The Student Room Group

Any help on these two GCSE questions very much appreciated

Hey there! Would anyone be able to lend a hand? I’m completely clueless as to where to start with question 20 (circle on the graph with simultaneous equation) - bonus; what is this topic called? Question 17 too please!

Thank you so much

https://pmt.physicsandmathstutor.com/download/Maths/GCSE/Past-Papers/Edexcel/Paper-1H/QP/Nov%202021%20QP.pdf
Reply 1
For question 20 you'll have to rearrange second question to make y the subject,then draw the line on graph.The points of intersection will be the two x and y values.
Iirc😅
Reply 2
hiii so basically
draw the line of y = 2x + 1 (rearranged version of y - 2x = 1) on the same graph as the given circle graph
(you can do so by writing up a table of x and y values and plotting them, or just by drawing a line with gradient 2 going through (0,1) as its y intercept)
the points where the graphs intersect are the solutions
hope that helps :smile:
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 3
q20's topic i think comes under graphs and graphical solutions
Reply 4
I found the markscheme for your exam online if youd like the link!For q17 you'll also need to draw lines,first rearranging it.
Link is here to aid: https://revisionmaths.com/sites/mathsrevision.net/files/imce/1ma1-1h-rms-20220113.pdf
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 5
for q17, rearrange the first inequality to get y as the subject, which should give you y < (x-4) / 2
draw this line (dotted line) on the graph and shade the area for where the y coordinates of each point is less than its (x coordinate - 4)/2
for the second line, draw the dotted line at which x = 3, and shade the area where the x coordinates are less than 3
for the third line, do the same as the first but with this equation
the region r is where all three separate areas overlap
Find the 2 points of the line y-2x=1 when y=6 or -6 and them to form a line. The intersects are the estimated solutions to the question.

Anthony
Mathemathes Tutor
Original post by DGG78
For question 20 you'll have to rearrange second question to make y the subject,then draw the line on graph.The points of intersection will be the two x and y values.
Iirc😅

Thank you so much! I never knew how to do it, and it’s come up in a good few papers now haha. Cheers! :smile:
Original post by nayana_s
hiii so basically
draw the line of y = 2x + 1 (rearranged version of y - 2x = 1) on the same graph as the given circle graph
(you can do so by writing up a table of x and y values and plotting them, or just by drawing a line with gradient 2 going through (0,1) as its y intercept)
the points where the graphs intersect are the solutions
hope that helps :smile:

Absolute angel. Thank you so much! Super helpful :smile:
Original post by Anthonywmhui
Find the 2 points of the line y-2x=1 when y=6 or -6 and them to form a line. The intersects are the estimated solutions to the question.

Anthony
Mathemathes Tutor

Thanks!
Reply 10
Original post by crochetingduck
Thank you so much! I never knew how to do it, and it’s come up in a good few papers now haha. Cheers! :smile:

no problem!! :smile:
if you want an explanation of the topic that's a bit more understandable and coherent than mine, i'd recommend watching the gcse maths tutor's video on it (linked below) whenever you have time (as rare as that can be 😭)
Graphical Inequalities & Shaded Regions | GCSE Maths Tutor (youtube.com)
his videos cover pretty much all of gcse maths and really came in clutch for me last year with the harder questions towards the end of the papers so i'd 100% recommend, even if its on 2x speed lmao x
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 11
Original post by crochetingduck
Absolute angel. Thank you so much! Super helpful :smile:

no problem!! :smile: <3
(edited 2 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest