The Student Room Group

Bulking at university

I’m moving to university in September and the money thing will come a shock to me. I was wondering if any of you are bulking on a diet and if any of you can suggest a bulking diet for around £30 a week at 3000 kcals? I was also wondering how much I could put on or how much you guys suggest because I am currently underweight. I am 5 ft 8 and 58kg. Any help would be appreciated!
Reply 1
Original post by hedge1
I’m moving to university in September and the money thing will come a shock to me. I was wondering if any of you are bulking on a diet and if any of you can suggest a bulking diet for around £30 a week at 3000 kcals? I was also wondering how much I could put on or how much you guys suggest because I am currently underweight. I am 5 ft 8 and 58kg. Any help would be appreciated!

Lidl and Aldi do kg tubs of peanut butter for £3.99!
Things are generally a bit cheaper if you buy them in larger packs. Also look out for supermarket "budget" lines, and make the most out of loyalty cards etc. (e.g. Lidl Plus, Nectar, Tesco Clubcard).
This white rice is 52p for 1kg; brown or white bread 45p for an 800g loaf; these oats are 90p for 1kg (used to be cheaper). Protein-wise, depends on what you normally like to eat. Chicken, tuna, lentils, yoghurt, soya mince or soya chunks buy in bulk, or whatever works out cheapest per 100g or kilo or whatever. Also make sure you get some fats and a few fruits and veggies in there as well!
Might be worth having a look at some supermarket online shopping websites (for ones near you at uni) to get a general idea of prices, and come up with a few ideas for different meals. Some people swear by batch cooking/meal prep; I like to cook a load of lentils/beans/chickpeas etc. at the start of the week to use throughout the week; find what works best for you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest