The Student Room Group

Can This symbol be used like this?

13x3x\int\limits_1^3 x^3\, \mathrm\bigtriangleup x
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Dopey'

I think I can truthfully say that I have never in my life seen it used like that. Why?
Reply 2
Original post by Smaug123
I think I can truthfully say that I have never in my life seen it used like that. Why?

haha just curious as ive seen it as xy \dfrac {\bigtriangleup x}{\bigtriangleup y}
Reply 3
Personally I don't see much wrong with it, although I've never seen it been used like that before.

ΔyΔx=δyδx=dydx\dfrac{\Delta y}{\Delta x} = \dfrac{\delta y}{\delta x} = \dfrac{dy}{dx}

They're all the same thing.
Reply 4
Original post by Dopey'
haha just curious as ive seen it as xy \dfrac {\bigtriangleup x}{\bigtriangleup y}

It's usually:
ΔyΔx\dfrac{\Delta y}{\Delta x}
Reply 5
Original post by joostan
It's usually:
ΔyΔx\dfrac{\Delta y}{\Delta x}

Can I use as I have above? on first post :/
Reply 6
Original post by Dopey'

Why would you want to, it takes more time to draw a triangle than to write a d? You'd just be wasting time in exams etc.
Reply 7
Original post by hoodboilu4
Personally I don't see much wrong with it, although I've never seen it been used like that before.

ΔyΔx=δyδx=dydx\dfrac{\Delta y}{\Delta x} = \dfrac{\delta y}{\delta x} = \dfrac{dy}{dx}

I know but it looks better lol
Reply 8
Original post by Dopey'

Well I see the symbol Δx\Delta x as a big-ish change
δx\delta x as a smaller change.
and dxdx when the change is infinitesimally small, but it may well be the case you can interchange them.
Reply 9
Original post by joostan
Well I see the symbol Δx\Delta x as a big-ish change
δx\delta x as a smaller change.
and dxdx when the change is infinitesimally small, but it may well be the case you can interchange them.

Ok, well ill think ill just stick to standard dx
Reply 10
Original post by Dopey'

Isaac Newton here. I did not invent calculus to see this ****. Integration is taking the sum of infinitely small changes. delta x is not an infinitely small change so you can't integrate that.
Reply 11
Original post by hoodboilu4

No they're not!

the first two represent the ratio of small changes in y to small changes in x.

The final expression is the limit of those ratios as δx0\delta x \to 0

Quick Reply

Latest