The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by oh-my-diddy
Next weekend of boxing will probably be the best in the entire year. I can't believe its only a week away!

Probably one of the biggest in a long time. The two biggest fights possible in their respective divisions.
You guys watching it on BN or streaming?

Due to it starting very, very early morning (Floyd-Canelo will probably hit the ring at 4.30am) I was going to skip it but probably will tune it and have a nap before.

It'd be great if Canelo won, purely so it derails Amir Khan's slightly unnecessary fascination with Floyd and his big pay day. Not a Khan hater but nagged by the way he bangs on about Floyd all the time like he thinks he'd beat him lol. It's all because he'll rake in £5m to Mayweather's £30m. Rant over.

What would happen to Floyd IF he lost? I think he'd retire.
Original post by Aky786UK
You guys watching it on BN or streaming?

Due to it starting very, very early morning (Floyd-Canelo will probably hit the ring at 4.30am) I was going to skip it but probably will tune it and have a nap before.

It'd be great if Canelo won, purely so it derails Amir Khan's slightly unnecessary fascination with Floyd and his big pay day. Not a Khan hater but nagged by the way he bangs on about Floyd all the time like he thinks he'd beat him lol. It's all because he'll rake in £5m to Mayweather's £30m. Rant over.

What would happen to Floyd IF he lost? I think he'd retire.

Box nation. Don't think Floyd would retire, has a 6 fight contract deal. Will probably fight him in a rematch, win, then have a third fight to settle who's the best. Then fight Pacquiao, Khan and Mattyssee and retire as one of the greats :smile:.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Alvarez has been one of my favourite boxers since his Mosley fight. I know he has very little chance against Floyd, but I've got to back him. Andre Ward says Alvarez can only win with a "lucky punch". That's a bit harsh.

I reckon the judges would have a slight bias towards Alvarez if to goes to a decision, due to the amount of money the second (and third) fight would make. Even then, Floyd would probably still have a clear points victory.

After this fight, Floyd still has four more left. If he wins, I see him facing off against Bradley, Matthysse, Garcia and one other. Maybe Pacquiao or Khan. If he does lose, he'll definitely have a rematch.
Original post by Kenan and Kel
Alvarez has been one of my favourite boxers since his Mosley fight.

I love his punch style. He really commits to turning all those punches properly.
Original post by frankieboy
I love his punch style. He really commits to turning all those punches properly.

those mexican fighters are intense.they have great competition, whereas we cant same the same for the british fighters
They also train with a proper high guard too apparently. According to the trainer I use, the Mexicans and Cubans all train with very high guard and lots of footwork, a bit more like a kind of amateur style, but it gives them an excellent basic grounding for the pro fights. Our British guys seem to have some quite strange stuff and technique going on a lot of the time.
I think Mayweather's smart to take the fight now, and not in a couple years. He knows that'll he'll have to fight Canelo in one of his five remaining contracted fights, and the sooner the better for him. Canelo's still relatively inexperienced against top talent, and Mayweather's speed and reflexes are still as good as ever. If the fight happened in say two years time, Canelo may have three more big names under his belt and Floyd may have lost some of his sharpness. The best I can hope for as a Canelo fan is a fight with a lot of close rounds; and the judges leaning towards Canelo for the majority of those rounds.

Also, I can't believe Matthysse is a big bookies favourite. Probably worth putting a tenner on both Mayweather and Garcia on Saturday.
Matthysee vs. Garcia is a fantastic fight on paper - Garcia, to his credit, has delivered the smack to his dad's trash talking but Matthyse is a major challenger. I think Garcia will just about edge through, think his experience as champion might prove crucial.
He knows he's facing Floyd Mayweather, I'm facing just another opponent," said five-weight world champion Mayweather. If the game-plan is to keep up pressure, I can handle it. If the game-plan is to out-box me, nobody can out-box me. You have to be able to out-match me mentally, and I'm the strongest mental fighter in the sport of boxing. I've been here before so I know what it takes. He's 42-0, but he hasn't faced 42 Floyd Mayweathers, otherwise he'd be 0-42. I'm at the pinnacle. I'm the face of boxing."

Gotta love Floyd, the stuff he comes out with is just amazing. I usually hate arrogance but in his case its pretty much just justified confidence.
Reply 4990
Original post by doggyfizzel
Gotta love Floyd, the stuff he comes out with is just amazing. I usually hate arrogance but in his case its pretty much just justified confidence.

I agree, sometimes arrogance makes it all more entertaining, the build up before the fight especially. Not like he hasn't got what it takes to back it up entirely. I am not big on boxing, but I watch it now and then, definitely plan to watch forthcoming matches xD

You been watching the All Access shows?

Every fighter always talking about, 'We got the remedy!' No-****ing-body can beat me. Mother****er I am boxing.

Love the way he keeps thinking of new ways to say that he is the best.

I do wonder how his career, and boxing as a whole would be different if Castillo was given the victory back when Floyd was 27-0. I reckon we might have seen Mayweather-Pac but it wouldn't be as big a fight that it would be today, or two-three years ago. No Mayweather fight would be as big. Everyone buys his PPVs for the 5% chance that Mayweather might lose is unbeaten streak; nobody wants to take the chance on missing a huge part of boxing history.

That's why this Saturday is a must-watch. That 5% is about 10% this time. I'll be ordering.

Love the way he keeps thinking of new ways to say that he is the best.

I do wonder how his career, and boxing as a whole would be different if Castillo was given the victory back when Floyd was 27-0. I reckon we might have seen Mayweather-Pac but it wouldn't be as big a fight that it would be today, or two-three years ago. No Mayweather fight would be as big. Everyone buys his PPVs for the 5% chance that Mayweather might lose is unbeaten streak; nobody wants to take the chance on missing a huge part of boxing history.

That's why this Saturday is a must-watch. That 5% is about 10% this time. I'll be ordering.

People underestimate Canelo. Floyd has fought twice over 150pounds against Dela hoya and Cotto. Dela hoya was a close fight and Cotto actual hit Floyd and busted his nose. Canelo hits harder than both of them and is quicker and younger. Dela hoya and Cotto were way outta their prime.

Posted from TSR Mobile
No I just saw that quote from BBC. I'll have to have a look.

What time are we looking at? I'm not sure I'll catch it, already missing the United game which I'm massively annoyed about. I'll probably just stream it, usually only buy fights when I can get a group of people to watch it.

Found some Gifs of Floyd on the rare occasions he gets hit hard.

Saw some stats too, Floyd lands 42% of his punches on average, his opponents land 17% against him. Got to take it out of you mentally when you aren't getting anywhere with 80% of the shots you throw.

What time are we looking at? I'm not sure I'll catch it, already missing the United game which I'm massively annoyed about. I'll probably just stream it, usually only buy fights when I can get a group of people to watch it.

Found some Gifs of Floyd on the rare occasions he gets hit hard.

Saw some stats too, Floyd lands 42% of his punches on average, his opponents land 17% against him. Got to take it out of you mentally when you aren't getting anywhere with 80% of the shots you throw.

That short right by Judah was beautiful, its a shame he's just a bum nowadays because he has so much natural talent (how it wasnt ruled as a KD though :facepalm2:).
(edited 10 years ago)
Live weigh-in http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SwK7KW8Iiw (Change the quality!)

Original post by Serenade
People underestimate Canelo. Floyd has fought twice over 150pounds against Dela hoya and Cotto. Dela hoya was a close fight and Cotto actual hit Floyd and busted his nose. Canelo hits harder than both of them and is quicker and younger. Dela hoya and Cotto were way outta their prime.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Trust me I'm not underestimating Canelo. I think it'll be a lot like the Cotto fight tbh. I just hope Canelo can and will hit harder than Cotto. He needs to bully May onto the ropes like Cotto did, and hit hard on his body. I would love to see Canelo knock down May at least; even if he loses, that's still something huge to take away from the fight.

With such a huge fight on the undercard, the earliest I can see the main event starting is 4.45am. Will probably start after 5 though.
(edited 10 years ago)
Sadly, going to give the big fight a miss. It will probably kick off abit too late for my liking but hopefully catch a repeat somewhere online.

Garcia to beat Matthyse in round 6
Mayweather on points.
Been waiting for a fight like this for a while now, cannot wait:smile: Hopefully Canelo will provide that effective attacking edge that Cotto couldn't, Cotto barely troubled Mayweather (but then again who has?).
Reply 4998
Miss watching Joe Calzaghe fight.

Sorry, needed to post that somewhere.
Here's my predictions for tonight:

Mayweather by MD
Mathysse by 5th round KO
Molina by UD

Latest