The Student Room Group

AQA A Level History Paper 1 (7042/1A to 1L) - 24 May 2023 [Exam Chat]

Poll

How did your AQA A-level History Paper 1 exam go today?

AQA A-Level History Paper 1 (7042/1A to 1L) - 24th May 2023 [Exam Chat]

Welcome to the exam discussion thread for this exam. Introduce yourself! Let others know what you're aiming for in your exams, what you are struggling with in your revision or anything else.
Wishing you all the best of luck.

General Information
Date/Time: 24th May 2023/ AM
Length: 2h 30m

Resources
AQA A Level History

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi! Did anyone do the aqa tsarist and communist russia paper in 2022? If so does anyone remember what was on the paper last year?
Reply 2
interpretation on soviet economy. essays : emancipation + society, opposition under nicholas, stalin and khrushchev
Reply 3
Original post by 18b
interpretation on soviet economy. essays : emancipation + society, opposition under nicholas, stalin and khrushchev

thank you!
Reply 4
Hi is anyone doing British empire and Cold War
Reply 5
Does anyone that is doing Option K (USA: Making of a Superpower) have any predictions for our exam questions?
Reply 6
Original post by phiouebe
Does anyone that is doing Option K (USA: Making of a Superpower) have any predictions for our exam questions?

Hi,

I am doing option k
I don't know what might come up but maybe foreign policy cold War and Vietnam War

What do you think
Reply 7
Hi i'm doing 1F - Industrialisation and the People :smile:
Reply 8
How are you revising for it .do you have any predictions for the essays?

Original post by tallulah_tori
i’m doing british empire
i’m doing it chronologically in parts. for example
making a timeline for trade and commerce from 1857-1967. and i’m a lot of timed sources questions bc that’s what i’m struggling with. and i think the sources will be on trade and commerce, attitudes to empire and colonial policy.
for the essays no clue but maybe questions on the winds of change period and relations with indigenous peoples
Reply 10
Original post by tallulah_tori
i’m doing it chronologically in parts. for example
making a timeline for trade and commerce from 1857-1967. and i’m a lot of timed sources questions bc that’s what i’m struggling with. and i think the sources will be on trade and commerce, attitudes to empire and colonial policy.
for the essays no clue but maybe questions on the winds of change period and relations with indigenous peoples

Hi, I think the extract because last year it was trade and commerce I think this year it will he about something else maybe attitudes to empire .I'm hoping the exam questions this year aren't difficult
Reply 11
Anyone doing Tsarist and Communist Russia? Any predictions?
Heya! Is anyone doing Tudors 1C? If so, what are your predictions for the exam???? I'm so worried for it
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7347549#post98386467
If anyone is doing USA making of a superpower ^
Original post by mollyg01
Anyone doing Tsarist and Communist Russia? Any predictions?

hi! my teachers are predicting that the extracts are likely to be on stalin/khruschev or possibly alexander 2/3, for the essays i think it could be something on agricultural change - particularly stolypin's reforms, or maybe the situation for national minorities under communism because both of those haven't come up?
Reply 15
Me too
Reply 16
Original post by amo3bafa1rie
hi! my teachers are predicting that the extracts are likely to be on stalin/khruschev or possibly alexander 2/3, for the essays i think it could be something on agricultural change - particularly stolypin's reforms, or maybe the situation for national minorities under communism because both of those haven't come up?

Ahh I’ve just revised national minorities under Lenin and Stalin today. That would be a good question, but I have no counter arguments for lives of national minorities improving under Stalin aha.
I’ve also noticed that opposition has never been an extract question for A Level so possibly opposition under Stalin/Khrushchev?

The amount of content is ridiculous, so depressing to think after learning all that we barely use any of it in the exam 🥲
Reply 17
I also do Tsarist and communist Russia. I've been doing practice essays and extract questions but am still struggling with content compared with paper 2 which I find much easier. Does anyone have any revision strategies that have been working for them?
Reply 18
Original post by bunting0
I also do Tsarist and communist Russia. I've been doing practice essays and extract questions but am still struggling with content compared with paper 2 which I find much easier. Does anyone have any revision strategies that have been working for them?

I'm doing industrialisation and Germany - however i think these methods might work regardless of topic

I've made flashcards as my foundation, but if you haven't made any that's ok, there's usually lot's of good sets on quizlet

From there I've made a rough timeline with all the key events, then made some sheets that focus on the main points in each unit (e.g for industrialisation it's Parliamentary reform/government, economy, social change, pressure for change and Ireland) I also made a sheet for all the important acts in my unit (not too sure if you have acts of parliament in your's but you could do the same for key events or however that works) - I haven't finish all of mine yet but it's been working so far for me - hope this might help :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by bunting0

Have you seen this revision guide?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/AQA-level-History-Communist-1855-1964/dp/1471837807/ref=sr_1_3?crid=2L9DCZZAFDAJR&keywords=tsarist+and+communist+russia&qid=1683794513&s=books&sprefix=Tsarist+and+%2Cstripbooks%2C71&sr=1-3

This helped me understand so much. All my flashcards are based off this guide.
I think the most important part with less than 2 weeks to go is planning essays.
I got the specification, got every single potential essay that could come up and used the revision guide I mentioned to plan my answers, counter arguments and evidence. Now I’m memorising them.

Also Learning Academy’s videos are good for a general overview and to help understanding.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOinYdbRZwQ&list=PLXtShDmDvfwxFnkhubuy8ClH8NQrIPKDI&index=42

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending