The Student Room Group

Should I choose my UCL accommodation or commute

Hi, though I live in London, I wanted to attempt to move out for uni however my allocated accom happens to be Ifor Evans hall which is a 30 minute walk away from campus and supposedly 13-19 minute commute by bus, or at least thats what google maps are telling me. Though it would be a quicker commute from my house, I’ve heard horror stories about Ifor Evans, and I don’t know if there is any point to moving out?
Original post by emi2021
Hi, though I live in London, I wanted to attempt to move out for uni however my allocated accom happens to be Ifor Evans hall which is a 30 minute walk away from campus and supposedly 13-19 minute commute by bus, or at least thats what google maps are telling me. Though it would be a quicker commute from my house, I’ve heard horror stories about Ifor Evans, and I don’t know if there is any point to moving out?

Hi there @emi2021, congratulations on securing your offer at University. Deciding where to live can be a difficult question. Here are somethings that you can consider:

Independence: living on campus can help you develop quite a lot of skills and independence. It can give you more responsibility and freedom.

Friend: you may be able to make new friends by living on campus, but at the same time, there is no need to befriend all your flatmates. Since your home address is close to University, making friends and attending socials should not affect your social life at Uni too much.

Studies: one thing you may like to consider is where you are able to focus better: at home or on campus. (Though since you are so close to campus, you can always visit the library if need be).

Fees: weighing up the costs of living on campus or at home can also be something to consider.

I think if you are not fond of the accommodation hall that you have been allocated, you could always stay at home for first year, and then try to apply for Uni accommodation next year? (though it depends on whether your University offers second year accommodations)

Hope this helps.
Chloe
-University of Kent
@emi2021

Which zone do you live in, in London?

If you are really far out that 30 minute walk might not be that bad.

Buses are reliable in London but if you are having to pay for student halls and pay public transport then it would make sense to stay at home.

Independence is great, but it is costly especially with accommodation in London and public transport.

Perhaps it's worth trying to save money this year and perhaps if you really want to live with university mates then you could move out next year and be a bit more financially cushioned. It would also give you time to find a place where you feel more comfortable staying, rather than just moving out to move out!

Hope that helps,

Oluwatosin 2nd year student University of Huddersfield

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending