The Student Room Group

Tips to get into medicine

I would like to get into medicine but I do not think that I have the most sufficient grades needed to get in but I was wondering if there was a way to get into medicine by doing a medicine related course. I have also seen that medicine allow graduate entry, would that mean I had to finish the 3-4 years of a current course before I could apply to graduate course. One last thing, my teachers, and UCAS tutor at my school as well as some teachers say it is unlikely for me to get in to do medicine but I really, passionately want to do it, should I quit while I am ahead or pull through and wait for my AS grades to come through?

Sorry for the long essay, I just need some positive advice.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by missmoniika
I would like to get into medicine but I do not think that I have the most sufficient grades needed to get in but I was wondering if there was a way to get into medicine by doing a medicine related course. I have also seen that medicine allow graduate entry, would that mean I had to finish the 3-4 years of a current course before I could apply to graduate course. One last thing, my teachers, and UCAS tutor at my school as well as some teachers say it is unlikely for me to get in to do medicine but I really, passionately want to do it, should I quit while I am ahead or pull through and wait for my AS grades to come through?

Sorry for the long essay, I just need some positive advice.

Well firstly how do your gcse's look?
If you haven't even got AS grades yet then calm, make decisions once you know the facts of those grades.
If you can get a good ukcat and/or bmat you'd stand a chance plenty of places regardless.
It's about you and how much work you're prepared to put into your a levels to achieve AAA no one else can tell you that!
Graduate medicine after a sciencey degree is an option but it's at least 4x more competitive than the most competitive undergrad med school and around 10x more than the least competitive so not the ideal back up plan.
If when you finally get a2 grades next summer if they arent good enough and you still desperately want to work in healthcare perhaps you should consider other health progressions. Eg nursing, midwifery, radiology etc. These professions are well respected, caring, options with very good pay prospects if you work hard and obviously crucially that healthcare environment.
Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by em.d_4
Well firstly how do your gcse's look?
If you haven't even got AS grades yet then calm, make decisions once you know the facts of those grades.
If you can get a good ukcat and/or bmat you'd stand a chance plenty of places regardless.
It's about you and how much work you're prepared to put into your a levels to achieve AAA no one else can tell you that!
Graduate medicine after a sciencey degree is an option but it's at least 4x more competitive than the most competitive undergrad med school and around 10x more than the least competitive so not the ideal back up plan.
If when you finally get a2 grades next summer if they arent good enough and you still desperately want to work in healthcare perhaps you should consider other health progressions. Eg nursing, midwifery, radiology etc. These professions are well respected, caring, options with very good pay prospects if you work hard and obviously crucially that healthcare environment.
Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you for the advice. I am choosing my universities carefully. I am only worried because my GCSE's are 2 Distinctions (ICT and Health and Social Care) 6A's, 5B's and 1C. However, if I improve and get AAABB in my AS levels, won't the universities consider the fact that I have improved which showed how dedicated I am to the subject of medicine.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
Thank you for the advice. I am choosing my universities carefully. I am only worried because my GCSE's are 6A's, 5B's and 1C. However, if I improve and get AAABB in my AS levels, won't the universities consider the fact that I have improved which showed how dedicated I am to the subject of medicine.

That really depends on the uni, not that many seem to focus on AS grades which I do find odd. If I were you I'd go smash the ukcat and get the work experience and apply to places where they focus on ps and ukcat and only have a basic minimum cut off foe academics. Eg not somewhere which will score or rank your academics.
Also remember with AAABB you're still behind many if not the majority of applicants who'll have AAAA at AS

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by em.d_4
That really depends on the uni, not that many seem to focus on AS grades which I do find odd. If I were you I'd go smash the ukcat and get the work experience and apply to places where they focus on ps and ukcat and only have a basic minimum cut off foe academics. Eg not somewhere which will score or rank your academics.
Also remember with AAABB you're still behind many if not the majority of applicants who'll have AAAA at AS

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are there any universities that focus more on ps and UKCAT rather than academics?
Your GCSE results are great... although I doubt will do you any favours for Medicine.
Reply 6
Are there any universities that focus more on ps and UKCAT rather than academics?

Newcastle huge ukcat, Southampton again big on ukcat.
Sheffield are quite into ps but check the min academic requirements and sAme for bristol.
Once exams are done sit yourself down and research every single medschool in turn and make your own decision on which suits your strengths! That's what I'm doing for my reapplication so I don't miss anything.
Leeds accept as instead of gcse's for ranking

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by em.d_4
Newcastle huge ukcat, Southampton again big on ukcat.
Sheffield are quite into ps but check the min academic requirements and sAme for bristol.
Once exams are done sit yourself down and research every single medschool in turn and make your own decision on which suits your strengths! That's what I'm doing for my reapplication so I don't miss anything.
Leeds accept as instead of gcse's for ranking

Posted from TSR Mobile

I had chosen Kings, Imperial, Sheffield and Leicester. However, I will wait for the AS grades to come through before I make definite decisions. I like the look of Southampton and Leeds so I might have a look there. Thank you, can I ask what universities are you applying to and what were your GCSEs. Also how come you are reapplying this year?
Reply 8
I had chosen Kings, Imperial, Sheffield and Leicester. However, I will wait for the AS grades to come through before I make definite decisions. I like the look of Southampton and Leeds so I might have a look there. Thank you, can I ask what universities are you applying to and what were your GCSEs. Also how come you are reapplying this year?

Last year I applied to Newcastle Leeds sheffield and qub. The middle two really didnt play to my strengths I just wasn't tactical enough. Also my as grades were AAAB the b being in chemistry so I wonder of that hindered me. 60% of applicants are unsuccessful you just have to accept that gap years are very likely
My gcse's are 6A*'s and 5A's. My ukcat was 737.5 but obviously I have to retake that for this year. My A2 predictions are A*A*AA. I'm now working on improving my ps.
Where I apply depends on my ukcat but I've narrowed it down to Newcastle, Glasgow, Barts, Leicester, qub, and Southampton as my most likely possibilities.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Hi Missmoniika,
You really need to research the different universities you are interested in and apply to your strenghs. This is a really useful article http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Applying_to_Medical_School_using_your_Strengths that compares the different criteria universities are looking for. What kind of work experience have you got already?

- Do NOT apply to Leicester - You will surely be rejected with 6 x A at GCSE
- Do apply for Leeds if you get 3 x A at AS - you will be in the top for academics
- Do apply for Sheffield if you get 4 x A at AS - you will be in the top for academics
Reply 11
Original post by Parent_help
- Do apply for Leeds if you get 3 x A at AS - you will be in the top for academics
- Do apply for Sheffield if you get 4 x A at AS - you will be in the top for academics

This is true definitely avoid Leicester as you would only have a maximum of 27 academic points meaning your only small chance at an interview would be getting over 3000 in the ukcat which isn't impossible but not a safe bet.
Though upon reading more of sheffields admissions and my own experience of Sheffield this year they do not rank academics etc they purely use them as a cut off with ukcat do remove those who dnot meet the minimum before proceeding to PS reading. Therefore as you meet the gcse requirements strong as grades won't make a difference there.
Also not that Leeds will be using bmat this year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by Parent_help

Thank you so much, do you think I should leave King's and Imperial too. I was planning on going there to study biomedical sciences or Biochemistry.
Reply 13
Original post by Spiggy
Hi Missmoniika,
You really need to research the different universities you are interested in and apply to your strenghs. This is a really useful article http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Applying_to_Medical_School_using_your_Strengths that compares the different criteria universities are looking for. What kind of work experience have you got already?

Thank you for the advice. I am currently doing work experience in a dementia care home and I will carrying that out fora total of 4 - 5 months. I have 2 weeks in a pharmacy in the summer holidays, I am also trying to get work experience to shadow a Doctor but I think that I would have to be 18 to do that.
Just a quick question, when you mean universities ranking the as grades is it what you got or what you're going to be predicted in terms of A2 as I'm worried I might end up withh a B in biology and wondering if that's a hinderance to my uni as I think I can hopefully get predicted and achieve an A at the end of Alevels ?
Original post by em.d_4
This is true definitely avoid Leicester as you would only have a maximum of 27 academic points meaning your only small chance at an interview would be getting over 3000 in the ukcat which isn't impossible but not a safe bet.

Yes - I agree - (it also assumes 3 X A at AS)

Original post by em.d_4

Though upon reading more of sheffields admissions and my own experience of Sheffield this year they do not rank academics etc they purely use them as a cut off with ukcat do remove those who dnot meet the minimum before proceeding to PS reading. Therefore as you meet the gcse requirements strong as grades won't make a difference there.

The info is a bit vague with this - but I do know that Sheffield score academics - Band 1 is AAAA at AS, Band 2 is AAAB

Original post by em.d_4

Also note that Leeds will be using bmat this year.

Yes - I read this! - It may be reasonable to assume that the academic ranking will change at Leeds too - very likely it will be like Sheffield too (4 X A instead of 3 X A)
Reply 16
Original post by student2345
Just a quick question, when you mean universities ranking the as grades is it what you got or what you're going to be predicted in terms of A2 as I'm worried I might end up withh a B in biology and wondering if that's a hinderance to my uni as I think I can hopefully get predicted and achieve an A at the end of Alevels ?

In the vast majority of cases it's based on gcse's a select few use as grades and many will factor in ukcat. Look at qub page their.method is very clearly explained so gives an idea how others may work too

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by em.d_4

Posted from TSR Mobile

Radiology is a medical specialty. Do you perhaps mean radiography?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Original post by Asklepios
Radiology is a medical specialty. Do you perhaps mean radiography?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah sorry my mistake. Not that it makes much difference, my point was simply that there are many other healthcare professions if your grades aren't up to medicine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Thank you for the advice. I am currently doing work experience in a dementia care home and I will carrying that out fora total of 4 - 5 months. I have 2 weeks in a pharmacy in the summer holidays, I am also trying to get work experience to shadow a Doctor but I think that I would have to be 18 to do that.

No worries! :smile: that is great you are undertaking a long term work exp placement in a care home. Unis like it if you have "hands on" care experience and community work rather than a lot of doctor shadowing, because it gives you a better chance to reflect on what you did and what you learnt. Another good place to start is using this website do-it.org which gives info on volunteering placements local to you, e.g. support groups/soup kitchens/youth clubs.
Hope this helps!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending