star Wars Episode VII, apparently: http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/01/24/jj-abrams-to-direct-star-wars-episode-vii?abthid=5101ab818edfc2245c0000cd

If true, I guess it's a guarantee that it will be solid. Whether it will be great is a different thing entirely. There are things about his style that irritate me, but he hasn't made an outright bad film yet.

Relevant reaction shot:

Spoiler

Genuinely shocked by this news. I think it's a good thing. Just lay off the lens flare, eh? Any news on what's happening with Star Trek then? Can he seriously do both?
Original post by philistine
Yes, because films are absolutely unattainable until they've been released in cinemas.

Learn2internet

C'mon, don't be so rude.
Original post by pinkpenguin
Relevant reaction shot:

Spoiler

Genuinely shocked by this news. I think it's a good thing. Just lay off the lens flare, eh? Any news on what's happening with Star Trek then? Can he seriously do both?

I don't...mind this news. I don't love it, but it makes sense. He doesn't have a concrete 'style' as such (besides lens flares and shakycam in that one film) but that could make him even better suited to it, Star Wars having its own established visual style and all. Star Trek was also a pretty good reboot, and in terms of providing a digestible, entertaining action film divorced from nebulous TOS continuity he succeeded magnificently. However, Star Wars isn't in need of reinvention, but a return to what made the Original Trilogy great in the first place. He's a known fan and could well deliver, but I still don't know about this.
What is the best film of the year (so far) in your opinion?
Original post by Iamyourfather

Of 2013?

I haven't seen any released this year yet.
Original post by danny111
Of 2013?

I haven't seen any released this year yet.

Yeah.

Or those which were released in 2012 but were acclaimed and really talked about in 2013.
Hadn't seen this Star Trek trailer before.

Yeah.

Or those which were released in 2012 but were acclaimed and really talked about in 2013.

Which ones are you thinking about?

My favourite one I am looking forward to the most is Kick-Ass 2 but that's not til June.
Original post by danny111
Which ones are you thinking about?

My favourite one I am looking forward to the most is Kick-Ass 2 but that's not til June.

Les Mis, Django, Agro, Life of Pi...
Les Mis, Django, Agro, Life of Pi...

:smile:

I've only seen Argo of those so far, and while I thought it was good, I didn't think it was that amazing. Don't think it is deserving of best picture.

Les Mis for me. But guess either Zero Dark Thirty and/or Lincoln (both out tomorrow) will overtake it.

And your best?
Original post by Hugo Rune
Les Mis for me. But guess either Zero Dark Thirty and/or Lincoln (both out tomorrow) will overtake it.

And your best?

Django but I wouldn't say it was sensational.

I can't imagine Lincoln really appealing to a British audience, particularly the young British audience.

From what I can see, Zero Dark Thirty hasn't really been publicised enough in the UK. It's a shame as it looks really good.

Do you know when Avatar 2 comes out?
Django but I wouldn't say it was sensational.

I can't imagine Lincoln really appealing to a British audience, particularly the young British audience.

From what I can see, Zero Dark Thirty hasn't really been publicised enough in the UK. It's a shame as it looks really good.

Do you know when Avatar 2 comes out?

Yeah, Django was decent and nothing more imo.

Hmmm, don't know how either Lincoln or ZDT would do overall at box office - all I know is they're what I'll be choosing to see. I think ZDT will get a viewership (or more of a viewership) because of the controversy it has around it. But it looks like a tough week for the pair of them as there's an Arnie film and a comedy also up for release.

Not a clue on Avatar 2. I still haven't seen the first :colondollar:
Reply 8257

If 2011 films released in cinemas in 2012 count, Once Upon A Time in Anatolia.

If not, Beasts of the Southern Wild. :yep:

A couple of films that I think might change my mind on the latter: Amour, Holy Motors, Berberian Sound Studio... maybe a couple of others that don't come to mind. :colondollar:
Going to see Zero Dark Thirty later tonight, I have high hopes.
Reply 8259
Re-watching The Avengers atm.

Why does Hulk go nutty first time round and then able to control himself the second time?

Quick Reply

Latest