The Student Room Group

GCSE revision 2015

When is the best time to start revising for GCSE? How many minutes/hours a day? and do you have any good, effective revision techniques. Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
now is the best time to start. tbh, Ive started 2day 2 :biggrin:
use ur textbooks and condense every bit of information into notes,
make these notes into flashcards (perhaps with a question on one side and the answer on the other side),
or perhaps write them briefly on post-it notes and stick 'em all over ur bedroom wall, even on the toilet door so u can read them while u do ur stuff ;D
you should do past exam papers which shuld be available on the website of the exam boards of the subjects u r taking.
can u BELIEVE that the exams are ONLY 4 MONTHS AWAY?! my firstexam is on the 11th of une. aaarrrghhhhh!!!!! I cannot cannot belive it.....
anyways, good luck :smile:
For maths i would recommend Mathswatch and for English lang/lit Mr Bruff.
To revise effectively you should be looking at past papers and doing them as well as marking then grading it. May you please tell me your subjects for GCSE so I can clarify how you can revise?
Original post by Girl21
make these notes into flashcards (perhaps with a question on one side and the answer on the other side),
or perhaps write them briefly on post-it notes and stick 'em all over ur bedroom wall, even on the toilet door so u can read them while u do ur stuff ;D
you should do past exam papers which shuld be available on the website of the exam boards of the subjects u r taking.
can u BELIEVE that the exams are ONLY 4 MONTHS AWAY?! my firstexam is on the 11th of une. aaarrrghhhhh!!!!! I cannot cannot belive it.....

"If people are not laughing at your goals, your goals are too small."

Good luck in advance
:smile:
Original post by Hiba.A
When is the best time to start revising for GCSE? How many minutes/hours a day? and do you have any good, effective revision techniques. Thanks

"If people are not laughing at your goals, your goals are too small."
Good luck in advance and remember practice makes perfect.
Aw. You lot are doing GCSEs. Seems like a world away :rolleyes:

Just keep your cool and try not to stress too much over 'em. Don't worry about starting too late. If you're considering starting revision now then you're way ahead of the game.
I've started now. Do past papers, find weaknesses, make flash cards and target your weaknesses. Anything you really don't understand, there's usually a YouTube video that explains the topic. Do however much you can; some nights I do an hour after school, sometimes nearly three (not consecutive), other nights I do none. Don't revise if you don't feel well and remember to take breaks! Good luck! :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Prioritise your weakness in terms of subjects!

I'm good at maths but terrible at English! So I'll be focusing a little more for English!
Original post by Jalal Uddin
Aw. You lot are doing GCSEs. Seems like a world away :rolleyes:

Just keep your cool and try not to stress too much over 'em. Don't worry about starting too late. If you're considering starting revision now then you're way ahead of the game.

Way ahead of the game for A/A*s or B and C grades?
Original post by Jitesh
Prioritise your weakness in terms of subjects!

I'm good at maths but terrible at English! So I'll be focusing a little more for English!

What revision techniques have you employed for English lang and lit?
Reply 11
Original post by Rudimentary
What revision techniques have you employed for English lang and lit?

at the moment, none :eek:

I guess technically practise, but I haven't done much lol

Hopefully I'll re-read the prose I am studying :smile:

Sadly I just never really enjoyed English, so have ended up avoiding revising it for other subjects!
Not a good idea!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Hiba.A

Anytime is a good time start revising when you feel like it. I will start revising in half term.
I mostly go through my notes and revise from there.
Good Luck with your revision :smile:
Reply 13
I feel the most effective way is the "scribble technique"; read a page of a textbook/revision guide and scribble everything down you can remember without looking, then check what you got wrong/right.
Original post by Rudimentary
Way ahead of the game for A/A*s or B and C grades?

Honestly people I know have gotten A/A*s by doing revision a few days before the exam.

Obviously this is quite difficult for certain subjects (imo history was incredibly difficult to cram in a couple days). Doing revision months ahead of the exam (which is what you're supposed to do...) is going to help out a lot.

It's simple really, the more revision you do/past papers you complete, the better chance of getting a good grade. There's no date by which you should be starting, it's different for each person.
Reply 15
Original post by Girl21

IKR! so much to do so little time, i thought about starting during the half term holidays and get rid of all my cw this week. In the half term i just want to focus on the sciences for the week. For my mock i did the question on one side and answer on the other side and that DID help, but for this halfterm i'm going to try and revise by making powerpoints and condensing the info into bullet point (because apparently the best way to revise is by teaching).
My first exam is on the 11th as well i think Religious education first right?
Reply 16
Original post by German123
For maths i would recommend Mathswatch and for English lang/lit Mr Bruff.

Yeah, mathswatch is REALLY helpful
Reply 17
Original post by Ukvoltaire
To revise effectively you should be looking at past papers and doing them as well as marking then grading it. May you please tell me your subjects for GCSE so I can clarify how you can revise?

Bio, chem, physics, maths, geog, history, re, english lang, english lit
Reply 18
Original post by Fallen99
Anytime is a good time start revising when you feel like it. I will start revising in half term.
I mostly go through my notes and revise from there.
Good Luck with your revision :smile:

Same, i'm going to try to start on the monday of the half term and try to focus on sciences. Did you try mindmaps before?
Original post by Jitesh
I feel the most effective way is the "scribble technique"; read a page of a textbook/revision guide and scribble everything down you can remember without looking, then check what you got wrong/right.

Ooh, I will try this :'D

Thanks for this!

Quick Reply

Latest