The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Depends also how good Canelo can get his conditioning. I think he maybe struggles slightly in this dept. compared to Floyd, but who knows, he may just be very very patient ( for half of every round :tongue:).
Floyd's probably smart to take this fight now rather than in two years time (still has four fights left on his contract), when Alvarez will be more experience while Floyd will probably be slower. I reckon Canelo is the biggest threat to Floyd's undefeated streak, except for potentially Broner. But Floyd-Broner will never happen, because Broner is on his dick.
Original post by Kenan and Kel
But Floyd-Broner will never happen, because Broner is on his dick.

LOL. I wondered about this as I knew Broner was on GB but is their relationship pretty tight? Broner wouldn't have been in contention for Floyd as he might have just missed the boat to fight him. He'd have to get some pretty big wins to get himself up there.
Original post by Aky786UK
LOL. I wondered about this as I knew Broner was on GB but is their relationship pretty tight? Broner wouldn't have been in contention for Floyd as he might have just missed the boat to fight him. He'd have to get some pretty big wins to get himself up there.

I don't know if they're tight, but from what I remember, Broner follows two people on Twitter; his dog, and Floyd.

Broner is likely to win a world title at 147 this month against Malignaggi, the guy who also accused Broner of trying to be too like Floyd, and advising him to have his own style. If Broner can defeat Malignaggi, and get a couple more top names on his CV such as Marquez, Alvarado, Rios, Bradley etc, then he'll be right in the mix. I think Broner said that Marquez is someone he'd like to say, pretty sure he said this before his fight with Malignaggi was made. His record should be good enough by the time Floyd's last contracted fight is upon us. Still doubt the fight will happen. Broner will be GB's cash-cow and a loss against Floyd could diminish that. Having said that, they're taking the risk with Canelo.
(edited 10 years ago)
Its extremely unlikely floyd vs broner will happen. Apparently they're "bros for life" or some bs like that. Even if broner managed to be top contender in the 147lb divison it still wouldn't happen lol.

Anyway, whats everyones thoughts or predictions for this weekends fights? i'm most looking forward to maidana vs lopez! its gonna be one to watch definitely. Marco huck vs afolabi should be great too. Theres also chad dawson vs adonis stevenson should also be exciting! i'll post my predictions tomorrow hopefully
Original post by oh-my-diddy
Its extremely unlikely floyd vs broner will happen. Apparently they're "bros for life" or some bs like that. Even if broner managed to be top contender in the 147lb divison it still wouldn't happen lol.

Anyway, whats everyones thoughts or predictions for this weekends fights? i'm most looking forward to maidana vs lopez! its gonna be one to watch definitely. Marco huck vs afolabi should be great too. Theres also chad dawson vs adonis stevenson should also be exciting! i'll post my predictions tomorrow hopefully

Going for a Maidana win by KO in the 9th. Should be an exciting fight.
Tonights predictions:

Dawson by UD
Maidana by 10th round KO (I say it will be a tough fight for maidana, alot of people disagree)
Huck by UD
Lara by UD
Disappointed in afolabi's performance. Wasn't as good as his performance in his 2nd fight vs huck. I don't rate huck much but i thought he took it. Personally i say Guilermo jones beats everyone in the division
Reply 4828
Here is a question to get some debate going, I know Ward could potentially go on to piss on everyone but who do you think currently out of Ward and Calzaghe has the best resume?

Initially I went for Ward but after having a think he beat a Kessler that Calzaghe and Froch had beat, Abraham, Dawson and Froch (Clearly his best win?)

Calzaghe beat Eubank and then the division went very quiet/people avoiding him/he wasn't a big crowd puller. He dismantled Lacy who never looked the same again and gave Bika either his 1st or 2nd loss (can't remember.) Then there was Hopkins who went on to beat Pavlik and Pacal after losing to Joe and RJJ which was a bit of a joke fight.

Currently i'd probably put them equal although obviously if Ward carries on racking up wins he will clearly overtake in 2-3 top level fights.
Ward. JC's only 2 credible wins are Kessler and Lacey, the rest were either ancient or chumps.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Broner beats Malignaggi in a split decision. Good showing from Paulie. Want to see Broner fight Garcia or Mattyhsse next.
What was the fight like? Malignaggi was in his home scene and lost on a split decision so suggests he did OK but just a class short than an improving Broner. When I read of the split decision, I thought maybe a rematch? But Broner will be moved on to bigger things I'm guessing. Garcia/Matthyse are still at light welterweight although will move up a weight sooner rather than later and with Khan there aswell, could become a real hot division.
Original post by Aky786UK
What was the fight like? Malignaggi was in his home scene and lost on a split decision so suggests he did OK but just a class short than an improving Broner. When I read of the split decision, I thought maybe a rematch? But Broner will be moved on to bigger things I'm guessing. Garcia/Matthyse are still at light welterweight although will move up a weight sooner rather than later and with Khan there aswell, could become a real hot division.

Paulie used the jab well and threw more punches; a large percentage of which were unsuccessful, while Broner hanged back and connected with more power punches. As expected really.

Broner is apparently still open to fights at 135, 140 and 147. As long as Mattysse fights Garcia or Broner next, I'll be happy. I reckon Broner will fight Zudah next.
--
(edited 8 years ago)
i'll be watching. I got GGG by 6th round KO
GGG looks like the real deal. Incredible power and sharpness for a middleweight. He will cream Martinez.
--
(edited 8 years ago)
impressive performance from GGG. macklin aint no bum imo, golovkin is just a beast. I say he takes Martinez especially after his dire performance against murray last time out
Reply 4838
I think anyone in the division would have a hard time with GGG's power.
--
(edited 8 years ago)

Latest