The Student Room Group

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by danny111
That is like the last fifth of the film...

And it's a very well made last fifth of the film too.

Don't get me wrong, it's good. But since Bourne, everything in that vein has a similar look and feel. I guess I was just imagining something a bit more original, that's all.

And, for the record, I think the accusations that it supports torture are stupid. It depicts it, but that's because it's part of the story. If anything, I'd say the movie shows torture wasn't especially helpful in this operation.

Not showing torture would have been dishonest.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Plato's Trousers
And it's a very well made last fifth of the film too.

Don't get me wrong, it's good. But since Bourne, everything in that vein has a similar look and feel. I guess I was just imagining something a bit more original, that's all.

And, for the record, I think the accusations that it supports torture are stupid. It depicts it, but that's because it's part of the story. If anything, I'd say the movie shows torture wasn't especially helpful in this operation.

Not showing torture would have been dishonest.

I totally agree. I mean the one thing that got Ammar to talk (in the movie at least) was tricking him. He may have been put into that position to believe more easily by torture, but I don't think water boarding and beating him had that much to do with it.
Original post by G8D
So I've just went and watched Prometheus as well. I quite enjoyed it.

Few gripes.

Spoiler

EDIT: everyone has probably seen the film but I'll spoiler it anyway.

Unfortunately your first gripe can be explained by it being a poorly written and edited film :sad: I really enjoyed it for the ride it was, but the script and pacing/editing of the film just meant it became super confusing and ambiguous. If it was well-written it could have been one of the best sci fi movies of all time. Hoping the sequel can do better..

With regards to the second one:

Spoiler

Original post by G8D
So what...

Spoiler

the snakes were worms + the goo stuff. When they first enter the room the camera shows a close up of some worms in the mud by the goo cannisters

Prometheus is a terrible terrible film. Everything about it is a shambles. I honestly don't know where to begin. The terrible teaser trailer that showed several of the most important scenes? The terrible script that kept talking about faith like an A Level philosophy student? The nonsensical narrative where characters make bizarre choices that are never explained? Just a mess.
(edited 11 years ago)
Saw Lincoln earlier... Anyone else seen? Thoughts?

I came back from it disappointed. This should have been a movie that was right up my street. Lots of talking, good acting, interesting characters and subject matter. Thought the cast were good and the various sub-plots alongside Lincoln's main arc were fine (Tommy Lee Jones's character and the trio of people hired by Lincoln of most note). But Spielberg ruins it. He cannot resist cranking up the score and force-feeding me the films message. I'm all for a degree of sentimentality but I feel like this needed a lighter touch. Ergh - quite angry!

Better films I've seen recently: Hiroshima mon amour and Anatomy of a Murder
Original post by G8D
A so they were just bigger worms?

I didn't like the religious aspect of it all. I couldn't tell if they were making a mockery of faith or promoting or. Or maybe it was just there for no reason.

It struck me watching it about the teasers. IIRC we seen the Engineer head, the ship crashing. Well that's the important parts that I remember. Quite important plot points, really.

I agree it's a bit of a messed up film. I *think* some of the answers will come later.

On the religious front, I was under the impression that:

Spoiler

Reply 8286
Back from Lincoln. 8/10.

Guaranteed Oscar for Daniel Day Lewis, Tommy Lee Jones deserves his too in my opinion.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Hugo Rune
Saw Lincoln earlier... Anyone else seen? Thoughts?

I came back from it disappointed. This should have been a movie that was right up my street. Lots of talking, good acting, interesting characters and subject matter. Thought the cast were good and the various sub-plots alongside Lincoln's main arc were fine (Tommy Lee Jones's character and the trio of people hired by Lincoln of most note). But Spielberg ruins it. He cannot resist cranking up the score and force-feeding me the films message. I'm all for a degree of sentimentality but I feel like this needed a lighter touch. Ergh - quite angry!

Better films I've seen recently: Hiroshima mon amour and Anatomy of a Murder

Absolutely spot on!

I went last night and felt exactly the same. Superb acting from DDL (and most if the cast), but I could have done without the overly manipulative handling. Spielberg simply can't help himself. We do not need swelling strings to tell us something important's happening FFS! Let the drama speak for itself.

Certainly worth seeing, but I really hope it doesn't sweep the board at the Oscars (ticking all the boxes as it certainly does). There have been far better films this year.
(edited 11 years ago)
I thought Prometheus was a good film underneath it's questionable flaws and one super annoying character, that gormless gimp in a white shirt who looked like he should be modeling for some crappy clothes catalog. Useless actor.

Anyway, just saw The Town and thought it was a good heist film, but a couple of the scenes were simply too far-fetched. If anyone else has seen it maybe they can help make sense of these scenes?

Spoiler

Prometheus was pure garbage. It was especially pathetic considering how the studios were promoting it as some masterpiece before the movie's release :rolleyes: The most sad and pitiable thing for Ridley Scott and his hack writers is the fact that most of the hate came from the fanboys of the Alien franchise :biggrin:
Original post by Plato's Trousers
Absolutely spot on!

I went last night and felt exactly the same. Superb acting from DDL (and most if the cast), but I could have done without the overly manipulative handling. Spielberg simply can't help himself. We do not need swelling strings to tell us something important's happening FFS! Let the drama speak for itself.

Certainly worth seeing, but I really hope it doesn't sweep the board at the Oscars (ticking all the boxes as it certainly does). There have been far better films this year.

I'm surprised it's been so well received critically. The most it deserves at the Oscars would be some acting categories wins, costume and maybe cinematography. It'll probably clean up however :sigh:
I'm surprised it's been so well received critically. The most it deserves at the Oscars would be some acting categories wins, costume and maybe cinematography. It'll probably clean up however :sigh:

It's about Lincoln, American hero. It was always going to be over-rated.
I don't know what it is, but Lincoln just strikes me as an extremely dull film. I have no intention of watching it unless I became an insomniac and sleeping tablets fail to do the job.
It's about Lincoln, American hero. It was always going to be over-rated.

True.

Original post by Ape Gone Insane
I don't know what it is, but Lincoln just strikes me as an extremely dull film. I have no intention of watching it unless I became an insomniac and sleeping tablets fail to do the job.

It's not dull - there's enough happening alongside the abolishing slavery part. But I wouldn't recommend wasting money on a cinema visit for it. When it pops up on TV at some point it's worth checking out, despite the faults.
There's a Diana film coming out in the future, I think. The Academy will throw Oscars at that..
Original post by pinkpenguin
There's a Diana film coming out in the future, I think. The Academy will throw Oscars at that..

After The Queen and The Iron Lady it was only a matter of time. Wonder who will pay Diana? None of the big stars look anything like her. They'll probably go for Keira Knightley as token British actress... :/
Original post by Svenjamin
After The Queen and The Iron Lady it was only a matter of time. Wonder who will pay Diana? None of the big stars look anything like her. They'll probably go for Keira Knightley as token British actress... :/

Why Keira Knightley? Plenty of other British actresses out there, and several that at least don't look as totally different (Kate Winslet).
Original post by Svenjamin

It's Naomi Watts. Dunno if she's a brit or not but she is a good choice imo

Edit: Imdb info about it - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1758595/
It's Naomi Watts. Dunno if she's a brit or not but she is a good choice imo

Yea I thought of her as well, good choice.
Yea I thought of her as well, good choice.

:yep: It's directed by the bloke who did Downfall/der Untergang as well so fingers crossed it turns out good.

Quick Reply

Latest