The Student Room Group
Main building
University of Bradford
Bradford

Opinions of Bradford?

I've applied for law at Bradford. But I've heard bad things about that university so still considering my options (I have offers from city uni london, and uni of greenwich).

Anyone who goes there/lives there, is it a good place? Because I've heard that crime is quite high there and there are a lot of Pakistanis (I don't have anything against them but the chavs can be quite intimidating). Also, I've heard that the quality of teaching is bad and that people go there to piss about which really puts me off because I need to get a degree, and am looking for High quality education worth my £9,000 a year.

Opinions of the uni and the area? The accommodation looks really nice but it's more about the uni itself - is it any good? Or should I just stay in london?

Scroll to see replies

I go to leeds met but know few people from bradford uni. The uni is good buildings i been there. The teaching should decent as bradford got a decent ranking varies between subject area. The city is okay but the living expense is dead cheap and for nightlife its alright but its very close to leeds if into that. Check open days. You get better idea.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Main building
University of Bradford
Bradford
Original post by Vibenation
I go to leeds met but know few people from bradford uni. The uni is good buildings i been there. The teaching should decent as bradford got a decent ranking varies between subject area. The city is okay but the living expense is dead cheap and for nightlife its alright but its very close to leeds if into that. Check open days. You get better idea.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Is Leeds met any good?
Original post by socially inept
I've applied for law at Bradford. But I've heard bad things about that university so still considering my options (I have offers from city uni london, and uni of greenwich).

Anyone who goes there/lives there, is it a good place? Because I've heard that crime is quite high there and there are a lot of Pakistanis (I don't have anything against them but the chavs can be quite intimidating). Also, I've heard that the quality of teaching is bad and that people go there to piss about which really puts me off because I need to get a degree, and am looking for High quality education worth my £9,000 a year.

Opinions of the uni and the area? The accommodation looks really nice but it's more about the uni itself - is it any good? Or should I just stay in london?

noo the uni is quite good and the area is alright too. it's just like any other city; you get the good and the bad. i'm not sure about the law school there but the pharmacy school is really good, it has a good rep. but it has a new syllabus thing for pharmacy, and it's a lot of independent work, which is bad cos you are paying £9000 for the actual teaching, but it seems to be working out well for the graduates. you might want to check if it's the same for the law school.
accommodation is bradford is also cheeeap. whereas london is EXPENSIVE.
i get what you mean about the whole chav thing, but you're gonna get that in london too.
idk why but i like cities like bradford cos i genuinely think every city in england is kinda the same; cool shopping center, good and bad areas etccc, but bradford is diffferent. i guess thats cos it has a lot of asians in it, but that makes it new&refreshing
The quality and uni are both pretty good, but there are a lot of Asians so I wouldn't suggest going there if you would feel intimidated by them. With regards to the chavs, I don't really find it any more chavvy than any other city, say London for example.
Hey :smile:

I'm a current student at Bradford (although doing biomed)

Don't believe what the media says about Bradford. It isn't the prettiest city, but then it's a deprived area which gets much less money than other cities so the council has more important things to spend the money on. A shopping centre is currently being built and will open in 2015, and there are plans to turn the old Odeon isn't a music venue. Within 10 minutes of the main campus are the national media museum (free entry and has an imax), ice skating, bowiling, the cinema, the train station, horton park and city park which always has something going on. Doing law, you'll probably be at the School of Management Campus which has Lister park and a free art gallery across the road. There's a free bus for students between the two campuses.

Living in Bradford is cheap- ensuite rooms are available at £70 a week! You'd never get that in London! we also have the cheapest wetherspoons in the country a minute away from campus, and many great Indian restaurants.

Teaching at Bradford is like everywhere else, the majority of lecturers are great, and a few aren't. I know that Law actually has a few lecturers who are/ were judges, so they know what they're talking about!

This is where you would be studying http://www.bradford.ac.uk/management/about-the-school/our-bradford-campus/virtual-tour/
Original post by OneDayDoctor
Hey :smile:

I'm a current student at Bradford (although doing biomed)

Don't believe what the media says about Bradford. It isn't the prettiest city, but then it's a deprived area which gets much less money than other cities so the council has more important things to spend the money on. A shopping centre is currently being built and will open in 2015, and there are plans to turn the old Odeon isn't a music venue. Within 10 minutes of the main campus are the national media museum (free entry and has an imax), ice skating, bowiling, the cinema, the train station, horton park and city park which always has something going on. Doing law, you'll probably be at the School of Management Campus which has Lister park and a free art gallery across the road. There's a free bus for students between the two campuses.

Living in Bradford is cheap- ensuite rooms are available at £70 a week! You'd never get that in London! we also have the cheapest wetherspoons in the country a minute away from campus, and many great Indian restaurants.

Teaching at Bradford is like everywhere else, the majority of lecturers are great, and a few aren't. I know that Law actually has a few lecturers who are/ were judges, so they know what they're talking about!

This is where you would be studying http://www.bradford.ac.uk/management/about-the-school/our-bradford-campus/virtual-tour/

Thanks, this is really helpful. I guess it just comes down to whether you'll like it yourself and whether the teaching is worth it, but then even if the teaching isn't great then independent study is more important to help you clarify your understanding in whatever it is you want to do.

And I'm planning on applying to leeds and manchester and declining all my offers because I'd rather have a better accommodation at a cheaper price rather than struggling, thanks for the opinion!
Reply 7
The city isn't the best of looking cities and the homeless people seem to run shifts and have a 'change of the guard'. If you're female then it's even worse. A lot of attention is given from Asian males to young women. I've heard of them asking them to go with them down an alley, where my friend noticed some more men awaiting. However, I'm moving off campus next year to somewhere incredibly cheap yet very good. You have the option of The Green, an on campus accommodation albeit probably the most expensive in the city. The university is new, constantly being upgraded. It's quite small but I always say it has character. On campus, if you're at the Green, constant security patrolling. 24-7 library with access using your student card.

I could have gone to a fair few Universities, I got good A Levels, I choose UOB for the Clinical Science to Leeds Medicine route, I decided against medicine this year yet still want to stay at UOB, it's grown on me.
Original post by Danny-r
The city isn't the best of looking cities and the homeless people seem to run shifts and have a 'change of the guard'. If you're female then it's even worse. A lot of attention is given from Asian males to young women. I've heard of them asking them to go with them down an alley, where my friend noticed some more men awaiting. However, I'm moving off campus next year to somewhere incredibly cheap yet very good. You have the option of The Green, an on campus accommodation albeit probably the most expensive in the city. The university is new, constantly being upgraded. It's quite small but I always say it has character. On campus, if you're at the Green, constant security patrolling. 24-7 library with access using your student card.

I could have gone to a fair few Universities, I got good A Levels, I choose UOB for the Clinical Science to Leeds Medicine route, I decided against medicine this year yet still want to stay at UOB, it's grown on me.

:lolwut:
Wow no wonder my parents are terrified of me going to study there. I'm torn because it's a really good uni for my course (pharmacy) but I'm so put off by the city. I don't want to be scared to leave the house/halls. I'm also worried about the whole segregation thing, I don't want to feel excluded.
Reply 9
Have you actually been for a visit ? I think you need to try and see the campus and city for yourself to see if you feel comfortable there.
Original post by socially inept

Some of the departments at Bradford are good, like sciences, but I'm disappointed with the English literature course. I'm on a gap year atm but thinking of transferring to leeds for my final year.
Bradford City is horrible, I used to live in Bradford and no one I know had anything good to say about the town centre. Not many shops or decent clubs or bars tbh.
A lot of people on my course did not like Bradford but thought the uni was okay.
There are a lot of Asians at Bradford Uni and in Bradford itself. They were all friendly on my course.
Reply 11
Original post by purple_panther
:lolwut:
Wow no wonder my parents are terrified of me going to study there. I'm torn because it's a really good uni for my course (pharmacy) but I'm so put off by the city. I don't want to be scared to leave the house/halls. I'm also worried about the whole segregation thing, I don't want to feel excluded.

It's one of the best in Europe for pharmacy.
Original post by Danny-r
It's one of the best in Europe for pharmacy.

You've got to be joking. They started doing that 'team based learning' thing which I really don't like the look of. I still can't decide whether to pick Bradford. (I've got till the 5th June to make my firm choice)

The city looks really depressing and miserable as well.
Original post by purple_panther
You've got to be joking. They started doing that 'team based learning' thing which I really don't like the look of. I still can't decide whether to pick Bradford. (I've got till the 5th June to make my firm choice)

The city looks really depressing and miserable as well.

The city is lol.
What's the nightlife there like people?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MaheenMaheen
What's the nightlife there like people?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not very good tbh. No decent clubs really. There's Tokyos, revolution and che bar in the centre.
Original post by keturah
Not very good tbh. No decent clubs really. There's Tokyos, revolution and che bar in the centre.

Ahhh man

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
The uni is located in basically located in "karachi" So do not be expecting to feel being in an english uni.
Reply 18
Original post by Arithmeticae
The quality and uni are both pretty good, but there are a lot of Asians so I wouldn't suggest going there if you would feel intimidated by them. With regards to the chavs, I don't really find it any more chavvy than any other city, say London for example.

im just wondering, whats so intimidating about asians? i know asians that look like british white folk too so yano just wondering what this asians are intimidating means lol
Reply 19
Original post by Laob
The uni is located in basically located in "karachi" So do not be expecting to feel being in an english uni.

your grammar is similar to somebody from karachi
and im not asian btw so dont try that one

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending