The Student Room Group

Grade B in English Language/Foundation Paper

So i have been entered for the foundation tier in June. My overall controlled assessment grade is at B, and my teacher is telling me that i can still get a B overall in english if i get 70+ marks in the foundation exam. Is this true? Or is my teacher lying to me?
Original post by zeeahh
So i have been entered for the foundation tier in June. My overall controlled assessment grade is at B, and my teacher is telling me that i can still get a B overall in english if i get 70+ marks in the foundation exam. Is this true? Or is my teacher lying to me?

As far as I know, the maximum possible grade for foundation at GCSE is a C. So not, it shouldn't be possible, unless they've decided to enter you for higher (which would make sense if you got Bs in your controlled assessments).
Reply 2
Original post by Chlorophile
As far as I know, the maximum possible grade for foundation at GCSE is a C. So not, it shouldn't be possible, unless they've decided to enter you for higher (which would make sense if you got Bs in your controlled assessments).

This.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by Chlorophile

Perhaps I'm wrong, but is it not possible to get higher than a C overall if you do well in coursework?

This only seems logical, as coursework doesn't have separate Higher/Foundation tiers, only exams :dontknow:
Reply 4
Original post by zeeahh

If you've got Bs in your controlled assessment, I'd pester your English teacher to enter you for Higher. You're clearly capable of getting a B or even an A in the Higher exam.

Do a mock or two of the higher paper over the Easter and give it to your teacher to mark (granted you research exam technique for the paper(s))
Reply 5
Original post by zeeahh

It's possible if you get a high C in your exam and all your coursework are B's it will bring your overall grade up when they convert it to UMS

Posted from TSR Mobile
Are you on AQA? Because my school is and many of the students in the bottom group are entered for foundation tier and they said they can get a B in the exams despite other subjects being a C.
Similarly, I know some students are doing foundation tier for just one unit; eg the poetry or reading paper -> if it is only one unit of English you struggle in why not ask to do this?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by zeeahh

The highest you can get in a Foundation Exam is a C, but if you get Bs in the controlled assessment (which in untiered and makes up 60% of the GCSE) then it is perfectly possible to get a B overall.
Reply 8
Original post by laylarose
If you've got Bs in your controlled assessment, I'd pester your English teacher to enter you for Higher. You're clearly capable of getting a B or even an A in the Higher exam.

Do a mock or two of the higher paper over the Easter and give it to your teacher to mark (granted you research exam technique for the paper(s))

I did the foundation paper in january, and i got a D. This was due to poor revision, and yes i must admit it was my fault.
Reply 9
Original post by Shanij
Are you on AQA? Because my school is and many of the students in the bottom group are entered for foundation tier and they said they can get a B in the exams despite other subjects being a C.
Similarly, I know some students are doing foundation tier for just one unit; eg the poetry or reading paper -> if it is only one unit of English you struggle in why not ask to do this?

Posted from TSR Mobile

yes, AQA.
Reply 10
Original post by Data
The highest you can get in a Foundation Exam is a C, but if you get Bs in the controlled assessment (which in untiered and makes up 60% of the GCSE) then it is perfectly possible to get a B overall.

Hopefully i get a Grade B overall, if i'm still not doing the higher paper.
Reply 11
Original post by Shanij

Fort AQA English Language there is only one exam (ENG1H or ENG1F), and the coursework doesn't have tiers.
Original post by Data
Fort AQA English Language there is only one exam (ENG1H or ENG1F), and the coursework doesn't have tiers.

oops, I got mixed up with literature since we study that at the same time, same teacher etc

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest