The Student Room Group

How many of the 64 films in TSR's Movie Madness Comp have you seen?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LoicInAfrica
Haha, really? Well, like I said, when you're living in Africa, and you've got nothing else to do, you might as well watch a film, right?

That sounds like a good order to me, having just looked up those three films.

Yea, Think We've had 1 person at 64/64, , 1 at 63/64 and 2 at 62/64.

If i could be bothered i'd make a TSR leaderboard but i am way too busy with 100000 other TSr projects i'm doing. :tongue:
Well, I've just found out it's a French film, but done in English. I absolutely imperatively must watch it, then! How would you rank it, say, against Pulp Fiction?

Not an easy comparison, both are excellent but stylistically very different. Personally, of the two, I rate Leon the higher; but we are splitting hairs.
Well, Go get involved in the cartoon polls then !

Up is against Hwo to Train Your Dragon

Lion king is against Monsters.

finidng enmo is Facing (the far superior) Wall-E

And Toy Story 3 is kicking Mary & Max's Ass.
Haha, really? Well, like I said, when you're living in Africa, and you've got nothing else to do, you might as well watch a film, right?

That sounds like a good order to me, having just looked up those three films.

Yea, sounds like what i would do. And read a giant amount of books.

:ahee:

Guessing ftw.
Original post by Motorbiker
That's pretty awesome! Which ones have you not seen?

(Have you checked out the polls we have going? With 44 films watched you' be a good opinion)

Not the worst we've had by a long way! Which 9?

:console: But on the other hand you get to watch all those awesome films for the first time in future and experience that enjoyment!

:O Think you're in the top 5 of the 200+ people that have replied so far!

Now to watch those. I'd go with Leon, Then Eternal sunshine then Mary and Max but i just pulled that order out of nowhere really.

Sunset Boulevard, The Green Mile, Monty Python, Dr Strangelove, Its a wonderful Life, Singing in the rain, Casablanca, Paths of Glory, The Pianist, Once Upon a time in the west, Apocalypse Now, Blade Runner (although I want to watch this one), The Usual Suspects, Rear Window, Memento, Lawrence of Arabia, North by Northwest, Leon: The Professional, Mary and Max
Original post by kingdoo
Sunset Boulevard, The Green Mile, Monty Python, Dr Strangelove, Its a wonderful Life, Singing in the rain, Casablanca, Paths of Glory, The Pianist, Once Upon a time in the west, Apocalypse Now, Blade Runner (although I want to watch this one), The Usual Suspects, Rear Window, Memento, Lawrence of Arabia, North by Northwest, Leon: The Professional, Mary and Max

Dw about Mary and Max, I think only about 4 people so far have seen it! :tongue:
Dw about Mary and Max, I think only about 4 people so far have seen it! :tongue:

I hadn't even heard of it until recently although I know it is meant to be really good.:biggrin:
Not seen any of Group A :/ although a couple are on my watch list for when I get back to uni.
Three of Group B
Three of group C (<3 Schindler's List, and to a slightly lesser extent Apocalypse Now and Saving Pvt. Ryan)
Six of Group D (with blade runner near the top of the watch list, Pan's Labyrinth being the other I haven't seen)
Only Two of Group E (Silence of the Lambs and Alien, along with a few bits of Psycho, but that doesn't really count)
Five of Group F (Adore Gladiator; Raiders, Aliens, and Dark night aren't bad either; inception could have been better)
Nothing from group G either :/ although, again, a couple are on my list
Only Three from group H (Not watched many newer things)

Based on what I've seen, I would want the winner of Each group to be:
A) Well, I haven't seen any, so won't pass judgement.
B) Holy Grail
C) Schindler's List (One of the few films that can actually make me Cry), or failing that, Apocalypse Now. Both show the darker side of conflict that so many films and games neglect.
D) While it probably wouldn't win many awards were it released today, 2001, even if it does creep my out in a few parts (The monkeys near the start and the giant space baby thing at the end, chiefly [not that there aren't others, the stone slab music is pretty creepy]).
E) Silence of the Lambs
F) Gladiator
G) Well, again, haven't seen any, no judegement.
H) Lion King (Or Toy Story 3, but it's no where near as good as 1 and I would much rather see Lion King win).

Out of all 64? Schindler's List>Apocalypse Now=Gladiator=Lion King>Lambs=Grail

Is there a thread with all the results rolled into one? Sad to see Holy Grail and 2001 fall.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Jammy Duel
Not seen any of Group A :/ although a couple are on my watch list for when I get back to uni.
Three of Group B
Three of group C (Apocalypse Now=Gladiator=Lion King>Lambs=Grail

Is there a thread with all the results rolled into one? Sad to see Holy Grail and 2001 fall.

Yes, sticky thread called round one view results contains them all so far in a nice readable format.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=48541423

Also, group E to H first round matches are still going so you can go vote and chat on them. :smile:

I was also sad to see 2001 go but these things happen.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by kingdoo
I hadn't even heard of it until recently although I know it is meant to be really good.:biggrin:

I hadn't heard of it until this comp tbh. :lol:

I've heard it's fairly awesome as well. May need to check it out.
What the Hell is Mary and Max? Like, how did I never hear of a Disney movie. I am a Disney fanatic and I don't know this

EDIT

Oh, it's Australian. Well, I'm going to play the "I live in Africa" card once again.
Out of the 64 I believe I've only seen about 19 of them. Woops :s-smilie:

But at least I now know what I'm doing this summer :biggrin:
Yes, sticky thread called round one view results contains them all so far in a nice readable format.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=48541423

Also, group E to H first round matches are still going so you can go vote and chat on them. :smile:

I was also sad to see 2001 go but these things happen.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Depending how things pair up next round C:
IF Schidler is against Apocalypse now, I expect a close win for Schindler (I asumme it will be QF1 v 2 and 3 v 4)
If they aren't against each other, I hope they both win and then Schindler in the final, however I can see Saving Pvt. Ryan being tough competition

Now 2001 is gone, I expect a final between Star Wars and LotR, depending on semis set up, and a close win for LotR.
Original post by Jammy Duel
Depending how things pair up next round C:
IF Schidler is against Apocalypse now, I expect a close win for Schindler (I asumme it will be QF1 v 2 and 3 v 4)
If they aren't against each other, I hope they both win and then Schindler in the final, however I can see Saving Pvt. Ryan being tough competition

Now 2001 is gone, I expect a final between Star Wars and LotR, depending on semis set up, and a close win for LotR.

Yep, check out post 21 in that thread for the line ups.

There are some very tough matches coming up.

Posted from TSR Mobile
63/64 Missing `Mary and Max', which I'd never heard of. A pretty good film selection, except for 2001 which is unwatchable.
Original post by fat_hampster
63/64 Missing `Mary and Max', which I'd never heard of. A pretty good film selection, except for 2001 which is unwatchable.

You're in equal second place! :woo:

If someone wanted to skim the whole thread and find the top 5 i'll edit it into the OP but as of right now i cba...

You should check out Mary and Max, i've heard very good things about it form the few that have watched it.

2001 is unwatchable? :O I loved it. But i'm a giant nerd. It is a bit slow paced though and does tend to drag...
You're in equal second place! :woo:

If someone wanted to skim the whole thread and find the top 5 i'll edit it into the OP but as of right now i cba...

You should check out Mary and Max, i've heard very good things about it form the few that have watched it.

2001 is unwatchable? :O I loved it. But i'm a giant nerd. It is a bit slow paced though and does tend to drag...

:smile:

I'll add it to my list.

Yeah, I couldn't stand it (and I'm a giant nerd). Once upon a time in the west is also quite slow paced but is probably my favourite film, the problem with 2001, is that it's not just slow paced, nothing really happens. I really don't understand what people see in it.

My picks from the sections would be (in case anyone is interested):

Spoiler

Original post by fat_hampster
:smile:

I'll add it to my list.

Yeah, I couldn't stand it (and I'm a giant nerd). Once upon a time in the west is also quite slow paced but is probably my favourite film, the problem with 2001, is that it's not just slow paced, nothing really happens. I really don't understand what people see in it.

My picks from the sections would be (in case anyone is interested):

Spoiler

Your group A and B picks are both already knocked out in the first round and monsters Inc is losing badly in first round to lion king.

You joined in the voting?

Posted from TSR Mobile
10 all the way through (avengers, godfather, finding nemo, toy story, lion king, 2001, holy grail, back to the future, inception, braveheart), I've started but never been able to finish LoTR (only redeemed by Christopher Lee), Star Wars (unfortunately the only with Lee in it has him alongside Heyden Christensen and an assortment of rubbish), Saving Private Ryan or Forrest Gump (one of the most over-rated films of all time, most certainly the least funny "comedy" ever).

tbh, there's not many on this list I'd want to see - I don't trust Nolan with superhero films (Man of Steel was just god awful), and I'm more of a Marvel than DC person anyway, not a fan of the Steven King books I've read, not an animation person - and half of them I've never heard of (what on earth is American History X or Paths of Glory.

I think of the ones I've not watched, only Goodfellas is one I want to.
(edited 9 years ago)
I've just seen "Mary and Max". I didn't expect that AT ALL. I was not expecting a stop-animation film to make me feel that way. It was wonderful and out of the norm. I'm glad I decided to see it.

62/64

Quick Reply

Latest