The Student Room Group

Sec/Cosec/Cot Trigonometry Help!!

Hi there,

I wonder if someone could help me with this question - I'm sure it's simple but it's driving me mad! I have to express this term:

cosec(\mathrm{cosec(} 2pi3\frac{2pi}{3} )\mathrm{)}

as the trig ratio of an acute angle, using the same trig function.

If you could please explain how to go about working this out, I'd be most grateful! Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Cosec(2π/3) = 1/sin(2π/3).
and remember that the sine function is symmetric about the the line x=π/2 or π/2 meaning at sin(60) = sin(120) both in degrees
Reply 2
Original post by Funky_Giraffe
Hi there,

I wonder if someone could help me with this question - I'm sure it's simple but it's driving me mad! I have to express this term:

If you could please explain how to go about working this out, I'd be most grateful! Thanks!

Find the sine of that value and divide it from one.
Original post by B_9710
Cosec(2π/3) = 1/sin(2π/3).
and remember that the sine function is symmetric about the the line x=π/2 or π/2 meaning at sin(60) = sin(120) both in degrees

Original post by kkboyk
Find the sine of that value and divide it from one.

Hey! Thanks for the help - I just wanted to check: is cot(490) the same as -cot(50)

[both angles in degrees]

And for that last question ^^ I got cosec(1/3π) - is that right?! Thanks so much :biggrin:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Yes cot(490) = - cot(50)
And the answer you got is right
Reply 5
Hey! Thanks for the help - I just wanted to check: is cot(490) the same as -cot(50)

[both angles in degrees]

And for that last question ^^ I got cosec(1/3π) - is that right?! Thanks so much :biggrin:

Yes, and what last question?
Hey, @kkboyk maybe you could help? It was:

Prove this trig identity:

(sinθcosecθ)2sin2θ+cot2θ1(\sin \theta - \mathrm{cosec } \theta)^2 \equiv \sin^2 \theta + \mathrm{cot}^2 \theta -1

I started with the left side, and got up to

sin2θ2sinθsinθ+1sin2θ \sin^2 \theta - \frac{2 \sin \theta}{\sin \theta} + \frac{1}{\sin^2 \theta}

But not really sure where to go from hear to end up with
sin2θ+cot2θ1 \sin^2 \theta + \mathrm{cot}^2 \theta -1
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 7
What you can do here is combine sinθ and cosecθ and make it as one fraction all over a common denominator of sinθ
Then squaring this term is easy and you should then be able to get to the RHS
Reply 8
Hey, @kkboyk maybe you could help? It was:

Prove this trig identity:

(sinθcosecθ)2sin2θ+cot2θ1(\sin \theta - \mathrm{cosec } \theta)^2 \equiv \sin^2 \theta + \mathrm{cot}^2 \theta -1

I started with the left side, and got up to

sin2θ2sinθsinθ+1sin2θ \sin^2 \theta - \frac{2 \sin \theta}{\sin \theta} + \frac{1}{\sin^2 \theta}

But not really sure where to go from hear to end up with
sin2θ+cot2θ1 \sin^2 \theta + \mathrm{cot}^2 \theta -1

Expand the first bracket to get sin^2 -2 +cosec^2 (2sinxcosec is is equal to 2).

use other identities such as cosec^2 = 1+cot^2 and simplify.
Original post by kkboyk
Expand the first bracket to get sin^2 -2 +cosec^2 (2sinxcosec is is equal to 2).

use other identities such as cosec^2 = 1+cot^2 and simplify.

Thank you!
Reply 10
Thank you!

No problem :tongue:
@B_9710 @kkboyk Hey, these two questions are linked and I just can't seem to work out how to go about answering!! Can you help me in any way?? :frown:

i) Prove that\mathrm{Prove\ that} tan15= 23\tan 15^{\circ} = \ 2 - \sqrt 3

(I tried to split up the fraction into more obvious numbers (ie tan(60-45) but I don't think that's allowed?)

and then:

ii) Find the exact value of\mathrm{Find\ the\ exact\ value\ of} (sin2212+cos2212)2 \left (\sin 22\frac{1}{2}^{\circ} + \cos 22\frac{1}{2}^{\circ} \right) ^2
Reply 12
@B_9710 @kkboyk Hey, these two questions are linked and I just can't seem to work out how to go about answering!! Can you help me in any way?? :frown:

(I tried to split up the fraction into more obvious numbers (ie tan(60-45) but I don't think that's allowed?)

and then:

ii) Find the exact value of\mathrm{Find\ the\ exact\ value\ of} (sin2212+cos2212)2 \left (\sin 22\frac{1}{2}^{\circ} + \cos 22\frac{1}{2}^{\circ} \right) ^2

That is quite precisely what you should for (i) tan15tan(6045)=\displaystyle \tan 15^{\circ} \equiv \tan \left(60^{\circ}- 45^{\circ} \right) = \ldots I'm sure you can take it from there. :smile:
Reply 13

and then:

Thats precisely what you dofor (i). For (ii) you can try to expand the brackets, and dividng by either cos or sine.
Original post by Zacken
That is quite precisely what you should for (i) tan15tan(6045)=\displaystyle \tan 15^{\circ} \equiv \tan \left(60^{\circ}- 45^{\circ} \right) = \ldots I'm sure you can take it from there. :smile:

Thanks very much! Problem solved... !! With the second question, which @kkboyk kindly I suggested I multiply out, I'm having trouble. Is there another method or is it easier than I'm making it? I'm confused about dealing with:

sin22.5cos22.5 ... + etc. when I multiply out.

:s-smilie:
Reply 15
Thanks very much! Problem solved... !! With the second question, which @kkboyk kindly I suggested I multiply out, I'm having trouble. Is there another method or is it easier than I'm making it? I'm confused about dealing with:

Ignore what I've said, sorry. I'm bad at trig myself :colondollar:

Here's a big hint: use sin2x+cos2x=1 sin^2{x} + cos^2{x} = 1 so now you'll be focusing only on the middle value and use the half angle formula.
Reply 16

When you multiply it out you'll get something of the form sin2α+2sinαcosα+cos2α\sin^2 \alpha + 2\sin \alpha \cos \alpha + \cos^2 \alpha, which I'm sure are forms you recognise - one is a double angle formula for something and the other is the well-known Pythagorean identity.

Spoiler

(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by kkboyk
Ignore what I've said, sorry. I'm bad at trig myself Here's a big hint: use sin2x+cos2x=1 sin^2{x} + cos^2{x} = 1 so now you'll be focusing only on the middle value and use the half angle formula.

Original post by Zacken
When you multiply it out you'll get something of the form sin2α+2sinαcosα+cos2α\sin^2 \alpha + 2\sin \alpha \cos \alpha + \cos^2 \alpha, which I'm sure are forms you recognise - one is a double angle formula for something and the other is the well-known Pythagorean identity.

Spoiler

Thank you both for your help :biggrin:
Reply 18
Thank you both for your help :biggrin:

Glad I could be of service! :smile:
Hi there,

Sorry for being random, but I just LOVE your avatar :biggrin: :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest