The Student Room Group

One UMS From A*

Hey there!

I just had my first day of year 11, and at the end I got to pick up my first GCSE, which we were all forced to do last year.

As you can see from the title, I was one UMS away from an A* grade. I'm really happy with an A of course, but I'm just wondering what people recommend.

Should I consider a remark or just live with it?

This is GCSE statistics by the way.
I don't think that grades generally change in the science subjects when they're remarked, as the answers aren't subjective - they're right or wrong. You won't lose anything if you do get it remarked, but I doubt you'll gain anything either. An A is a great grade regardless :yep:
Remark definitely. That is a very high so it's very unlikely that the A will drop to a B. However, the A could easily rise an A* .

Examiners are people, not robots, so they can make mistakes when calculating your UMS points.
My friend had her ICT paper remarked and she got 6 more UMS points (albeit her grade didn't change).
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Strom
Hey there!

I just had my first day of year 11, and at the end I got to pick up my first GCSE, which we were all forced to do last year.

As you can see from the title, I was one UMS away from an A* grade. I'm really happy with an A of course, but I'm just wondering what people recommend.

What GCSE was it? :tongue:
Reply 4
I would say don't bother, an A in statistics is good enough and once you're doing A-levels nobody will care what GCSE grades you have. If it were a core subject such as maths I would say get a re-mark, but no university or college in the country asks for an A* at GCSE statistics for anything as a specific requirement.
As someone above said, it's probably worth getting it re-marked. After all, examiners are not perfect.
Reply 6
REMARK!

in other words, REMARK!

if you are doubtful about remarking you should REMARK!

an A is good, but getting an A* is better. there is no risk for you as you wont go to a B, and 1ums? thats a pretty narrow margin
Reply 7
Whether it's "important" later on or not, it's important to you know and being only 1 UMS mark is less than one actual mark in the paper. I would say get it remarked, it's not just checking the grades but method marks count for a lot and you could gain one or two by getting it remarked as well as a recount.

Good Luck :smile:
Original post by Strom
Hey there!

Firstly, well done! :h:

Tbh I'd say try for a remark but I don't know if it's likely for the grade to be lowered. :/
As it's only 1 UMS I'd say go for it but an A is great regardless. :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by karmacrunch
Firstly, well done! :h:

Tbh I'd say try for a remark but I don't know if it's likely for the grade to be lowered. :/
As it's only 1 UMS I'd say go for it but an A is great regardless. :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey, thanks! :cool:

I think I'll probably go for it, since I can't really go down an entire grade.

Thanks again! How was year 10 day 2? :biggrin:

And wow, my own GCSE! I guess I am old... :colonhash:
essay subject - do it
low marks on coursework - do it
maths or science exam - give it a miss

Posted from TSR Mobile
I hear remarks are costing the best part of £50. I don't know if this is true but if it is... Screw it imo, not worth it
i got my biology paper remarked, i needed one mark but was given 6. I did that in year 10, most people said to me i would not get any marks. You get a refund if your mark goes up, seriously go for it.
Original post by Strom
Hey, thanks! :cool:

I think I'll probably go for it, since I can't really go down an entire grade.

Thanks again! How was year 10 day 2? :biggrin:

And wow, my own GCSE! I guess I am old... :colonhash:

You're welcome! :tongue:

Yay and good luck!

It was pretty good, Chemistry was great, had RS (debating!!) and I've started Textiles... That was pretty daunting but I'm happy. :ahee:

So old... You're ancient and evolving. :colone:

Original post by Arithmeticae
essay subject - do it
low marks on coursework - do it
maths or science exam - give it a miss
Posted from TSR Mobile

Replied and...
Can I ask why you shouldn't for maths and science? Is it because you can either get the answer right or wrong... in most cases? :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by karmacrunch
Replied and...
Can I ask why you shouldn't for maths and science? Is it because you can either get the answer right or wrong... in most cases? :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile

definitely not in maths (or stats), the mark schemes are very precise and unless the examiner is a complete n00b they should be able to apply them without making mistakes

with sciences it's possible, but still pretty unlikely tbh

i would say the best bet is to check if any coursework has been moderated down and try and sort that out

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
if you're feeling super confident you can get an A*, and you dont want to do a remark you could ask your school to put you in with the year 10s when they sit their stats (when you are nearing the end of year 11). wont cost you anything as the school should cover the cost :smile: although i probably wouldnt resit it as it would add stress to you :smile:
Original post by Arithmeticae
definitely not in maths (or stats), the mark schemes are very precise and unless the examiner is a complete n00b they should be able to apply them without making mistakes

with sciences it's possible, but still pretty unlikely tbh

i would say the best bet is to check if any coursework has been moderated down and try and sort that out

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah okay, thank you! :h:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AdamCee
I hear remarks are costing the best part of £50. I don't know if this is true but if it is... Screw it imo, not worth it

It's £36 for a level remarks, don't know about GCSE's.
Original post by Fawkesgirl33
It's £36 for a level remarks, don't know about GCSE's.

Oh really? Less than I thought. But that's still a horrendous amount to pay when you don't even know if you deserve the marks..

Imo they should release people's results papers alongside their UMS score so they can self mark and see if they should remark.... Although there's probably some legal issues or whatever with that
Original post by AdamCee

£23.30 for my exam board :colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest