The Student Room Group
Main Concourse, Brunel University
Brunel University London
Uxbridge
Visit website

Do you think its worth moving out to live on campus at Brunel University?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by parentlurker
living on campus makes it easier to make friends and I'd say it was worth doing in the first year for that reason alone. Later on you might find it better to commute/sleep on a friends floor for a night or two.

Haha, yeah I guess I could do that for 2nd yr.
I have made up my mind on living on campus, hopefully I don't regret it!
Main Concourse, Brunel University
Brunel University London
Uxbridge
Visit website
Original post by deryaya
Thanks for the info, yeah I guess I understand what you mean about the arts courses having less contact hours. I've heard most uni's are similar, as you have said.

Yepp, I've decided to move to campus and live there, kinda getting nervous already, as I just agreed to the room I was given (/tenancy agreement) D:

good choice, im sure you wont be disapointed.
Reply 22
2 hour commute is going to be a huge drag on your day, I'd definitely move out if I were you
Reply 23
Original post by Jack93o
2 hour commute is going to be a huge drag on your day, I'd definitely move out if I were you

Yeh, the same thing that was on my mind tbh. Yup, gonna be moving out, so its all cool :biggrin:
Reply 24
Original post by Bubble_10
Interesting.. But there are a few tube lines in south London.. Brixton (Victoria line) elephant and castle
(bakerloo line) :smile:
Posted from TSR Mobile

Victoria line is pretty new (1968) they probably developed the required tunneling techniques by then. Unfortunately the second issue of competition from BR southern region remained so that's why they never built more in the area in the 60s. Elephant and Castle isn't very far south.
Reply 25
Original post by deryaya
Ahhh, really.. Have you decided yet? Remember to decide before the deadline of your accommodation offer!

Looks like I'll be commuting! Well I'm used to it since I travelled 90+ mins to college for 2 years.

I've also booked my driving test and if I pass driving to uni will be an option :smile: it would also give me more experience as a driver.

I'll be seeing you in September then!
Reply 26
Original post by Say_NiZam
Looks like I'll be commuting! Well I'm used to it since I travelled 90+ mins to college for 2 years.

I've also booked my driving test and if I pass driving to uni will be an option :smile: it would also give me more experience as a driver.

I'll be seeing you in September then!

Aw really, well I guess everyones different to long journeys. My max journey to college was 40 mins, so I dunno how I am with long journeys tbh.

Goodluck to you for your driving test! Was supposed to actually get lessons this year, but that plan totally failed. D;

Haha, yup I guess so. Which course are you going to be studying?
Reply 27
Original post by deryaya
Aw really, well I guess everyones different to long journeys. My max journey to college was 40 mins, so I dunno how I am with long journeys tbh.

Goodluck to you for your driving test! Was supposed to actually get lessons this year, but that plan totally failed. D;

Haha, yup I guess so. Which course are you going to be studying?

Lools i'm fine with long journeys as long as I'm listening to music otherwise I would die of boredom!

And thanks! I've taken like 25 lessons so I'm feeling confident! Have you taken your theory test yet?

I was torn between psychology and law but eventually chose the latter as I wanted to do something different
Reply 28
Lools i'm fine with long journeys as long as I'm listening to music otherwise I would die of boredom!

And thanks! I've taken like 25 lessons so I'm feeling confident! Have you taken your theory test yet?

I was torn between psychology and law but eventually chose the latter as I wanted to do something different

Haha, now imagine leaving your ipod (/whatever you listen to your music on) at home, and going through that journey? *killerrrr*

Nooo, i'm such a noob at all these things, but its kinda coz i'm not into driving a car, was planning on taking the motorbike CBT soon though, much easier than driving a car/all the tests you go through with them! but obviously cars are better. haha.

Ahhh I see, law seems pretty hard in my opinion, but I know a few people that's gonna be doing that in uni ;D and it's pretty competitive, so lets see how it goes :smile:
Reply 29
Original post by deryaya
Haha, now imagine leaving your ipod (/whatever you listen to your music on) at home, and going through that journey? *killerrrr*

Nooo, i'm such a noob at all these things, but its kinda coz i'm not into driving a car, was planning on taking the motorbike CBT soon though, much easier than driving a car/all the tests you go through with them! but obviously cars are better. haha.

Ahhh I see, law seems pretty hard in my opinion, but I know a few people that's gonna be doing that in uni ;D and it's pretty competitive, so lets see how it goes :smile:

That would be a nightmare lol but I hardly forget things (got a bit of OCD from my mum)

Ohhh if I were you I would get both since your interested in biking :wink:

Yes I realised it's competitive as it was difficult to find a uni that required less than ABB to get in! (Unless you wanna go to a total **** one). Brunel is AAB and I got ACC but I still got accepted :smile:
Original post by deryaya
Oh sorry, you already said you had just finished your first year, and I just asked what year haha, my bad. What course did you study?

Btw, I don't know much about the library at Brunel, does it get packed easily?

lol dw :smile:, I study maths, the library computers always seem to be full so you have to get in there early but there are i think about 4 floors and as you ascend it gets quieter (noise wise) .
Original post by peter12345
Victoria line is pretty new (1968) they probably developed the required tunneling techniques by then. Unfortunately the second issue of competition from BR southern region remained so that's why they never built more in the area in the 60s. Elephant and Castle isn't very far south.

Ah awesome! How do you know this? Its really interesting, I had no idea actually as to why there were hardly any haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 32
I live in east London and I moved out to live on campus at Brunel.

Campus life is brilliant and you get so much more out of uni from living there!
I've had to travel to Brunel from home in the past for stuff at 9am and it was horrific, I wouldn't recommend it.
Reply 33
Original post by Bubble_10
Ah awesome! How do you know this? Its really interesting, I had no idea actually as to why there were hardly any haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

Used to be a big tube fan when I was a kid. had books and everything on the tube. I know everything about the tube.
Reply 34
Original post by deryaya

Heyy how is it going? And LOL you'll never guess what happened the day I started Brunel...! My earphones broke!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 35
Heyy how is it going? And LOL you'll never guess what happened the day I started Brunel...! My earphones broke!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey!! Lool, omg are u serious?! How was the lonely train ride bk to Croydon huh?!?! :P

Everythings going goooood, enjoying campus life, especially the fact that if I wake up like 10 mins before a lecture I can still get there on time. Epicccc haha xD

How's uni going for you? :biggrin:
Reply 36
Original post by deryaya
Hey!! Lool, omg are u serious?! How was the lonely train ride bk to Croydon huh?!?! :P

Everythings going goooood, enjoying campus life, especially the fact that if I wake up like 10 mins before a lecture I can still get there on time. Epicccc haha xD

How's uni going for you? :biggrin:

Looool luckily I had spare earphones even though they are so crap!

My timetable isn't suitable for people travelling long distances :frown: Three days I finish at 6pm... so I get home late. Add the fact that I have to travel two hours just to go to one 2 hr lecture which is kinda annoying

Hence I envy people living on campus!

Only positive thing is that alot of people travel with the Metropolitan line so I've have some travel buddies now :smile:
Original post by deryaya
I live in east london, and I was just wondering whether you think its worth moving out to live on campus at Brunel which is in Uxbridge.
It'd take me around 2 hrs to get to brunel on a normal day, from my house (if i dont move out).

Plus, I'm gonna be studying English Lit, and i've heard from many that the English subjects have less time IN uni, more independent reading/study.

However, I did want to experience living out for a change, but the rent of the room/accommodation is off putting. £125 weekly, and around £4,600 in total. Anyone think its worth it?

Are there any Brunel students that can give me advice of campus life?

Opinions and general logical thoughts appreciated!

Hey have you moved to halls yet or are you 2014 entry ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 38
Hey :smile:

At the moment I live in Northolt (only 1 hour by bus to get to Uxbridge) and... well you might think im really stupid and wasting money but im planning to move out! :biggrin:

1. Because I want to make new good friends and experience that student life
2. Even 1 hour is quite long and tiring journey haha

So yeah to be honest I can't wait! I heard so many good comments about the campus so yesss, you should definitely move out. :tongue:
Original post by Eissy
Hey :smile:

At the moment I live in Northolt (only 1 hour by bus to get to Uxbridge) and... well you might think im really stupid and wasting money but im planning to move out! :biggrin:

1. Because I want to make new good friends and experience that student life
2. Even 1 hour is quite long and tiring journey haha

So yeah to be honest I can't wait! I heard so many good comments about the campus so yesss, you should definitely move out. :tongue:

Not a stupid decision at all, as you can see from the other post university isn't really suited to long commutes unless your in long enough to make the journey worth it

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending