The Student Room Group

Pearson Edexcel FRENCH

hello everyone

I jsut got my A2 grade for French today but im genuinely confused . I got an A in the AS and now I got an A I think ? on the A2. but im not sure if its actually an A or an A* . do I have to add the scores up to see if I got an A * ?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by spam44
hello everyone

I jsut got my A2 grade for French today but im genuinely confused . I got an A in the AS and now I got an A I think ? on the A2. but im not sure if its actually an A or an A* . do I have to add the scores up to see if I got an A * ?

Your AS grade has no bearing over your A2 (or A Level) grade. If the certificate says A, then that means you achieved an A in A Level French.

Congratulations on the grade, by the way :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by SagaciousSag
Your AS grade has no bearing over your A2 (or A Level) grade. If the certificate says A, then that means you achieved an A in A Level French.

Congratulations on the grade, by the way :smile:

Hey thank you for such a quick reply
I saw this on their website . is the overall grade on the side my "cash in"?
"international AS units and overall qualifications (cash-ins) are graded A to E. International A2 units are graded A to E but we publish the theoretical A* boundary. Overall International A level qualifications (cash-ins) are graded A* to E."
Original post by spam44
Hey thank you for such a quick reply
I saw this on their website . is the overall grade on the side my "cash in"?
"international AS units and overall qualifications (cash-ins) are graded A to E. International A2 units are graded A to E but we publish the theoretical A* boundary. Overall International A level qualifications (cash-ins) are graded A* to E."

Apologies. I was speaking from a UK perspective.

Looking at the website, you need to achieve an A grade overall and at least 90% of the A2 UMS marks for an A*, or else you've achieved an A.

For a four-point International A Level, you need to score at least 180 UMS marks at A2 and 320 UMS marks overall to achieve an A*. This means you would need to add up the scores.

For a six-point International A Level, you need at least 270 UMS marks at A2 and 480 UMS marks overall for an A* grade.

Hope this helps.
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 4
Original post by SagaciousSag
Apologies. I was speaking from a UK perspective.

Looking at the website, you need to achieve an A grade overall and at least 90% of the A2 UMS marks for an A*, or else you've achieved an A.

For a four-point International A Level, you need to score at least 180 UMS marks at A2 and 320 UMS marks overall to achieve an A*. This means you would need to add up the scores.

For a six-point International A Level, you need at least 270 UMS marks at A2 and 480 UMS marks overall for an A* grade.

Hope this helps.

hey this is all really helpful but im not sure what the difference is between the 90% grade one and the 4 point international ?
I think I might be doing the four point but I have no idea . my overall grade was out of 400 though im not sure if that helps
thank you so much btw <333 im definetly doing international though it says on the pearson website that im doing the "INTERNATIONAL ADVANCED LEVEL" is that a four point ?
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 5
hellooo
im doing the international advanced level
I got a 344/400 (A)on my French A2
and a 176/200 (A) on my AS

do I have an A* ? or just an A ?
Original post by spam44
hellooo
im doing the international advanced level
I got a 344/400 (A)on my French A2
and a 176/200 (A) on my AS

do I have an A* ? or just an A ?

You have an A grade, as that is your A2 grade. You don't add your AS grade on :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by CatusStarbright
You have an A grade, as that is your A2 grade. You don't add your AS grade on :smile:

I think that it's a total of both my A2 and AS grade since each are worth 200 and the entire exam is out of 400 . do you know how I can find out wether I did a "four unit a level" or jsut the normal one.

it would make the difference between an A and an A*. my school hasn't told me anything about this so im quite lost

thank you sm <3
Original post by spam44
I think that it's a total of both my A2 and AS grade since each are worth 200 and the entire exam is out of 400 . do you know how I can find out wether I did a "four unit a level" or jsut the normal one.

it would make the difference between an A and an A*. my school hasn't told me anything about this so im quite lost

thank you sm <3

That looks like you did a 'four-unit A Level' and that the A is your overall. However, please do ask your teacher to clarify if you are not sure.
Original post by spam44

thank you sm <3

Yes, that score out of 400 is your overall A-level score.

If your AS score is 176 and your overall is 344 then your A2 score is the difference, so 344-176=168/200. To get an A* you usually need 90% at A2, so 180, as well as 80% overall. As your A2 score isn't that high, you score an A on account of having at least 80% (320/400) overall.
Original post by spam44

thank you sm <3

You can find the International A-level Edxecel grade boundaries here:
https://qualifications.pearson.com/en/support/support-topics/results-certification/grade-boundaries.html?Qualification-Family=International-Advanced-Level
https://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/Support/Grade-boundaries/International-A-level/2306-ial-subject-grade-boundaries.pdf

I don't know how the UMS and all of that works though.
Reply 11
Original post by Saracen's Fez
Yes, that score out of 400 is your overall A-level score.

If your AS score is 176 and your overall is 344 then your A2 score is the difference, so 344-176=168/200. To get an A* you usually need 90% at A2, so 180, as well as 80% overall. As your A2 score isn't that high, you score an A on account of having at least 80% (320/400) overall.

nono yeye i definetly get that but my problem is that if I did do a "four part " a level then I got an A* because an overall of 320 out of 400 is an A* . but I know for a fact that if Im doing the "normal" one I need an 90%

this is what it says on the website

"For other four-unit Edexcel International A levels you must:

score at least 320 UMS marks for your overall International Advanced Level
score at least 180 UMS marks at International A2."
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by spam44
nono yeye i definetly get that but my problem is that if I did do a "four part " a level then I got an A* because an overall of 320 out of 400 is an A* . but I know for a fact that if Im doing the "normal" one I need an 90%

This is an A-level that happens to be made up of four modules (not uncommon for modular A-levels in languages!). I don't see why that would move the A* boundary down from 90% UMS to 80%?
Reply 13
This is an A-level that happens to be made up of four modules (not uncommon for modular A-levels in languages!). I don't see why that would move the A* boundary down from 90% UMS to 80%?

yes thats what I thought to but if it says it on their website it must be correct . now the thing is im not sure if im doing that "four part" a level or not
Original post by spam44
yes thats what I thought to but if it says it on their website it must be correct . now the thing is im not sure if im doing that "four part" a level or not

Can you link that bit of the website please? :smile:

Ok so as you say, the relevant bit of that FAQ is this:
For other four-unit Edexcel International A levels you must:

score at least 320 UMS marks for your overall International Advanced Level
score at least 180 UMS marks at International A2.

You've ticked off the first bit by getting 344/400, but you haven't hit the 180 UMS at A2 (remember the A2 is only the Y13 part of the qualification, nothte overall).

As per my working in post #5, your A2 UMS was only 168, so you didn't get fulfil the second condition.
Reply 17
Ok so as you say, the relevant bit of that FAQ is this:

You've ticked off the first bit by getting 344/400, but you haven't hit the 180 UMS at A2 (remember the A2 is only the Y13 part of the qualification, nothte overall).

As per my working in post #5, your A2 UMS was only 168, so you didn't get fulfil the second condition.

but do you think it would matter ? surely if I got the overall grade required (24 extra points) I should have an A* no?
or could they deduct point because I didnt get 180 in the A2
Original post by spam44
but do you think it would matter ? surely if I got the overall grade required (24 extra points) I should have an A* no?
or could they deduct point because I didnt get 180 in the A2

No, you have to meet both criteria to get the A*.
Reply 19
No, you have to meet both criteria to get the A*.

whattt thats ridiculoussss . too bad :frown:

thank you for your help its much appreciated have a lovely rest of the day <3

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending