The Student Room Group

The WWE Society II

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3440
Original post by cocre
Any idea how close they usually reveal who's there? The artwork on the ticket site was Orton, Sheamus & Cena but not sure if that is just a generic filler.

Within the next few weeks I'd suggest.
Original post by IanDangerously

I wish Miz would spend even less time in the ring and less time doing segments too. He should go do network shows I won't watch, or help out at the performance center, or just generally go the **** away.

What's your problem with The Miz? I think he's an excellent heel and solid in the ring.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mackay
Very strange episode of RAW that.

The Authority kicking things off and announcing Sting would wrestle on RAW was huge, but the promo descended into foolishness and the same types of things we've seen in a tired-and-tested formula for two years straight now.

The New Day picking up the win over the Prime Time Players was undoubtedly the only choice Creative could go with, and I'm looking forward to seeing them beat the Dudley Boyz this Sunday. It makes sense for the former to triumph, simply because the Dudleyz chasing gold again is such a huge thing and WWE can't afford to give that up on the first round of this rivalry.

Why on Earth were the Wyatt Family on Miz TV, though? Dreadful booking. How is Bray the type of character to go on Miz TV? It made no sense whatsoever, and neither did the stare down with Ambrose/Reigns without leading to a physical confrontation.

Cena and Sheamus was a solid match-up, with good booking and good work from two steady in-ring hands. It made sense for Cena to go over here, considering he'll probably win back his US title from Rollins this Sunday. It's a shame that Sheamus - while carrying the MITB briefcase - had to take a loss, though.

The Owens and Ryback confrontation was my highlight, unsurprisingly. Much is made about how great Owens' in-ring promo work is, and backstage segments, but Ryback really grew into this and this rivalry will be brilliant. Having Owens discuss that book was very clever, too, and showed some of Creative remember previous subplots.

The less said about Neville falling to having to team with the Lucha Dragons, and feuding with the Ascension, the better. Remember when he was stealing the show on RAW in Rollins' Open WWE World Heavyweight Challenge, and Cena's US Open Challenge? Seems like a long time ago.

Cesaro and Rusev are two great competitors, too, but I wish that this Ziggler feud was being dropped. Rusev could be a great midcard presence, and eventually a main event heel. Cesaro is getting better each and every time I see him with his promo work, so he deserved the win here but it was lazy booking considering he has been an afterthought for Night of Champions.

Ambrose/Reigns revealing they had a partner would have been more effective in a backstage interview. Should have then had Braun win a squash match I think. Wyatt retort after Brauns win then a brawl?

The way they did it wasn't the most exciting.

I've enjoyed aspects of the Ziggler/Rusev/Rae/Lana feud but this week was a little silly for me. Feud will likely end now though since Lanas injured.

Have to admit I love the Lucha dragons so them being in a match is great imo.

Highlights for me:
-Owens/Ryback confrontation. I was also surprised how good it was. Loved the improv with the book throw. Hopefully this rivalry gets more intense and personal.

- I really liked how they set up Sundays diva match. I'd of liked the Bellas to hit Ric Flair to get more heat.

- Probably the only one who would have wanted a longer Sting/Big Show match but I was really enjoying it

What did you think of the women's title angle and main event?

Hope NOC delivers.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3443
Miz is a natural heel. In the modern era, where heels like Kevin Owens, Bray Wyatt and Seth Rollins are routinely cheered, it's refreshing to see a couple of heels who actually get underneath the skin of opponents and aren't seen as cool by the IWC. It isn't hipster to like heels like the Miz, or Sheamus, because they do what their job says on the tin: they play bad guys really effectively.
Reply 3444
Original post by Excuse Me!
Ambrose/Reigns revealing they had a partner would have been more effective in a backstage interview. Should have then had Braun win a squash match I think. Wyatt retort after Brauns win then a brawl?

Nah. I like the way they are keeping it for Night of Champions itself. I imagine that - when the music hits - the arena will be electrified, if it's the right partner.

I've enjoyed aspects of the Ziggler/Rusev/Rae/Lana feud but this week was a little silly for me. Feud will likely end now though since Lanas injured.

It needs to end. It is doing neither competitor any good at this point. Just nip it in the bud please, Creative.

What did you think of the women's title angle and main event?

I think it would've been smart to book Sting against Cena, for the reasons I've mentioned previously.

Hope NOC delivers.

The New Day vs. The Dudley Boyz, and Kevin Owens vs. Ryback, are enough to keep me up late on Sunday watching.

Those two matches will be so solid - and potential match of the year contenders, if given long enough.
Last night's episode of WWE Raw averaged 3,397,000 viewers - up 12,000 from last week's horrible holiday number.

The 8pm hour started low with 3,290,000, then it bumped up in the 9pm hour to 3,539,000 - although half time in the Monday night football fell during this hour. However they still lost viewers going into hour 3 again, dropping 3,363,000 for the 10pm hour and the over-run. Possibly due to the weak main event, people tuning back into the NFL, or maybe the show is just too damn long.

Either way, losing 176,000 viewers going into your main event probably isn't a good thing, but it's not as bad as last week where they lost nearly half a million after 10pm.

What's your problem with The Miz? I think he's an excellent heel and solid in the ring.

He's really not an excellent heel because he's just not entertaining or believable. If he was actually getting real heel heat as opposed to X-Pac heat then fine, but nobody wants to boo him, they just don't want to watch him on television, period. His character and delivery is dull as dishwater.
Reply 3446
Go-home SmackDown spoilers before Night of Champions, guys:

Spoiler

So, it's clever that Sheamus is being inserted into the main event scene given that he's the MITB holder and he's currently without a feud. Sandwich him in there and remind us that he's relevant, Creative.

I have no idea why they have wasted the New Day against the Dudley Boyz just days before they go to war at Night of Champions. I hope the former's victory doesn't mean that the latter goes over at the PPV, because I have a feeling this programme can run and run and the New Day deserve the straps for reinvigorating the tag-team division. Having the Dudley Boyz come back and chase gold is wonderful, but you can't afford to give them it at the first attempt. Allow frustration to build for the viewer, with the New Day getting over as heels by winning shady finishes.

Cesaro's clean win over Rusev is starting to feel like a long time ago. Sad times. Why on Earth is the Big Show beating him on TV?
RAW this week was possibly the worst of this year. Very strange show, but I'm optimistic about who will be the partner for Reigns and Ambrose. Please not Orton...

Also, would love the Hardy Boyz to return on the same sort of programme that Dudley Boyz are working, it would be incredible and it's already proven that they are generating interest by bringing back nostalgia acts, having these feud with The New Day is creating stars.

Not happy about how they are using Cesaro though. I thought last month they were really pushing him for something special, but now he's not even in a feud and having dodgy finishes against Rusev.

Lets just hope Night of Champions is what we're hoping for, a solid PPV with interesting moments.
Reply 3448
Original post by batman1308
RAW this week was possibly the worst of this year. Very strange show, but I'm optimistic about who will be the partner for Reigns and Ambrose. Please not Orton...

It won't be Orton, given that he has been written out through injury. Likewise, Rowan is scheduled to report to the WWE Performance Center soon to begin training again and to work some of his ring rust off - so he's not ready.

Other names being touted are Kane and Chris Jericho, who returned to WWE house shows recently and took on Kevin Owens.
Original post by Mackay
It won't be Orton, given that he has been written out through injury. Likewise, Rowan is scheduled to report to the WWE Performance Center soon to begin training again and to work some of his ring rust off - so he's not ready.

Other names being touted are Kane and Chris Jericho, who returned to WWE house shows recently and took on Kevin Owens.

I think Chris Jericho would be a great choice, considering his ability. Plus I heard it being mentioned that the third man had 'information'. Considering Jericho beat Wyatt in his feud could this be what the 'information' relates to? I think Kane would be a legitimate option though, as someone has to match up to Braun Strowman as the 'monster' of the group.
Reply 3450
I think Chris Jericho would be a great choice, considering his ability. Plus I heard it being mentioned that the third man had 'information'. Considering Jericho beat Wyatt in his feud could this be what the 'information' relates to? I think Kane would be a legitimate option though, as someone has to match up to Braun Strowman as the 'monster' of the group.

Jericho is certainly the most likely option right now.

Kane - with his mask - would be interesting, and he obviously deserves one final run. I'm worried that any return for him would lead to a programme with Rollins, though. We need to set Rollins up for a feud with Triple H, not Kane.

I'm sick of seeing Kane and Big Show get so much air time, to be honest.
Original post by Mackay
Jericho is certainly the most likely option right now.

Kane - with his mask - would be interesting, and he obviously deserves one final run. I'm worried that any return for him would lead to a programme with Rollins, though. We need to set Rollins up for a feud with Triple H, not Kane.

I'm sick of seeing Kane and Big Show get so much air time, to be honest.

I'm more sympathetic for Kane to be honest because I enjoy his character more, and like that apparently his work ethic now is putting younger talent over and is apparently one of the nicest people backstage - I'd love to see his final run finish with a match at Wrestlemania, I've got to say as I was growing up I loved Kane and was always a fan of him. Big Show is nothing to me though, he just doesn't do anything for me, any feud or match in isn't worth it.
Reply 3452
I'm more sympathetic for Kane to be honest because I enjoy his character more, and like that apparently his work ethic now is putting younger talent over and is apparently one of the nicest people backstage - I'd love to see his final run finish with a match at Wrestlemania, I've got to say as I was growing up I loved Kane and was always a fan of him. Big Show is nothing to me though, he just doesn't do anything for me, any feud or match in isn't worth it.

The fact Big Show doesn't seem to be given a strong character doesn't help. I mean, 12 months ago he was a crying babyface targeted by the Authority.

Then, he turned, but he loses matches - despite the Andre the Giant Battle Royal Memorial - and struggles in the ring these days.

He has been given too many turns, and he's now in a weird ambiguous situation where he doesn't suit being either babyface or heel because he's portrayed both so regularly. He doesn't get over, and I'm surprised that WWE still give him such prominence in their line-ups.

Out of the big men, I'd rather watch Ryback, Rowan and Harper wrestle. Sure, they may not be giants - but they are athletic, hard-working and exceptionally gifted in the ring.

If I see one more knockout punch I'm going to throttle somebody.
Reply 3453
This thread has really picked up recently, by the way, guys. Let's keep it going.

Same here man.

Pretty much every time I watch Raw I just sit there hoping for Kane to charge in blasting his slow chemical theme rocking his first attire (if not his first mask due to breathing problems, then his 2nd mask) and then chokeslamming everyone in the ring. Get dissapointed when he doesn't.

There's no way 19 years of hell, fire and chokeslams is gonna end with Kane being The Authority's Bitch.
My respect for Dean Ambrose just went up a sh*t load. No idea any wrestler could allow this to happen to themselves.

btw, don't watch if you're squeamish.

http://gfycat.com/ShyAcademicFurseal

Edit: Copy and paste it.
(edited 8 years ago)
It surely has to be the Rock. Can't see it being Bryan as you'd expect a powerhouse to come in, Bryan, as popular as he may be, coming in and beating Strowman, will take legitimacy away from the big guy. Wouldn't mind seeing them tag up with someone like Orton and having the Wyatts go over, then building up to Survivor Series (or Hell in a Cell) with the return of The Rock, with much bigger build up though. Admittedly, don't think it's plausible.
*NOSTALGIA POST*

WWE Night of Champions comes to the Toyota Center in Houston, Texas this Sunday ... a city who's major role in WWE history is often understated. Here's ten significant things that have happened there over the years:

*1989 - Big John Studd wins the first edition of the Royal Rumble match to take place on pay-per-view

*1998 - WWE break the taboo of man-on-woman violence in professional wrestling, when Stone Cold Steve Austin stuns Chyna for the first time, setting a trend for the late 90s and early 2000s.

*2001 - The first show after the Monday Night Wars takes place as 67,235 fans attend WWE WrestleMania X-Seven at the Reliant Astrodome, headlined by Steve Austin beating The Rock for the World Wrestling Federation Championship.

*2001 - WWE hosts the first live entertainment event after the 9/11 tragedy, with a special edition of SmackDown

*2003 - The first ever one on one meeting of Shawn Michaels and Ric Flair takes place at Bad Blood

*2005 - Eddie Guerrero challenges Batista for the world title on his 38th birthday. His home state crowd would sing happy birthday to him after the show. It would be his final appearance on pay-per-view before his death.

*2007 - The first ever "Night of Champions" takes place at the Toyota Center. Chris Benoit misses his match against CM Punk for "personal reasons", marking the start of the darkest week in the history of the business.

*2009 - Stone Cold Steve Austin is inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame

*2009 - The Undertaker beats Shawn Michaels at WrestleMania 25 in one of the greatest matches of all time

*2013 - WWE Champion Randy Orton defeats World Heavyweight Champion John Cena by retrieving both titles in a ladder match to become the unified WWE World Heavyweight Champion.
Reply 3458
Original post by Depleted
It surely has to be the Rock.

You're joking, right?

Original post by IanDangerously
x

Great arena, but the American Airlines Centre beats it for me. Team Bischoff vs. Team Austin at Survivor Series 2003, along with Undertaker being buried alive by Kane.

Kane and Undertaker were also in the Hell in a Cell 2010 main event there, along with Edge beating Batista and Triple H beating Cena at Night of Champions 2008.

You had Barrett beating Cena there during the summer of Nexus, too, and Rollins defeating Dean Ambrose there last summer.
Original post by Depleted
It surely has to be the Rock.

I don't think that The Rock would return for an event like Night of Champions, it would be very strange and would look out of place against The Wyatt Family. I do agree with Mackay though, it will probably be Kane or Chris Jericho.

Quick Reply

Latest