The Student Room Group

4756 OCR MEI FP2 22nd June 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by chizz1889
Ah s**t yeah I was looking at non-MEI. Lol my bad

:colondollar:
I feel like the boundaries for FP2 have gotten a little too high recently. Would have preferred OCR to up the difficulty slightly and decrease the boundaries accordingly. In some ways it seems to me like a test of how few mistakes you make, and how many past paper questions you've memorized. Whilst you can usually get away with a few mistakes in the likes of FP3.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by qwepoizxcmnb
I feel like the boundaries for FP2 have gotten a little too high recently. Would have preferred OCR to up the difficulty slightly and decrease the boundaries accordingly. In some ways it seems to me like a test of how few mistakes you make, and how many past paper questions you've memorized. Whilst you can usually get away with a few mistakes in the likes of FP3.

Everyone taking this module is going to be very good at maths, so the grade boundaries are always going to be high. Examiners reports are always saying "one third of candidates got 60 marks or more" etc...

But yes, they are ridiculously high.
Reply 183
Original post by lizard54142
Everyone taking this module is going to be very good at maths, so the grade boundaries are always going to be high. Examiners reports are always saying "one third of candidates got 60 marks or more" etc...

But yes, they are ridiculously high.

MEI had some really easy maths papers this year and OCR made the science papers harder.

The only hard MEI paper I've done this year is M2 which is the hardest maths module anyways so it was gonna be challenging even if they made it slightly easier.

This paper contained lots of recycled questions which was quite odd and they gave away free marks on them, so if you made a mistake it could cost you a grade or 2 grades on a 7/8 marker.
Original post by ETRC
MEI had some really easy maths papers this year and OCR made the science papers harder.

The only hard MEI paper I've done this year is M2 which is the hardest maths module anyways so it was gonna be challenging even if they made it slightly easier.

This paper contained lots of recycled questions which was quite odd and they gave away free marks on them, so if you made a mistake it could cost you a grade or 2 grades on a 7/8 marker.

I agree, M2 was awful. FP3 was reasonably difficult also, not sure if you did that one.
Original post by ETRC

I agree, M2 was awful.

Thank goodness you found M2 relatively bad. Others at my school didn't find it overly difficult, but it's been my worst exam this year.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by SH0405
Thank goodness you found M2 relatively bad. Others at my school didn't find it overly difficult, but it's been my worst exam this year.

I didn't mind M2 as much as FP3, personally. At least I actually finished my M2 script :tongue:
Original post by sarcasmrules
I didn't mind M2 as much as FP3, personally. At least I actually finished my M2 script :tongue:

I didn't do FP3, but heard it was alright. How far through did you get?
Original post by SH0405
I didn't do FP3, but heard it was alright. How far through did you get?

I managed to do all but one part of a question; I simply ran out of time :colondollar:
Original post by SH0405

It was my first exam, I just think I wasn't in "exam mode", so it went pretty badly. I made so many silly errors and I doubt I got 90, so I need near to/full UMS in both FP2 and FP3.
Original post by sarcasmrules

I'm guessing you picked the Differential Geometry question? I heard that was a nightmare.
It was my first exam, I just think I wasn't in "exam mode", so it went pretty badly. I made so many silly errors and I doubt I got 90, so I need near to/full UMS in both FP2 and FP3.

My first too. I've ruled out the A* in Further Maths :frown:. Oh well.
Original post by SH0405
My first too. I've ruled out the A* in Further Maths :frown:. Oh well.

Really, why? :frown:

I think I'm pretty close. M2 was, say 80-ish. I think I got 95-100 in FP3, no-one corrected me on the thread and I matched all the answers everyone was saying. Same here, I think I got 95-100 again (I missed up the deduce Maclaurin question, somehow I got 2t - t^2, must've been a sign error, so that's 4 marks, say).

Too close to call.
My eigenvector was wrong but I kept going with it to try to get FT - will I get follow through for putting my wrong eigenvector in P?
did anyone else feel that there was not much spaces available? I used two additional sheets and split many questions but drawing a line in the middle( hopefully they mark it) ...
Original post by mattallica
My eigenvector was wrong but I kept going with it to try to get FT - will I get follow through for putting my wrong eigenvector in P?

You'll get all the follow through marks! Probably just lose 1/2.

Original post by RemainSilent
did anyone else feel that there was not much spaces available? I used two additional sheets and split many questions but drawing a line in the middle( hopefully they mark it) ...

I agree! I felt cramped, especially on the hyperbolic questions.
I'm guessing you picked the Differential Geometry question? I heard that was a nightmare.

I picked the vector, multivariable calculus and groups questions. It just wasn't my strongest unit to be honest, haha.
Reply 197
Original post by SH0405

yeah m2 was hard

i think i got 95-100 ums on this and 95-100 on DE so if I get 80 on M2 I can still get an A*.
Reply 198
Original post by mattallica

Did you get (0,1,3) rather than (4,1,3)?
Original post by Dan205
Did you get (0,1,3) rather than (4,1,3)?

Nah it's definitely (4,1,3)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending