The Student Room Group

Urgent help rearranging this please

Hi, I don't actually take a-level maths but I do A2 physics and I'm really struggling at the moment. Could someone please help me rearranged this formula...

Basically, we plot a graph of V/t and calculate a gradient.

We're then given the equation:
V=V0e-t/RC

We know the value for our gradient (V/t), V0 and R. We need to rearrange the equation to get the value for C.

Everyone in my class does a-level maths and I know they ln it all and use y=mx+c but I don't really understand the relevance of that.

I'd be so grateful for any help on this. I have an accessed practical soon and I need to be able to find the value of C from the above data myself in exam conditions. :s-smilie: Thank you sooooo much! :biggrin: x
Reply 1
Original post by Sparkliest
Hi, I don't actually take a-level maths but I do A2 physics and I'm really struggling at the moment. Could someone please help me rearranged this formula...

Basically, we plot a graph of V/t and calculate a gradient.

We're then given the equation:
V=V0e-t/RC

We know the value for our gradient (V/t), V0 and R. We need to rearrange the equation to get the value for C.

Everyone in my class does a-level maths and I know they ln it all and use y=mx+c but I don't really understand the relevance of that.

I'd be so grateful for any help on this. I have an accessed practical soon and I need to be able to find the value of C from the above data myself in exam conditions. :s-smilie: Thank you sooooo much! :biggrin: x

VV0=etRC\frac{V}{V_0}=e^{-\frac{t}{RC}}
so
lnVV0=tRCln\frac{V}{V_0}=-\frac{t}{RC}
Solve for C

Quick Reply

Latest