The Student Room Group

How I get an A in A-Level Business Studies

Use your extract!!! The way to get an A is to use your extract and remember the knowledge, i.e., definitions, formulas, etc. I've known people who focus on techniques more than knowledge and still got an A. For me, I practice writing chain of analysis, E.g., Decrease in interest rate -> lower cost of borrowing -> investment in production (new machine/new staff) -> Increase production capacity -> Increase economies of scale -> reduced average cost -> lower price -> undercut competitors -> higher market share. It needs to be bam bam bam. No time-wasting waffle. For evaluation, start with 'However, the effect may be limited/ depends on...' and then talk about consumer confidence, PED, competitors, etc.

Second, bring at least 5 different color highlighters. Read the questions first and highlight the keywords, then move on to the extracts to highlight points for your application and analysis marks. I hope all of you have time to finish the papers. However, even if you don't, and you got the techniques right, you will still get a decent mark.

Lastly, think of any present business news that could have 2 to 3 extracts talked about it. Write down any knowledge that you think is associated with it and practice chain of analysis using it.

Good luck on your exams.
Original post by CCY0527
Use your extract!!! The way to get an A is to use your extract and remember the knowledge, i.e., definitions, formulas, etc. I've known people who focus on techniques more than knowledge and still got an A. For me, I practice writing chain of analysis, E.g., Decrease in interest rate -> lower cost of borrowing -> investment in production (new machine/new staff) -> Increase production capacity -> Increase economies of scale -> reduced average cost -> lower price -> undercut competitors -> higher market share. It needs to be bam bam bam. No time-wasting waffle. For evaluation, start with 'However, the effect may be limited/ depends on...' and then talk about consumer confidence, PED, competitors, etc.

Second, bring at least 5 different color highlighters. Read the questions first and highlight the keywords, then move on to the extracts to highlight points for your application and analysis marks. I hope all of you have time to finish the papers. However, even if you don't, and you got the techniques right, you will still get a decent mark.

Lastly, think of any present business news that could have 2 to 3 extracts talked about it. Write down any knowledge that you think is associated with it and practice chain of analysis using it.

Good luck on your exams.
Thank you so much for this!! how would you structure a 10 marker question?
Original post by CCY0527
Good luck on your exams.
Thank you, what exam board do you do?
Do you have any tips on how to read the extracts more efficiently or how just how to be more time efficient in the exam. I’m currently yr 13 and to this day I’m still yet to finish a business mock paper in time, it just seems impossible.
(edited 08:07)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending