The Student Room Group

Has a cinema ever let someone see a film which is above their age?

Just wondered
Reply 1
Yes.
Sometimes cinemas allow children under the age of 12 to see a movie rated 12A with the permission of their legal guardian or the adult who is with them.
Reply 2
Original post by londonmyst
Yes.
Sometimes cinemas allow children under the age of 12 to see a movie rated 12A with the permission of their legal guardian or the adult who is with them.

I don’t mean that I mean a cinema letting say a 13 year old see a 15 certificate film
Reply 3
Original post by killabitis
I don’t mean that I mean a cinema letting say a 13 year old see a 15 certificate film

Yes
Even still, it is may be illegal for a cinema to do so even with parental permission.

In Spring 1997 Princess Diana bought three tickets to see a 15 rated movie, for herself and her sons.
Prince Harry was 12 years old and the cinema staff at Kensington Odeon were very reluctant to allow him to watch because of his age, only relenting when Princess Diana pleaded with them.
Reply 4
Original post by londonmyst
Yes
Even still, it is may be illegal for a cinema to do so even with parental permission.

In Spring 1997 Princess Diana bought three tickets to see a 15 rated movie, for herself and her sons.
Prince Harry was 12 years old and the cinema staff at Kensington Odeon were very reluctant to allow him to watch because of his age, only relenting when Princess Diana pleaded with them.

And did the cinema get into trouble
Reply 5
Just like age restrictions for retail, cinemas will need to have systems in place to try and prevent underage access. Unless you look well above the age limit it’s quite possible you’ll be asked for id. My mate tried to get in to an 18 when 16 and got turned away
My daughter went unaccompanied when she was 11 to see Pixels which was a 12A.
We'd already seen it together as a family but she loved it and wanted to see it again. So I let her, and met her at the cinema when it had finished. The cinema didn't ID her.
I mean cinemas know many people that come to watch a certain age restricted movie aren't of the appropriate age, but they don't always spend time ID checking everyone. They only do so - in my experience - for particularly violent or inappropriate movies. Even then, I doubt that they'd go out of their way to kick someone out who has slipped in to watch the movie despite being a year or two younger.
No. Never ever. Always watched films they were suited for my age. Really. I swear.
when me and my dad went to watch IT when I was way below like 16 we went to one of the staff ppl and she said no bc I didnt have ID and my dad just went to another staff member and they just let us in lol.
so I think it just depends staff member to staff member if they let it slide
Original post by Zarek
Just like age restrictions for retail, cinemas will need to have systems in place to try and prevent underage access. Unless you look well above the age limit it’s quite possible you’ll be asked for id. My mate tried to get in to an 18 when 16 and got turned away

Exactly
Reply 12
Original post by ebyrne2036
Yeh

What did they let you into a film you weren’t old enough to see
Not me specifically as I actually look young for my age but I know of some of my friends who have
Reply 14
The staff don't make enough to care as long as you're pleasant. I got into 17+ showings when I was a lot younger with never any issues.

Quick Reply

Latest