The Student Room Group

Are 7A*s and 3A*s good enough for Ivy League?

Are 7A*s and 3As good enough to compete for international places in US unis such as MIT, Harvard and Stanford?

Error in the title.
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

no
Why no. Is absolutely amazing and they'll surely accept you

Posted from TSR Mobile
at my school there are over 50 kids with more than 7A stars at GCSE, so it is not amazing at all.
There are over 20 with over 10 A stars and our school is nowhere near the top of the league tables!
Original post by MaherPhd
Why no. Is absolutely amazing and they'll surely accept you

Posted from TSR Mobile

never
Original post by SilentSword
Are 7A*s and 3As good enough to compete for international places in US unis such as MIT, Harvard and Stanford?

Error in the title.

only one of those schools is in the Ivy League.

The question oughtn't to be whether those grades are enough to compete but whether they will of themselves disqualify you (and they will not).
What exactly is the Ivy League (I'm from the UK)?:smile:
Original post by sunshine774
What exactly is the Ivy League (I'm from the UK)?:smile:

the Ivy League was originally a sporting conference of private universities in the north eastern United States. "League" because for sports, "Ivy" because the colleges' buildings were ivy clad. There are 8 schools in the Ivy League and since it refers to a historical circumstance there are no leavers and can be no new joiners.

Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Columbia, Penn, Cornell, Brown and Dartmouth.
Original post by cambio wechsel
the Ivy League was originally a sporting conference of private universities in the north eastern United States. "League" because for sports, "Ivy" because the colleges' buildings were ivy clad. There are 8 schools in the Ivy League and since it refers to a historical circumstance there are no leavers and can be no new joiners.

Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Columbia, Penn, Cornell, Brown and Dartmouth.

So are these the top unis in the USA?:smile:
Original post by sunshine774
So are these the top unis in the USA?:smile:

no. It would be very unusual if the top universities in that huge country happened all to be (relatively) close enough to each other that sports teams could travel between them even a hundred and more years ago.

The best, better 'best regarded', 8 universities in the United States would be (and only in the order that I call them to mind)

Harvard, Stanford, MIT, Princeton, Caltech, Yale, Berkeley and Chicago.
Assuming I get sufficient SATs and A-Levels, will these grades work against me?
Those grades are definitely good enough to get in.

But there are many, many people with those grades .The real question is what your extracurricular activities are.

Ivy League people do charity work, are heads of student government, etc. If you really wanted to go, you'd have done research in to that, though, so I assume you've got a host of extracurricular's to put in to your application. The grades are fine.
Reply 12
Your SAT score and extra curriculars would be the diferentiating factor.
Original post by cambio wechsel
no. It would be very unusual if the top universities in that huge country happened all to be (relatively) close enough to each other that sports teams could travel between them even a hundred and more years ago.

The best, better 'best regarded', 8 universities in the United States would be (and only in the order that I call them to mind)

Harvard, Stanford, MIT, Princeton, Caltech, Yale, Berkeley and Chicago.

Oh..OK I understand now!:smile: Thank you!x:biggrin:
Original post by SilentSword
Assuming I get sufficient SATs and A-Levels, will these grades work against me?

When you're applying to top US universities, generally grades and scores can only work against you. Past some level of "good enough", it's all about your essays, ECAs, and recommendations. Focus on those as well as doing the best you can in school.
Reply 15
The application is holistic. Very unlikely those grades would make your application, however, they won't break it either. This is also true for SAT scores.
Reply 16
Original post by azizadil1998
never

I got 7A*s at GCSE and was accepted to Princeton last month, so I don't know why you're so certain.
Original post by ccmar15
I got 7A*s at GCSE and was accepted to Princeton last month, so I don't know why you're so certain.

Neverrr has anyone not understood my sarcasm :biggrin:
Reply 18
Original post by azizadil1998
Neverrr has anyone not understood my sarcasm :biggrin:

Ah sorry pal
Original post by ccmar15
Ah sorry pal

Npp

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending