The Student Room Group

How many rejections did you have?

Before you got your first full time job?
Reply 1
(edited 7 months ago)
About 6-7 months out of uni. Then a couple of years temping before I had a full time contract.

Can’t remember how many rejections I got. It was decades ago :smile:
Hi,

I was supposed to have a job with a company I did my PhD with... but unfortunately, their head office (in America) decided to move all their production offshore, first to Poland and then to China. The people I worked with there ended up taking voluntary redundancy (if they couldn't even secure their own position, how are they going to hook me up?). Luckily, after about a year I got a similar project which lasted 2 years.

After that, I was out of professional work for two years, and ended up doing low-level temping work, which included many kinds of jobs (including a dustman.. everything my mum warned me about if I didn't work hard... although once you get over that (and the smell) it wasn't that bad lol). Eventually, I retrained in IT (my background was Mechanical Engineering, with an Electronics bias) , took a few industry exams and have been working in this industry since then.

As I recall, you said your immigration status complicates the issue, so you'd really be better off speaking to someone here who's from another country who has gotten around it. They may well be able to tell you some loopholes or get-out clauses that us "natives" are unaware of.

@Admit-One As an official helper, can you suggest anyone who may be able the OP out? Time is running out for them, and they need an action plan... fast.
Reply 4
Original post by Old Skool Freak
Hi,

I was supposed to have a job with a company I did my PhD with... but unfortunately, their head office (in America) decided to move all their production offshore, first to Poland and then to China. The people I worked with there ended up taking voluntary redundancy (if they couldn't even secure their own position, how are they going to hook me up?). Luckily, after about a year I got a similar project which lasted 2 years.

After that, I was out of professional work for two years, and ended up doing low-level temping work, which included many kinds of jobs (including a dustman.. everything my mum warned me about if I didn't work hard... although once you get over that (and the smell) it wasn't that bad lol). Eventually, I retrained in IT (my background was Mechanical Engineering, with an Electronics bias) , took a few industry exams and have been working in this industry since then.

As I recall, you said your immigration status complicates the issue, so you'd really be better off speaking to someone here who's from another country who has gotten around it. They may well be able to tell you some loopholes or get-out clauses that us "natives" are unaware of.

@Admit-One As an official helper, can you suggest anyone who may be able the OP out? Time is running out for them, and they need an action plan... fast.

Thanks a lot @Old Skool Freak
i have a few hundred rejections and still don't have a career
don't remember now. Many.

I also made the mistake of taking a job that was not a good fit at all because I was getting desperate, took a couple of months of misery before they ended my probation - which was hard to explain at subsequent interviews

Research shows the interview process gets it wrong about 50% of the time, which can cut both ways - you might get rejected for a job that you are a good fit for, or you might get offered a job that you are not
Reply 7
Original post by Anonymous
i have a few hundred rejections and still don't have a career

I feel your pain 😞 its so stressful
Reply 8
Original post by ChiefBrody
don't remember now. Many.

I also made the mistake of taking a job that was not a good fit at all because I was getting desperate, took a couple of months of misery before they ended my probation - which was hard to explain at subsequent interviews

Research shows the interview process gets it wrong about 50% of the time, which can cut both ways - you might get rejected for a job that you are a good fit for, or you might get offered a job that you are not

In the end its all about luck I guess. I ve seen people who can barely communicate be offered roles which involves heavy communication
Reply 9
Original post by Old Skool Freak
Hi,

@Admit-One

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending