The Student Room Group

inspector calls query

hello everyone, i just wanted to know at the end of the play birling comments on the "famous younger generation who know it all" is this dramatic irony could you say it is or is it wrong
Reply 1
please, i need some help on this quick
Yes I think you could, I don't have the play with me but I recall an early comment by Mr Birling saying about how there won't be a war or how the titanic won't sink, so this comment implying that he is right and the younger generation is wrong is ironic as he is the one who will turn out to be wrong, and because of when the play was performed (40s?) the audience will know that he is the one who is wrong, so yeah I would say that's dramatic irony. :smile:
Reply 3
thank you really helpful because my teacher said its not really dramatic irony but i said well to me it is because as you said they think they know more than the younger generation

also have you got any quotes you can remember to show how the inspector is supernatural
Original post by K3lvin
thank you really helpful because my teacher said its not really dramatic irony but i said well to me it is because as you said they think they know more than the younger generation

also have you got any quotes you can remember to show how the inspector is supernatural

Sorry I don't have a copy of the play, but you might be able to find some in his character description near the beginning? (might be in the stage directions)
Original post by AlphaNick
"Look at the pair of them - the famous younger generation who think they know it all, and they can't even take a joke"

you should memorise these (not like I did, it just diffused into my mind)

So do you know all the quotations for AIC? I'm still learning mine :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by K3lvin

-His name-'Goole'-pun on ghoul?
-Later revealed not be a real police officer
-Says biblical stuff such as 'we are all members of one body'. Presents him as manifestation of God
-intimate knowledge on Eva's life
-seems omnipotent(all knowing)
-warnings on future wars,'the time will soon come where if men do not learn their lesson then will be taught in fire and blood and anguish'

Posted from TSR Mobile
All I need to know is that I use the following pages as markers:

16-17 - Inspector's arrival / Birling's monologue
56/57 - Inspector's speech
64/65 - Reactions to the Inspector possibly being fake

Oh. Are you allowed a copy of the play in your exam? Mine is closed book

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by teenhorrorstory
Oh. Are you allowed a copy of the play in your exam? Mine is closed book

Posted from TSR Mobile

We all get a fresh copy in the exam

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TheNaughtyOne
We all get a fresh copy in the exam

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lucky :frown: I'm on edexcel igcse and we're not allowed. Need to memorise AIC and OMAM quotations

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah we get the play.. I can't imagine doing it without it tbh!

But surely with your photographic memory it shouldn't be a problem? :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lucky :frown: I'm on edexcel igcse and we're not allowed. Need to memorise AIC and OMAM quotations

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are you for real? That's mad. Good luck

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TheNaughtyOne
Are you for real? That's mad. Good luck

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah I know, but for most people it would be difficult, do you know the question or something along those lines?

Nope. Any character and theme could come up

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah I know, but for most people it would be difficult, do you know the question or something along those lines?

Lol alpha nice flriting

Posted from TSR Mobile
What are you talking about...?

Dm

Posted from TSR Mobile

Or maybe not? :smug:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone doing to kill a mocking bird?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply