The Student Room Group

Mass spectrometer

I have question on my revision work. Hope someone around here is able to help :smile:

Why is it a good approximation to assume that the relative mass of the G+, cations, calculated from the mass spectrometry, is the same as the relative atomic mass of Ga?

Thanks in advance!
Reply 1
Original post by melissa.darshini
I have question on my revision work. Hope someone around here is able to help :smile:

Why is it a good approximation to assume that the relative mass of the G+, cations, calculated from the mass spectrometry, is the same as the relative atomic mass of Ga?

Thanks in advance!

Assuming you mean Ga+
Because electrons have a tiny mass, even compared to protons and neutrons, around 1/1838. So the mass spec, and the Ar are very similar.
Reply 2
As above, the mass of the electron lost during the ionisation is essentially not observable to us. If you consider the fact that an electron weighs 9.11x10-31 kg then it's obviously impossible to measure this with weighing scales.
Original post by joostan
Assuming you mean Ga+
Because electrons have a tiny mass, even compared to protons and neutrons, around 1/1838. So the mass spec, and the Ar are very similar.

Oops! yes, assuming it's Ga+ :colondollar:
Reply 4
Original post by melissa.darshini
Oops! yes, assuming it's Ga+ :colondollar:

lol - no biggie.
:tsr:
welcome to TSR btw

Quick Reply

Latest