The Student Room Group

Help with retrosynthesis :o

Im trying to figure out a retrosynthetic pathway to the following molecule (http://www.chemicalbook.com/ProductChemicalPropertiesCB81511066_EN.htm) but keep getting stuck :frown:
Any ideas?
My bad the picture in the link I know how to make but the molecule I actually want to make has an extra carbon in the chain so Im stuck on how to add it or whether I need a whole new synthesis:s-smilie:

For this product I started with benzene, brominated then added to ethylene oxide, then SOCl2 to get rid of the OH then added Mg and CO2 to add the ester group then added NH3 to add the amine group!
Just realised that synthesis doesnt actually work haha so confused
Reply 3
usually the best way to increase the number of carbons in the chain is to react the molecule with a cyanide ion
Original post by Acruzen
usually the best way to increase the number of carbons in the chain is to react the molecule with a cyanide ion

I think I can use the Arndt Eistert mechanism too but I cant think of how to add the bromine thats on the benzene ring? Can I just brominate twice and hope the reactants only react with one of the bromines?
Reply 5
Original post by woods.vanessa
I think I can use the Arndt Eistert mechanism too but I cant think of how to add the bromine thats on the benzene ring? Can I just brominate twice and hope the reactants only react with one of the bromines?

Why do you need to brominate twice? I'd stick bromine on at the end it would surely be strongly p-directed over ortho for steric reasons.
Original post by BJack
Why do you need to brominate twice? I'd stick bromine on at the end it would surely be strongly p-directed over ortho for steric reasons.

But the bromine is meta in relation to the group attached not para :s-smilie:
Reply 7
But the bromine is meta in relation to the group attached not para :s-smilie:

Not in the diagram you've given us. It's got a 1,4-disubstituted benzene, i.e. the Br and R-group are para to each other.
Original post by BJack
Not in the diagram you've given us. It's got a 1,4-disubstituted benzene, i.e. the Br and R-group are para to each other.

Oh right I see sorry no worries Ill ask at uni!
Thanks for the help though :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by Acruzen

If you replace 'usually' with 'one way' I would agree with you. There are many more common methods.

Im trying to figure out a retrosynthetic pathway to the following molecule (http://www.chemicalbook.com/ProductChemicalPropertiesCB81511066_EN.htm) but keep getting stuck :frown:
Any ideas?

Does the molecule you're trying to propose a synthesis of have to be the (S) stereoisomer or can it be racemic? Chiral purity makes things significantly more difficult.
(edited 11 years ago)
Also am I correct in thinking this is what you're trying to make

Quick Reply

Latest