The Student Room Group

Brunel vs Manchester Metropolitan for software engineering

I've received conditional offers from both Brunel and Manchester Metropolitan for a software engineering program, but I'm struggling to decide which one to choose. Can anyone offer some advice? Beyond the courses provided, what other factors should I consider when selecting a university? Thank you!!
(edited 3 months ago)
Original post by Caroline_White
I've received conditional offers from both Brunel and Manchester Metropolitan for a software engineering program, but I'm struggling to decide which one to choose. Can anyone offer some advice? Beyond the courses provided, what other factors should I consider when selecting a university? Thank you!!

Hi @Caroline_White

Congratulations on receiving an offer from Man Met!!😀

Location is a really important factor to consider when choosing a university. Remember, you'll be living there for 3 years! Think about whether you'd like to live in a city or town, attend a campus uni or city uni, facilities you'd like to be near to (e.g. nightlife, shopping, parks), how close it is to home for if you travel back, etc.

Similarly, living costs are important to consider. Have a look at the price of accommodation to see if it can fit within your budget. How much would it cost to travel around Uxbridge/London or Manchester? Would you need to get a part-time job? How much would a takeaway or a drink at a bar cost? These things might seem quite small but really add up in the long run!

Uni life and extracurricular activities are also worth considering. Basically, you don't want to be stuck in your room bored for the next 3 years. Have a look at the Student Union Websites to see if they have any activities that interest you. SU's have loads of societies for loads of different things so they're a great way to pick up a hobby and make friends!

Finally, you won't get a real feel for a place until you've been there. I'd definitely recommend going along to any open days that you're invited to. As a Man Met offer holder, you'll receive an invitation to one of our applicant visit days where you'll get to meet other offer holders, tour the uni and facilities, meet tutors and find out more information at our student life fair! 🙂

I hope this helps!!

Chloe😀
Dear Chloe,
Thank you for the advice, especially the suggestion to visit the university in person to really experience it.
That's an excellent idea!
Caroline
Hi @Caroline_White

Sorry for the late reply but great to hear that you have had an offer from Brunel too! 😆

There are some fantastic suggestions above and I would definitely reiterate the importance of attending the applicant days! As an offer holder you should shortly be invited to an Applicant Experience Day taking place at Brunel on 10th April. We find these days give students a great opportunity to see what life will be like if you choose Brunel.

Good luck and we're excited to meet you!

Sophie

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending