The Student Room Group

AQA AS Environmental Studies Unit 1: Jan 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by behindblueglass
Don't take these answers as stock, I may have ****ed up too :L

What did u put for the disadvantages of open cast mining?
Original post by EmilyStrange13
Yep, at least that paper was nice though come to think of it there were a few questions in that exam that I think I got wrong. :frown:

I think both of these papers were quite different from previous years ones since these papers had less stuff that you could have potentially learned
Original post by vamos talal
what did u all put for the disadvantages of open cast mining in contrast with deep hole mining?

I put the fact that wildlife habitats will be destroyed and that the aesthetic appeal of the landscape is ruined. How about you?
I think both of these papers were quite different from previous years ones since these papers had less stuff that you could have potentially learned

I've been thinking that too and also told my teacher that there was less on the subject content itself.
I've been thinking that too and also told my teacher that there was less on the subject content itself.

I wrote exactly something along those lines too! I said open cast mining spans over a larger area therefore destroying more habitats..Are u on fb?
I wrote exactly something along those lines too! I said open cast mining spans over a larger area therefore destroying more habitats..Are u on fb?

Oh okay.. I think I might have given that as an explanation, the land use requirement needed is larger. Yeah, how about you?
Yes inbox me ure profile link, it's much easier to discuss/ write there please
Yes inbox me ure profile link, it's much easier to discuss/ write there please

Done. Yep, I agree.
Reply 68
I don't think you will be seeing me on this thread in september or pre-september as I messed up quite badly yesterday. There's no way I could get enough UMS for a D to go on to the second year =( I worked quite hard for unit 2 aswell, especially for the el nino and la nina ocean current stuff.

Awhh, I'm sure you've done better than what you expected! I hope we all get onto A2 :smile: I know I've failed but I hope my unit 1 bring it up :/
Reply 69

I found it quite a bit harder than past questions :/
Original post by Wizkidani
Awhh, I'm sure you've done better than what you expected! I hope we all get onto A2 :smile: I know I've failed but I hope my unit 1 bring it up :/

I hope so but I didn't understand any of the calculation questions and guessed on most of them. ''/ Me too, I really enjoy environmental studies. I'm hoping for that too. If I can get a high C in unit 1 then I may well be able to get a good grade overall
What did everyone get? I'm really disappointed as I got a D and the fact that I could have gotten a C overall as I was 3 marks off a C in ENVS1 and 4 marks off a C in ENVS2 has really got to me. I worked so hard, I just dont understand why I'm underachieving in this subject. >.> I kinda knew I would have gotten a D for ENVS2 but I was pretty confident about getting a C in ENVS1... I feel like wanting to get a remark but I'm worried that I could go down a grade and that will mean that I wont be able to carry on with Environmental Studies which I really enjoy.
Reply 72
I got a B which i'm happy with! Sorry about that:/ Are you going to resit or try boost it up next year? I guess cos one guy does it all you never know how its going to be worded or anything, and since you were so close to a C maybe you can bump it up next year?:smile:
I got an A which I'm shell shocked by, because I didn't think the exam went that well. I got 103/120 I reckon it was the soil stuff that tripped me up a little or the calculation questions. Anyway Got and A overall for Environmental studies so I'm happy :L
Congrats to everyone that took the exam no matter what grade you got, you all put in tonnes off effort :smile:
Original post by Abbey1995
I got a B which i'm happy with! Sorry about that:/ Are you going to resit or try boost it up next year? I guess cos one guy does it all you never know how its going to be worded or anything, and since you were so close to a C maybe you can bump it up next year?:smile:

That's great, well done! I might try to just boost it up next year as the next two units carry more marks and the individual questions also carry more marks... I think I tend to lose marks on 2/3 mark questions. Yep, that is why I'm not really considering resitting. I really do hope I can.
I got an A which I'm shell shocked by, because I didn't think the exam went that well. I got 103/120 I reckon it was the soil stuff that tripped me up a little or the calculation questions. Anyway Got and A overall for Environmental studies so I'm happy :L
Congrats to everyone that took the exam no matter what grade you got, you all put in tonnes off effort :smile:

Well done, that's great!
Reply 76
What did everyone get? I'm really disappointed as I got a D and the fact that I could have gotten a C overall as I was 3 marks off a C in ENVS1 and 4 marks off a C in ENVS2 has really got to me. I worked so hard, I just dont understand why I'm underachieving in this subject. >.> I kinda knew I would have gotten a D for ENVS2 but I was pretty confident about getting a C in ENVS1... I feel like wanting to get a remark but I'm worried that I could go down a grade and that will mean that I wont be able to carry on with Environmental Studies which I really enjoy.

I got a D as well in ENVS2 :frown:( But I got a C overall :}
I think with Environmental studies it's really about exam technique :/ We have to write how examiners want us to write. I'm going to resit unit 2 so if you're going to resit it we can help each other out :3 I think it would help if we start doing some stuff early too :smile: You're really close to a C so don't give up!! It's possible for someone with a D to even get an A :3 If you think you did better in the exam go for a remark :smile:
I heard A2 is really hard so I'm really scared!! I hope I have TSR helping me :3
Reply 77
Original post by Abbey1995

Well doneee!! :smile:

Well done! Have any tips on how I can revise for my resit? :}
Original post by Wizkidani
Well doneee!! :smile:

Well done! Have any tips on how I can revise for my resit? :}

Hey I go overboard revising, and this may not work for you but anyway:

Take 2 a3 sheets of paper tape them together to make a2, and put in the middle, atmosphere. Then have arrows coming out for all the key points one big mind map. Do this for atmosphere, hydrosphere and lithosphere.

Also on an a4 sheet draw the carbon cycle, nitrogen cycle, phosphorous cycle. Then on three more a4 sheets do human effects on the carbon cycle, nitrogen cycle and phosphorous cycle.

On another a3 sheet write out different soil testing methods

Stick all these up on a wall (preferably the same wall so you can see it all together.) Make sure you use lots and lots of colour and diagrams to stimulate the brain and I would stick them up at least a few months before the exam.
******************************************************************************************************
Do every single past paper available at least 2 times. Any questions you get wrong put as a priority and look them up in the book. Get someone else to mark your papers.

Copy notes out in class on paper, put notes and handouts into polly pockets then put them into a lever arch folder. Have a divider for each section in the folder so you can flick through the notes easier.

Take a small notebook (a5) and copy the notes out into the notebook. Keep a contents page so you can flick to specific sections.

I resat my whole first year after getting EEU the first year. This year I got AAC. You don't have to do all of this, it takes it to the extreme but I am not a naturally good learner I am dyslexic and also have a condition call Meares Irlens syndrome. So for me to achieve good grades it takes ALOT of effort. But if I can go from EEU to AAC in a year anyone can. Good luck I wish you the best also if you get stuck on anything just ask and Ill explain as best I can. :smile:
Reply 79
Hey I go overboard revising, and this may not work for you but anyway:

Take 2 a3 sheets of paper tape them together to make a2, and put in the middle, atmosphere. Then have arrows coming out for all the key points one big mind map. Do this for atmosphere, hydrosphere and lithosphere.

Also on an a4 sheet draw the carbon cycle, nitrogen cycle, phosphorous cycle. Then on three more a4 sheets do human effects on the carbon cycle, nitrogen cycle and phosphorous cycle.

On another a3 sheet write out different soil testing methods

Stick all these up on a wall (preferably the same wall so you can see it all together.) Make sure you use lots and lots of colour and diagrams to stimulate the brain and I would stick them up at least a few months before the exam.
******************************************************************************************************
Do every single past paper available at least 2 times. Any questions you get wrong put as a priority and look them up in the book. Get someone else to mark your papers.

Copy notes out in class on paper, put notes and handouts into polly pockets then put them into a lever arch folder. Have a divider for each section in the folder so you can flick through the notes easier.

Take a small notebook (a5) and copy the notes out into the notebook. Keep a contents page so you can flick to specific sections.

I resat my whole first year after getting EEU the first year. This year I got AAC. You don't have to do all of this, it takes it to the extreme but I am not a naturally good learner I am dyslexic and also have a condition call Meares Irlens syndrome. So for me to achieve good grades it takes ALOT of effort. But if I can go from EEU to AAC in a year anyone can. Good luck I wish you the best also if you get stuck on anything just ask and Ill explain as best I can. :smile:

Hello!
Thank you so much! I'll try to do them :3 I really want a B :frown:
Your idea's sounds really good ^.^
Oh my gosh! Well done! It's amazing how you've improved so much even with your condition! I find it hard concentrating so I'm a slow learner xD I hope if I work hard this year I can get my B :/
Thank you so much!!
By the way are you going to do A2 in September? :3 We can all help each other :biggrin: I think by talking to people on TSR it really helps me to improve :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending