The Student Room Group

Why do People Have a Problem with Gay People?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MittenRef
Title says it all. I simply do not understand the reasoning behind the pure hatred that some people have for the LGBT community. The only bit I understand is that they think that the physical act of having sex with someone of the same sex is a bit ... disturbing? I can sort of get how off-putting that is for someone who is straight.

But, they don't have to engage in that activity, watch it, or talk about it - so then again... Why should they bother? Why do some people completely reject same sex relationships?

I am gay, so maybe I'm being a little biased. But I have the right morals when it comes to equality, across the spectrum, and I don't understand why people feel the need to concern themselves with fuelling hatred. Surely these people know the world would be a better place if everyone was accepting?

Why damage that? What do people think? Why do people think like this? Thanks.

Don't assume everyone is hating on you.

People usually have a problem with gayness, not gay people, but anyone who hates a person based solely on their gender/race/orientation etc is scum.

Don't act like you are unaware of longstanding conventions in society and people's religious beliefs etc

Everyone can't be cool with everything. Then we'd had an even more unbalanced world, oddly enough.

I'm part of the LGBT community too. Just get on with it and live your life.
Original post by yarshad
I think that saying 'Islam is nonsense' is slightly offensive :/ don't you think?

I merely speak the truth. All religion is nonsense, but Islam is particularly dangerous.

I stand with the oppressed brothers and sisters in the Mid East; gay, feminist, alternative, who are regularly killed, bashed and imprisoned by Islamic regimes.

I'm not going to hold back on what's the truth simply to save the feelings of a few in-denial Western Muslims.
Original post by shadowdweller
This seems a little over the top. Just because you disagree doesn't mean you have to be insulting

Religion has been mollycoddled and insulated for long enough. It's not an insult to speak the truth.
Original post by AlexandrTheGreat
I merely speak the truth. All religion is nonsense, but Islam is particularly dangerous.

I stand with the oppressed brothers and sisters in the Mid East; gay, feminist, alternative, who are regularly killed, bashed and imprisoned by Islamic regimes.

I'm not going to hold back on what's the truth simply to save the feelings of a few in-denial Western Muslims.

Why are you twisting it about the crisis in the Middle East, Of course I hate everything that's happening there. It's horrible what they do to people there.

My question was why do you say Islam is nonsense specifically?
Reply 424
eww two men buming each other..
Reply 425
Original post by AlexandrTheGreat

I can't help but think that your comment is a little hypocritical of the view you hold. Im assuming your completely in favour of gay and straight people having equal rights - as am I. However, I do feel that as this entire conversation is about acceptance, you've basically just shown just as much discrimination against Muslims as the people you're having a go at for not agreeing with homosexuality.

Admittedly, I don't agree with a lot of Islamic law and there are a small number of individuals who give them a bad name, but if your going to argue with people about them not liking gays, it does seem a little out of line to tell them they're wrong because they're Islamic.

You've just done exactly the same thing and discriminated against a group in society. Seems fairly hypocritical...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mabz123

I can never tell if comments like this are trolls

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mabz123

I find it hard to imagine both performing anal sex at the same time. :confused:
I can however picture one giving and one receiving...
Original post by KC003
I can't help but think that your comment is a little hypocritical of the view you hold. Im assuming your completely in favour of gay and straight people having equal rights - as am I. However, I do feel that as this entire conversation is about acceptance, you've basically just shown just as much discrimination against Muslims as the people you're having a go at for not agreeing with homosexuality.

Admittedly, I don't agree with a lot of Islamic law and there are a small number of individuals who give them a bad name, but if your going to argue with people about them not liking gays, it does seem a little out of line to tell them they're wrong because they're Islamic.

You've just done exactly the same thing and discriminated against a group in society. Seems fairly hypocritical...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sexuality =/= (religious) ideology.
Reply 429
Original post by Scienceisgood
I find it hard to imagine both performing anal sex at the same time. :confused:
I can however picture one giving and one receiving...

still pretty eww
Reply 430
Original post by Pinkhead
Sexuality =/= (religious) ideology.

You say that, but I'm Christian and have nothing against homosexuality whatsoever.
The problem with religion is that it hasn't changed since somewhere around the stone ages. Everything else on the planet has to change all the time to accommodate modern society. I've never understood why religion seems to be exempt from that. Again, it's just a few people within religions that make it clash with homosexuality. Unfortunately, those few people are the ones at the top of the food chain.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 432

GOD, created us in pairs, male and female. Thats why.

being gay is not natural. Turn the clock back a few years, it was classed as a mental disorder, and people who were gay were treated, but now, if you got something against people being gay, your the one who needs to be treated. Goes to show what lobbying can do dont it.
Original post by KC003
You say that, but I'm Christian and have nothing against homosexuality whatsoever.
The problem with religion is that it hasn't changed since somewhere around the stone ages. Everything else on the planet has to change all the time to accommodate modern society. I've never understood why religion seems to be exempt from that. Again, it's just a few people within religions that make it clash with homosexuality. Unfortunately, those few people are the ones at the top of the food chain.

Posted from TSR Mobile

There's your answer. With even the followers of religion noticing the flaws, it's not hard for the rest of us to do the same. I don't understand your issue with AlexandrTheGreat's post if you acknowledge that his points are valid :confused:.

And sadly it's not just the religious followers that are the problem. The core doctrines behind many monotheistic religions look down upon homosexuality in one way or another - Islam thinks it's OK to be attracted to the same sex as long as you don't have sexual intercourse and I assume the same applies to Christianity.
Original post by mabz123

being gay is not natural. Turn the clock back a few years, it was classed as a mental disorder, and people who were gay were treated, but now, if you got something against people being gay, your the one who needs to be treated. Goes to show what lobbying can do dont it.

Its called evolution just as humans evolve physically, we evolve mentally as well...
Why did God create the ability for Men to love each other (or women thereby)?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by mabz123

Whether not it's natural is a different argument, and one that I'm not going to start. However just because something's not natural, doesn't mean it's wrong.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 436
Original post by shadowdweller
Whether not it's natural is a different argument, and one that I'm not going to start. However just because something's not natural, doesn't mean it's wrong.

Posted from TSR Mobile

why is it not wrong
Original post by mabz123

You're not being asked to do it, or even watch, so why do you care?
Original post by mabz123

Being gay is natural, it's been observed in many other species. Also, even if it was unnatural that's no reason to consider it wrong.

Just because something was at one point classed as a mental illness doesn't mean it really is. For example nobody would argue that Drapetomania is really an illness.
Reply 438
Original post by Scienceisgood
Its called evolution just as humans evolve physically, we evolve mentally as well...
Why did God create the ability for Men to love each other (or women thereby)?

evolution, bro, seriously, its lobbying.. im sure bestatilty would soon be legalized in the uk, we just need a few people who have an urge to do with it a horse, and then after a few years of lobbing of how its our freedom to love whom wwe want to, and have sex with what and whom we want to, were gonna have the same arguments that we are having to defend it the "ok" of bein gay.
Reply 439
Original post by mabz123

If you're still going to go along the religion lines, God created the first 2 beings - 1 male, 1 female, because otherwise procreating and increasing the population would have been a little difficult. After that, we're most definitely not created in pairs.

How far back are you turning the damn clocks?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending