The Student Room Group

Are old skool GTA games better?

I feel like compared to 3,vc and SA the characters and story and missions were mostly dull in gta5 and gta4, though 5 was much better and less dark.

Though the gameplay and world better in next gen still felt also somewhat dull compared to the 'themed' cities in previous games...maybe the scale of it and amount of nothingness took away the more active feel of the older game worlds.

Also still inability to enter buildings sucks even saints row had that ages ago.

I just couldnt get into gta5 the way i did the ps2 games but also im older now.
I don't really agree about the characters and story/missions being duller compared to Vice City and San Andreas for GTA V. I'm not overly keen on GTA IV so I can see your point there, but for GTA V I found the characters (Trevor?) to be engaging and the missions pretty fun. It's actually probably my favourite of the GTA's.
Reply 2
Original post by Angry Spartan
I don't really agree about the characters and story/missions being duller compared to Vice City and San Andreas for GTA V. I'm not overly keen on GTA IV so I can see your point there, but for GTA V I found the characters (Trevor?) to be engaging and the missions pretty fun. It's actually probably my favourite of the GTA's.

I think that the game is less themed.

What i mean by that is there is no central theme like VIce city all neon lights and miami vice 80s theme, scarface...the whole city and characters encaptured all that.

San Andreas the whole gangsta rap, menace 2 society theme.

Though gta3 didnt have a theme it still made the game map compact and each area had a theme such as the italian mafia area, chinatown area, mexicano area, the jamaican area etc.....most part of each map had a theme and so did all the characters missions etc they were all OTT stereotype gangs.

GTA5 lacks that..the map has no focal points and themes...its more a true reflection of a real world city which one would think would be a pro but the older maps such as vice city made purely for gaming fun imo worked out better.....to much free and needless space/areas in gta5 map even though its great to roam.

Also 3 characters wasnt a great idea imo and michael and his family bore me. Franklin is just a poor CJ. Though trevor was mad and his early missions were also fun he faded out.

The gameplay in missions for some are the best ever been cant disagree some of them amazing and the shooting and mechanics best ever been on par with top games like max payne and COD etc...

However, I just feel that the map world and story and overall package was missing a main theme that made others great...sure its about doing robberies etc but i mean a theme as in 80s miami or 90s gangsta rap etc...

I really liked in gta3 how each area had gangs and they were OTT all with there own kinda guns and cars and clothing....it was comedy gaming not realistic...but i liked that and this game lacked that.....
Reply 3
Original post by musicola
I feel like compared to 3,vc and SA the characters and story and missions were mostly dull in gta5 and gta4, though 5 was much better and less dark.

Though the gameplay and world better in next gen still felt also somewhat dull compared to the 'themed' cities in previous games...maybe the scale of it and amount of nothingness took away the more active feel of the older game worlds.

Also still inability to enter buildings sucks even saints row had that ages ago.

I just couldnt get into gta5 the way i did the ps2 games but also im older now.

There are unique good points about every GTA game, in my opinion, but the only four I ever got into were GTA III, GTA: Liberty City Stories, GTA IV and GTA V (yes, I'm a Liberty City fan).

GTA III was my first game so I was mesmerized by the sandbox-style of gaming, and I loved the Mafia-themed plot and the characters. Double Clef FM and Flashback FM were also great to listen to. GTA: Liberty City Stories featured many of the same characters, so I liked that one as well, and was set in the same city with the same map.

I really liked the GTA IV plot and the map, and the Jazz radio station. I didn't so much like the GTA V plot or the music, but the map was, and is, amazing. I don't think I like it as much as the other three, but I play it online a lot: it has a much better multiplayer than GTA IV.
GTA: VC and GTA: SA are the best ones.. Got them on steam and whenever I'm not by the river or doing work then I'll be playing either one of those 2 games :colone:
Original post by Binary Freak
GTA: VC and GTA: SA are the best ones.. Got them on steam and whenever I'm not by the river or doing work then I'll be playing either one of those 2 games :colone:

Agreed. Vice City had the best and engrossing atmosphere of the GTA games, no other GTA has been so stylised or had the ability to draw you in so much. San Andreas was also a long game and you could do outrageous things in it.
Original post by Protégé
Agreed. Vice City had the best and engrossing atmosphere of the GTA games, no other GTA has been so stylised or had the ability to draw you in so much. San Andreas was also a long game and you could do outrageous things in it.

Agree to both. Sometimes I prefer the lesser-graphic games, the way current games are developed way too much time goes into the graphics as opposed to the gameplay
Old school are GTA 1 to GTA 2. The GTA 3 series is just like the GTA IV and GTA V series.

But if anyone cares (which, internet spoilers btw, no one cares about our lists), it's San Andreas > GTA IV > Vice City > III > V > 2 > Chinatown Wars for me so far. GTA V was fine but had a lot missing, a tiny map in reality, and shouldn't have even been a V, but a GTA IV: Los Santos.
Grove street 4 lyf foo, Niko straight busta.
Reply 9
Original post by Angry Spartan

I haaaaaaated Trevor. He scared the life outta me! I much preferred Franklin and the way he tried to ease the tension between Trevor and Michael. Especially since I chose ending C :smile:

Back to the topic at hand, GTA V was probably one of, if not my favourite game mostly because I was too young to remember the others. The heists were enjoyable, the graphics were beyond amazing and I loved how you could escape from the police even at 2 stars and above (so I never got busted, woo!).

Although I do miss when the paramedics revived the people I punched down so they'd all remember me and start a massive brawl in the middle of the road :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest