The Student Room Group

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II

Scroll to see replies

Reply 8560

A fellow Workaholics fan :cheers: I thought I was the only person in the country who'd even heard of it! Such a good show.
Reply 8562
Anyone else think the Elysium trailer wasn't that great? I've also realised that I haven't seen Matt Damon in a film in ages. There are also loads of big sci-fi films coming out this year.

[video="youtube;oIBtePb-dGY"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIBtePb-dGY[/video]

Now You See Me looks interesting though.

(hmm tried to add the trailer but apparently I'm only allowed one video per post, when did that happen!?)

The first Hunger Games: Catching Fire trailer comes out this Sunday. The new Hangover film don't look that great. The Mortal Instrument series just reminds me of Twilight too much that I can't take it seriously. Buzzing for the new Star Trek film. Denzel is like my favourite actor so I'm a bit disappointed about his new film, looks like an action/comedy with Mark Wahlberg, whyyyyyy.

World War Z looks interesting. The trailer for the new Riddick film didn't give too much away but I'm looking forward to it nonetheless. This is the End looks funny as well.
It's weird how many end of the world/post-apocalyptic films are coming out this year (The World's End, This Is The End, After Earth, Oblivion). You would have thought that Hollywood would have had the foresight to release them last year.

The whole "Two separated worlds brought together by (a) rebel(s)" storyline is everywhere too (Oblivion, Elysium, Upside Down).

Hollywood needs some fresh ideas...
I can't remember a real good thriller as gripping as Se7en in ages. Hope this year has a lot more thriller/crime movies and not the post apocalyptic theme which Hollywood is following just now
I think I'm the only one to really dislike Zodiac. Since the case was never closed, the film doesn't have all that much to go. Past the first few letters the narrative loses it's way and decides to focus on fictional characters that have little relevance to pad it out. End result is a film that hasn't got enough to pad it out to even 100mins, yet it drags its dehydrated corpse over the 150mins threshold!!! For a film to justify being that long it needs to be EPIC (Godfather, Lord of the Rings, Magnolia), but this unfortunately isn't.

Read the wikipedia page on the Zodiac Killer, it's far more interesting and will save you plenty of time.
Original post by Svenjamin
I think I'm the only one to really dislike Zodiac. Since the case was never closed, the film doesn't have all that much to go. Past the first few letters the narrative loses it's way and decides to focus on fictional characters that have little relevance to pad it out. End result is a film that hasn't got enough to pad it out to even 100mins, yet it drags its dehydrated corpse over the 150mins threshold!!! For a film to justify being that long it needs to be EPIC (Godfather, Lord of the Rings, Magnolia), but this unfortunately isn't.

Read the wikipedia page on the Zodiac Killer, it's far more interesting and will save you plenty of time.

I don't feel the Zodiac killer and solving the mystery was the central focus of the film. Otherwise, it would have felt more like Se7en. It seemed to be more a biography/character study of how the mystery of the Zodiac changed the central characters' lives (the detective, the journalist and the artist) and how obsessive and paranoid they became over clues and suspects, which ultimately had a detrimental effect on their lives and relationships.
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
I don't feel the Zodiac killer and solving the mystery was the central focus of the film. Otherwise, it would have felt more like Se7en. It seemed to be more a biography/character study of how the mystery of the Zodiac changed the central characters' lives (the detective, the journalist and the artist) and how obsessive and paranoid they became over clues and suspects, which ultimately had a detrimental effect on their lives and relationships.

Zodiac is a far better film than Se7en. The latter has a totally ridiculous plot with a completely contrived, made-for-tv serial killer acting out a sequence of themed killings... puh-lease!
Original post by Plato's Trousers
Zodiac is a far better film than Se7en. The latter has a totally ridiculous plot with a completely contrived, made-for-tv serial killer acting out a sequence of themed killings... puh-lease!

99% of film plots are contrived and unrealistic, that's what suspension of disbelief is for. It's no reason to dislike a film.
Reply 8569
Has anyone here watched Say Anything... and if you have what did you think off it?

It was good but I didn't really see/understand why it gets so much critical acclaim? (98% on Rotten Tomatoes, 86/100 metascore and Ebert also loved it). Maybe you had to watch it around the time it came out.
Reply 8570
Original post by Svenjamin
99% of film plots are contrived and unrealistic, that's what suspension of disbelief is for. It's no reason to dislike a film.

That would depend on what sort of films you like/what you look for in a film. You could also argue that it's up to the film/film-maker to arouse a plausible suspension of disbelief in an audience, and that a certain film doesn't do that.
Reply 8571
Original post by Deshi
Has anyone here watched Say Anything... and if you have what did you think off it?

It was good but I didn't really see/understand why it gets so much critical acclaim? (98% on Rotten Tomatoes, 86/100 metascore and Ebert also loved it). Maybe you had to watch it around the time it came out.

I love that film. :colondollar:

"YOU MUST CHILL!" :awesome:
Original post by Abiraleft
That would depend on what sort of films you like/what you look for in a film. You could also argue that it's up to the film/film-maker to arouse a plausible suspension of disbelief in an audience, and that a certain film doesn't do that.

Quite so. It also depends on the type of film. In the case of a police procedural like Se7en it's not unreasonable to expect a plausible crime.
Reply 8573
Original post by aja89
I love that film. :colondollar:

"YOU MUST CHILL!" :awesome:

It was definitely a good film and I enjoyed it, I just didn't see what took it to the next level really.

[video="youtube;jyPnQw_Lqds"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=jyPnQw_Lqds[/video]

It pretty much only shows events from the first third of the book I think.
Reply 8574
Watched Smashed today, it was pretty good. :yep: I liked it more than Flight (both being centred around alcoholism) tbh. Really good performance by Mary Elizabeth Winstead, and some nifty directing.
What did ppl think of The Master?

I watched it the other night. Two superb central performances (especially from Joaquin Phoenix), but somehow it was less than the sum of its parts. Also, quite baggy. Could have done with an edit. Good, certainly, but not amazing IMHO
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8576
I watched Contact for the first time the other day, anyone else seen it?

Spoiler

Compliance 6/10

can't believe its a true story, jesus christ people are so stupid.
Original post by Thugnificent.
Compliance 6/10

can't believe its a true story, jesus christ people are so stupid.

Agree! Astonishing!

Original post by aja89
I watched Contact for the first time the other day, anyone else seen it?

Yes. I really love it. It's cheesy in parts, I know. But I am a huge Jodie fan and as a science geek I just love the notion of detecting an alien intelligence.

In fact, I may have to watch it tonight, now you've reminded me :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8579
Original post by Plato's Trousers
Yes. I really love it. It's cheesy in parts, I know. But I am a huge Jodie fan and as a science geek I just love the notion of detecting an alien intelligence.

In fact, I may have to watch it tonight, now you've reminded me :smile:

Jodie was the main reason I watched, I love her. :h:

Quick Reply

Latest