The Student Room Group

Aldi Supermarket withdraws soap deemed 'offensive' to Islam

http://rt.com/news/224135-aldi-mosque-soap-muslim/

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/germany/11355177/Aldi-withdraws-soap-brand-insulting-to-Muslims.html

German supermarket chain Aldi Sud has prompted a national debate by taking a brand of liquid soap off the shelves after a Muslim shopper complained he was offended by its label. The decision has sparked a wave of outrage from other customers.

The Ombia 1001 Night brand cleanser - produced by ALDI itself - which has been on sale since December, depicts what appears to be the Hagia Sophia in Constantinople. It was the biggest Orthodox Church in the world until the city was conquered by the Turks in 1453. It then served as a mosque, and is currently a museum with no religious function.
On January 14, Ali Girdapoglu, a Facebook user with a Turkish flag on his avatar, demanded the removal of the product on Aldi’s brand page.

“When I saw your product, I was somewhat shocked that a mosque was depicted as it is a sight that signifies dignity and respect for Muslims. For this reason I view it as inappropriate,” wrote Girdapoglu.
“Many might say this is an overreaction, but the line between freedom expression, or art, and inviolable values is a thin one, and as an Islamic customer, I ask you to remove this item.”
While the request garnered just over 20 likes, it has provoked over 800 comments, as customers debated the merits of the demand.

Reuters / Christian Charisius

Aldi Sud, which has over 1,700 stores in Germany, and more than 4,500 worldwide, quickly acquiesced.
“We are sorry to have offended you with the design please rest assured this was not at all our intention. The product will be removed from sale shortly,” posted the management on the Facebook page.

Scroll to see replies

Aren't you meant to wash before prayers? Seems quite apt...

But really this is pretty ridiculous, I mean it's a few Facebook comments, doesn't seem like they was any sort of protest/wide vote to have it removed.
Simple, just ignore his obscene request!
Unsurprising - businesses don't want to offend their customers
Aldi can do what they want to maximise their profits. Fine by me.
Reply 5
Original post by felamaslen

How are they maximising their profits by withdrawing a product that a Muslim complained about, businessman.
Original post by Joinedup
Unsurprising - businesses don't want to offend their customers

You mean customer. It was one person who complained!
I don't know what's more pathetic, the fact that this guy bothered to complain or the fact that Aldi acquiesced.

I doubt this maximised profits
All I can say is...how can you be offended by some soap? I mean seriously, it's really not even that serious. I do not understand what the world is coming to...and quite honestly I'm not sure I even want to.

Could they not just take it out of that particular shop and leave it in the others?

Now they have more people wanting it back vs 1 man who moaned about it.

I can't do this anymore! :eek:
Original post by Catholic_
How are they maximising their profits by withdrawing a product that a Muslim complained about, businessman.

People complaining is bad publicity.
Original post by Native To Europe
I doubt this maximised profits

Maybe you should take that up with the CEO of Aldi. Why would they do something which is detrimental to their own profits, unless it were legally required?
People complaining is bad publicity.

One person complaining does not make people.
My God... the hagia sophia, a mosque? I've never heard anything so stupid in my life. Somebody seriously needs a lesson in Byzantine history. It is the holiest site in Orthodox Christianity after Jerusalem! It was built by the Romans, before Muslims even existed! Holy Mary mother of god... pray for these idiots.

It's funny though, because there are quite a lot of Greeks in Germany. They can kiss goodbye to any self-respecting Greek shoppers after this.
(edited 9 years ago)
I seriously hate it when corporations bend like this, only helps towards making this the status quo.
Maybe you should take that up with the CEO of Aldi. Why would they do something which is detrimental to their own profits, unless it were legally required?

I don't think this single offended muslim would be detrimental to their profits. You are being silly
Original post by Grantland
I seriously hate it when corporations bend like this, only helps towards making this the status quo.

What do you expect them to do? they're there to make money not provide moral leadership

companies will want back down in the face of anything that looks like it might become a looming bandwagon (with the exception of companies like charlie hebdo where an essential part of the product is causing offense.)

The people within a company responsible for making decisions are rewarded for making money, not for being brave,
Can we all just ignore people like this? Or laugh and tell them to **** off.
It's getting a little silly now. People need to start growing a backbone.
Disgusting.

Although it's almost more disgusting that Aldi have no backbone and pander to the PC culture. Terrible culture. It's not even the truth, it's just some stupid phrase now that explains all the "omg better not offend anyone" attitude.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending