The Student Room Group

Sexual objectification of women and feminism.

Scroll to see replies

3fjpo3frkp
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by HepaxLegomenon
It's very popular these days to complain about the 'sexual objectification' of women in the media...

All hell broke loose in 2013 when the music video for Robin Thicke's song 'Blurred Lines' was released. Just look at the comments section for the video on YouTube. There are comments which even suggest that Thicke himself is a rapist -- all for dancing with some pretty girls for a music video. Yet when the video for Drake's 'Hotline Bling' is released over two years later no one bats an eyelid at the 'objectification' of women in Drake's video. Out of the two, I'd presume Drake's video to be the most offensive (though of course I don't find it offensive) considering the women in this video are just filmed standing on a spot or dancing a bit -- whereas in Thicke's video the women were allowed to basically have a personality.

Why don't people (in particular feminists) care about Drake's video? Is it because Drake is already very popular? I've come to the conclusion that it's because the girls in Drake's video are a bit heavier than the girls in Thicke's videos. The women in Drake's video probably look more similar to the average woman -- and therefore the average feminist. So bearing all of what I've just written in mind, I've decided that this whole trend of complaining about 'sexually objectified' women is all about ego. And it is probably a trend that won't last too much longer.

I will refrain from elaborating as I've already written two paragraph; but what do you think? I'd love to discuss this.

Aside from the bandwagon effect (basically, it's just dumb luck that Blurred Lines was singled out, and who loves a bandwagon more than a feminist?), it was not only that there were naked women in the video but the contention that the lyrics encouraged rape based on trigger phrases like "blurred lines", "I know you want it", "must want to get nasty".

Specific criticisms of the women in the video appeared to centre around how they were naked while Thicke was dressed in a suit, which they took to be a power play; ignoring that in fact that a suit connotes male sexual desirability too, i.e. wealth and power.

In short it was the usual ridiculous feminist pantomime, with the bandwagon effect being the true explanation.
You think it should've been censored to the extent of not even being allowed to be released? Oh my.

I don't think it should have been. It was disgusting and it was SO popular! Which makes it worse. Also it pop music is directed towards young/developing teens. A message like that is awful to send off into the brains of teenagers.
Reply 43
Brace yourself for an argument...
It is absolutely hilarious that you two have virtually identical avatars. Was this planned or do all feminists just have gay sex fetishes? Haha.

Well I'm gay so... it has nothing to do with our sexual orientations, though.
dpp
(edited 7 years ago)
It is absolutely hilarious that you two have virtually identical avatars. Was this planned or do all feminists just have gay sex fetishes? Haha.

-------> Avatar discussion thread.
:smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by balanced
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCaEO6ue_io
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmSxJvvAA-k

These are BRILLIANT debates, however Milo spends the whole time looking down to get his facts.

I didn't watch the videos but I can tell you straight away from looking at the titles that they are not brilliant debates.
Reply 49
Original post by ivybridge
In all honesty, I don't think it should have been permitted to be released. That's my personal opinion.

"Let's ban everything I don't like!" :fuhrer:
:smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Typical. You've made up your mind about the debates in question before even listening/watching them.

I think a lot of people do this when they evaluate the quality of Youtube videos.

Don't you think you ought to reserve judgement until actually hearing both sides' arguments?

No I do not.
You practically embody the authoritarian left. Very scary that you would want ANYTHING censored...

I don't want it censored, I just don't think those sorts of things are appropriate to release into the media; they have the potential to be and are, very damaging. I think it's an extreme case. There are lots of other songs I think have absolutely vile lyrics and messages but I wouldn't censor them at all.
Original post by Josb
"Let's ban everything I don't like!" :fuhrer:

Legit not what I said. Legit should grow up.
I don't want it censored, I just don't think those sorts of things are appropriate to release into the media; they have the potential to be and are, very damaging. I think it's an extreme case. There are lots of other songs I think have absolutely vile lyrics and messages but I wouldn't censor them at all.

Er, not permitting something to be released is the very definition of censorship.
wew
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by SmashConcept
Er, not permitting something to be released is the very definition of censorship.

Except it isn't? Censorship is when you edit out various parts. Not when you prevent the release of something in general.
Isn't disallowing them to be released a form of censorship? Especially in this context I would say it is.

See the post I just made to @SmashConcept.

Can I just ask, what is actually wrong with censoring things that are that inappropriate and obscene?
Reply 58

I don't get your logic.
Reply 59
Except it isn't? Censorship is when you edit out various parts. Not when you prevent the release of something in general.

:rolleyes:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending