The Student Room Group

Enough GCSEs for a good uni?

I did my exams this june but I only took 8 GCSE subjects, and I'm a bit worried if this is going to be a problem in the future even though I did get quite good results. They are:

Spoiler

And also, how many A levels whould I take? I would like to study something regarding physics. Thanks in advance.:smile:

Post-Data: This is my first post.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
Hey, there.

Firstly, unless you're considering Oxford, Cambridge, or Medicine, GCSEs are only a tick box; don't worry about them, just focus on your AS Level, and get those results as strong as possible.

You have English, Maths and a Science, so don't worry. And, if you get those results, no University, other than the ones mentioned, will mind.

Also, if you only sat that many, you won't be necessarily held to blame: the university will be aware that some schools don't sit as many, and probably won't hold you accountable.

Hope that helps, and welcome to the forum!
Original post by Tolstoy
Hey, there.

Firstly, unless you're considering Oxford, Cambridge, or Medicine, GCSEs are only a tick box; don't worry about them, just focus on your AS Level, and get those results as strong as possible.

You have English, Maths and a Science, so don't worry. And, if you get those results, no University, other than the ones mentioned, will mind.

Also, if you only sat that many, you won't be necessarily held to blame: the university will be aware that some schools don't sit as many, and probably won't hold you accountable.

Hope that helps, and welcome to the forum!
Thanks!
Reply 3
Original post by Heisenberg97

Do not fret; there is a member here (for privacy reasons I won't divulge who) who did 8 GCSEs and got an offer to read Natural Sciences at Cambridge.
Original post by Indolence
Do not fret; there is a member here (for privacy reasons I won't divulge who) who did 8 GCSEs and got an offer to read Natural Sciences at Cambridge.
Haha I wish! (why not)
I would not worry about your results. University look at a pass in Maths, English and Science and then usually 3 A Levels a a specific grade. To check university requirements its best to look at their websites and see what they want, For example I did a maths degree at Surrey and they wanted AAB with and A in maths and at least a C in GCSE English and science.
Original post by MathsGirl
I would not worry about your results. University look at a pass in Maths, English and Science and then usually 3 A Levels a a specific grade. To check university requirements its best to look at their websites and see what they want, For example I did a maths degree at Surrey and they wanted AAB with and A in maths and at least a C in GCSE English and science.
Thanks
those are good gcses, and tbh gcse (except english and maths) aren't all that important.
for physics I would say do 4 AS, and you can drop one after AS if you want, but most unis ask for 3 A levels and 1 AS at least, and for physics you need physics and maths (if you don't want to do physics but like engineering or something instead, look at the unis you're considering's websites to see the subject requirements).
Chemistry, further maths, engineering etc all go well with it, they're useful although you don't need them. Also not all your subjects have to relate to what you want to do at uni, like I'm going to uni in a month to do physics and I did art AS.
I did my exams this june but I only took 8 GCSE subjects, and I'm a bit worried if this is going to be a problem in the future even though I did get quite good results. They are:

Spoiler

And also, how many A levels whould I take? I would like to study something regarding physics. Thanks in advance.:smile:

Post-Data: This is my first post.

Why could you possibly think that is not good enough? Those predicted grades are brilliant.

These Alvels go well with Physics

-Maths
-Further Maths
-Biology
-Chemistry
-Geology
-Environmental Studies
(the list goes on...)

How many should you take?

...Well what do you want to do? Uni course? Job?

If you did want to study Architecture then Physics, Art/DT and Maths are good to take

If you wanted to do Geotechnics then Geology is good etc...

It really depends what you want to do with what alevels you choose and how many
Original post by CactiQueen
Why could you possibly think that is not good enough? Those predicted grades are brilliant.

These Alvels go well with Physics

-Maths
-Further Maths
-Biology
-Chemistry
-Geology
-Environmental Studies
(the list goes on...)

How many should you take?

...Well what do you want to do? Uni course? Job?

If you did want to study Architecture then Physics, Art/DT and Maths are good to take

If you wanted to do Geotechnics then Geology is good etc...

It really depends what you want to do with what alevels you choose and how many
Thanks for the reply!

It's not that I think these grades aren't good enough, it's that seeing as others have taken 11 or even 12 GCSEs, 8 seemed rather low. I still don't know what I want to study so I don't want to ''close any doors''.
Thanks for the reply!

It's not that I think these grades aren't good enough, it's that seeing as others have taken 11 or even 12 GCSEs, 8 seemed rather low. I still don't know what I want to study so I don't want to ''close any doors''.

8 is the minimum amount, at my school I took 12 but that was because some subjects were a one year course rather than a two year so don't worry about it some schools do things differently :-)

Good Luck for results day, you will do fab :-)
Original post by hestermae
those are good gcses, and tbh gcse (except english and maths) aren't all that important.
for physics I would say do 4 AS, and you can drop one after AS if you want, but most unis ask for 3 A levels and 1 AS at least, and for physics you need physics and maths (if you don't want to do physics but like engineering or something instead, look at the unis you're considering's websites to see the subject requirements).
Chemistry, further maths, engineering etc all go well with it, they're useful although you don't need them. Also not all your subjects have to relate to what you want to do at uni, like I'm going to uni in a month to do physics and I did art AS.
Thanks for the response, useful info.
No, that's not a problem at all, unless you want to study at Oxford or Cambridge.

I would suggest taking 3 A-levels along with 1 AS level. If you want to do something physics related, you probably want to be taking physics and maths for A-level along with something else you enjoy.
Original post by jemmaaa0853
No, that's not a problem at all, unless you want to study at Oxford or Cambridge.

I would suggest taking 3 A-levels along with 1 AS level. If you want to do something physics related, you probably want to be taking physics and maths for A-level along with something else you enjoy.
Thanks for the reply.

I'll definitely do Maths and Physics and am thinking of doing Further Maths at least at AS Level. Then I'll probably do History or ICT, and I'll do a one year course for Spanish A2 to secure a good grade as it's my mother tongue.
Thanks for the reply.

I'll definitely do Maths and Physics and am thinking of doing Further Maths at least at AS Level. Then I'll probably do History or ICT, and I'll do a one year course for Spanish A2 to secure a good grade as it's my mother tongue.

That sounds like a good idea to me. Good luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest