The Student Room Group
Students relaxing
University of Derby
Derby
Visit website

Live Q&A session

Scroll to see replies

Original post by UoD-EHS-Buddy
Hi, ok it will be fine, don't worry about it. I have friends who live 2 hours away. As soon as you get into the routine you should be fine. Also, if you explain your concerns to your tutors they can help make it flexible for you.

You can choose either Thursday or Friday. I am doing both days at the minute. Yes, you can find your own placement. Some students chose placements close to their home. During the first few days at University, the lecturers ask of three different placements or areas you would like to attend and they will help place you, or you can do this yourself.

For information on FdA children's and young people's services, I would advise on attending the next open day on Saturday 16th March. The open days are really good to go to; you can even looks at other courses you may be interested in. If you can't attend please look at the following days on this link: http://www.derby.ac.uk/study/opendays/book/derby/

That's great thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile
Students relaxing
University of Derby
Derby
Visit website
Original post by Crazyalex123
Thanks =) I have the booking fee delayed till first funding of student finance.

Another question: Is there a place at the university to help students get part-time jobs?

Hi Alex,

The University of Derby has a Student Employment Agency (SEA) which helps students get part time and temporary jobs.

There are many different opportunities available through the SEA such as helping out on open days, helping academic staff clear out offices and doing research for various departments.

The work is very vaired and you only accept jobs when you are available to work them. There is no obligation to accept work, which means that you can do as much or as little as you want.

The rates are very competitive and are above minimum wage.

This is a great way for students to earn a bit of extra money without having the commitment of a contracted job. If, however, you would like a contracted job with set hours, these are also available through the SEA as local employers come to the University looking for student employees.

I hope this helps you.

Stacey.
Reply 22
Most students do get a part time job for an extra bit of cash; however some students don't and can handle their money well (which is not hard). However, some students get part-time jobs to extend their CV. It depends on what specifically you want from the part-time job.

I would advise a part-time job for your CV and it is great for that extra bit of cash, it all adds up. But, I would also advise you to take a few lectures and see how you can handle your University work and see if you still have enough time for a part-time job.

Also, the University also gives the students an opportunity to work for the Student employment Agency: http://www.derby.ac.uk/student-employment-agency
Applying for this can help you be employed to work for open days, work for the University and advertise the University in schools and colleges. This is a very flexible employment opportunity and helps you find a job when you want it and have time for this as well. The University keeps you regularly updated on the current jobs available. The pay is great as well, ranging from £6.39- £7.50 + depending on the job.

Hi Alex,

The University of Derby has a Student Employment Agency (SEA) which helps students get part time and temporary jobs.

There are many different opportunities available through the SEA such as helping out on open days, helping academic staff clear out offices and doing research for various departments.

The work is very varied and you only accept jobs when you are available to work them. There is no obligation to accept work, which means that you can do as much or as little as you want.

The rates are very competitive and are above minimum wage.

This is a great way for students to earn a bit of extra money without having the commitment of a contracted job. If, however, you would like a contracted job with set hours, these are also available through the SEA as local employers come to the University looking for student employees.

I hope this helps you.

Stacey.

Wow!
This helps a lot! Thank you! More money the merrier =P Could you elaborate on the research for various departments? What could this involve?

Final question: The course I will doing is Computer Games Programming and there is a placement year. Is this definitely at a games company?
Wow!
This helps a lot! Thank you! More money the merrier =P Could you elaborate on the research for various departments? What could this involve?

Final question: The course I will doing is Computer Games Programming and there is a placement year. Is this definitely at a games company?

Hi Alex,

The work through the employment agency varies with each job, it all depends on the needs of departments and employers at that point in time.

The placement year is normally left up to the student to find and therefore gives you greater autonomy to focus on a particular part of the industry you're interested in working in.

Though the University does offer support in preparing you for and helping you secure a placement and even has a dedicated placement officer.

Detail on placements can be found here - placement
Reply 25
Original post by University of Derby
Hi Everyone,

Just to let you know we will be holding a live Q&A session this Thursday (14th March), where we will be in this thread from 10am to 4pm to answer any questions you may still have about studying at the University of Derby.

Also on hand will be our student buddies who are all current undergraduate students from all stages of study and from various faculties.

So any questions feel free to drop by and ask away.

*Edit We are will also be here on Friday 15th 10am till 4pm.

Hi ,

Do you have any idea how popular the combination of Sports and exercise studies and dance and movement studies will be in September?

Thanks

Yasmin

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MissYas
Hi ,

Do you have any idea how popular the combination of Sports and exercise studies and dance and movement studies will be in September?

Thanks

Yasmin

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi Yazmin,

I would recommend that you phone our admissions team on 01332 591167. They can answer any questions about this, although do consider that numbers will change once results day occurs and clearing opens.

Another option for you would be to create a thread on our forum asking who else is thinking of studying this combination of courses and see what response you get.

I hope this is of use to you.

Stacey.
Hi Everyone,

I'm Stacey, I study BSc (Hons) Forensic Science at the University of Derby. I am currently in my 3rd year and have just applied to study for my PGCE here in September as well.

I will be here until 1pm today to answer any questions that you have about the University of Derby.

Thanks.
Todays live Q&A session is coming to a close, but I will be monitoring the forum all week and will be back for another live Q&A next week with our Student Buddies.

Any questions no matter how big or small please don't hesitate to ask.
Hi Everyone,

Just to let you know we are back in this thread this coming Friday 10am - 4pm for another Live Q&A to answer any questions you might have about studying with us :-)
We are back in!

We are here all day Until 4pm to answer all your questions, so any queries you might have then please direct them to this thread :-)
Hey =)

How long does it take to hear back from halls? Because my friend and I applied last Friday (New Students) and we haven't heard back. People I know heard back in a couple of days. Not sure whether or not we get an acknowledgement email as well.
Hey =)

How long does it take to hear back from halls? Because my friend and I applied last Friday (New Students) and we haven't heard back. People I know heard back in a couple of days. Not sure whether or not we get an acknowledgement email as well.

Hi Alex,

It's not uncommon for processes like this to take more than a week. However I would advise ringing up the student living team just to ensure your applications have been processed successfully.

Give them a ring on 01332 594111

Hope this helps
What time do the access courses start/finish and how many days per week please? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lynetteb35
What time do the access courses start/finish and how many days per week please? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi Lynette,

Do you mean start and finish in terms of time of the year or at what times of day do the lectures run from and to?
(edited 11 years ago)
Hi Lynette,

Do you mean start and finish in terms of time of the year or at what times of day do the lectures run from and to?

Sorry lol. I did mean the lectures. Do you have the same holidays as the schools?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I would also like to know about access course typical timetable. If i were exempt from doing the gcse courses, how many hours/days per week would i be attending?
Original post by Lynetteb35
Sorry lol. I did mean the lectures. Do you have the same holidays as the schools?

Posted from TSR Mobile

The time table will depend on what modules you choose to study, so it would currently be too early to predict your specific time table however it is known that no classes will start before 10am.

The classes are also designed to fit around the school holidays.

Hope this helps
The time table will depend on what modules you choose to study, so it would currently be too early to predict your specific time table however it is known that no classes will start before 10am.

The classes are also designed to fit around the school holidays.

Hope this helps

Thank you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Oldiebutgoodie
I would also like to know about access course typical timetable. If i were exempt from doing the gcse courses, how many hours/days per week would i be attending?

Hi,

Have you already received notification of being exempt from certain aspects of the course? In this instance you would need to contact the person responsible for the course to find details for your specific situation.

The contact for the Access to Higher Education Diploma is Val Blundell and she can be contact on 01332 591080

It might also be worth ringing admissions if you need to enquire about exemptions (0)1332 592012

Hope this helps
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending