The Student Room Group

Probability, Discrete Random Variables question confusion.

Hello all,

need some help with this question.

It goes,

Suppose X is a random variable with mean "mu" and standard deviation "sigma". Consider the random variable Z = (X-mu)/sigma. Find the expected value of Z?

I put 0 but I know this is wrong.

The next part of the question wants me to find the Variance of Z. Have no idea what to do for this.

Anyone who can help with this will be greatly appreciated.
Original post by Mr XcX
Hello all,

It goes,

Suppose X is a random variable with mean "mu" and standard deviation "sigma". Consider the random variable Z = (X-mu)/sigma. Find the expected value of Z?

The next part of the question wants me to find the Variance of Z. Have no idea what to do for this.

Anyone who can help with this will be greatly appreciated.

0 is correct - can you see why? How did you get to it?

For the next part, you may wish to start off by saying Var(Z) = Var(xsigmamusigma) Var(\frac{x}{sigma} - \frac{mu}{sigma}) amd then applying properties of variance.
Reply 2
Original post by SeanFM
0 is correct - can you see why? How did you get to it?

For the next part, you may wish to start off by saying Var(Z) = Var(xsigmamusigma) Var(\frac{x}{sigma} - \frac{mu}{sigma}) amd then applying properties of variance.

Is it because E[X] = mu

mu - mu = 0

0/sigma = 0 right??

Okay I'll try and work through the 2nd part and tell you what I come up with.

My confidence in my abilities in Probability and Statistics is really shaky lol, so thank you for helping me with this.
Original post by Mr XcX
Is it because E[X] = mu

mu - mu = 0

0/sigma = 0 right??

Okay I'll try and work through the 2nd part and tell you what I come up with.

My confidence in my abilities in Probability and Statistics is really shaky lol, so thank you for helping me with this.

What you've done is correct, but if I were to be pernickety you haven't laid it out properly so you would get some of the marks :redface:

E(Z) = E((x-mu)/sigma)
= E(1/sigma) * E(X-mu) = (E(X) - E(mu)) * E(1/sigma) = (mu - mu) * 1/E(sigma) using linearity and that E(X) = mu, and E(constant) = constant, so E(mu) = mu and E(sigma) = sigma, hence E(Z) = (mu-mu)/sigma = 0/sigma = 0.
Reply 4
[QUOTE="XcX;60762753" Mr="Mr"]Hello all,

It goes,

Anyone who can help with this will be greatly appreciated.[/QUOTE
]you are correct, Z is normally distributed mean mu,variance=sigma^2. So N(0,1^2 )=N(0,1)
Silly question anyway,who set it?
Reply 5
Original post by SeanFM
What you've done is correct, but if I were to be pernickety you haven't laid it out properly so you would get some of the marks :redface:

E(Z) = E((x-mu)/sigma)
= E(1/sigma) * E(X-mu) = (E(X) - E(mu)) * E(1/sigma) = (mu - mu) * 1/E(sigma) using linearity and that E(X) = mu, and E(constant) = constant, so E(mu) = mu and E(sigma) = sigma, hence E(Z) = (mu-mu)/sigma = 0/sigma = 0.

Is the Variance = 1 for the 2nd part??
Original post by Mr XcX
Is the Variance = 1 for the 2nd part??

Correct, well done :biggrin:

So how did you get there, and why?
Reply 7
[QUOTE="glenis72;60763125"]
Original post by Mr XcX
Hello all,

It goes,

Anyone who can help with this will be greatly appreciated.[/QUOTE
]you are correct, Z is normally distributed mean mu,variance=sigma^2. So N(0,1^2 )=N(0,1)

My lecturer for Probability and Statistics lol.

He has given us a lot of poor questions.
Reply 8
Original post by SeanFM
Correct, well done :biggrin:

So how did you get there, and why?

OMG =O

So what I did.

Var(x/Sig - mu / Sig) = Var(x/Sig)-Var(mu/Sig)

Variance of a constant is 0.

So Var(x/Sig)-0

Then we take out (1/Sig)^2*Var(x)

Sig = Root of Var (x)

So Var(x)/Var(x) = 1

May have fluked it but that's what I did. Is the correct way of thinking about it. :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Mr XcX
OMG =O

So what I did.

Var(x/Sig - mu / Sig) = Var(x/Sig)-Var(mu/Sig)

Variance of a constant is 0.

So Var(x/Sig)-0

Then we take out (1/Sig)*Var(x)

Sig = Root of Var (x)

So Var(x)/Var(x) = 1

May have fluked it but that's what I did. Is the correct way of thinking about it. :smile:

Ahh. You're along the right lines :smile:

Remember the different properties of expectation and variance.

E(aX + bY) = aE(X) + bE(Y), and E(aX +c) = aE(X) + E(c) = aE(X) + c, as E(constant = constant).

It is not necessarily true that Var(X+Y) = Var(X) + Var(Y) as you would do for E(X+Y). But in this question we can use another property.

Side note:

Spoiler

The property is that we can also show that Var(aX+c) = a^2Var(X). (The constant disappears, and the scale factor is taken out as a square).

In your answer you did take out the sigma but you didn't use that Var(aX) = a^2Var(X), where a can even be a fraction.

Hopefully you have seen all of those things before. If you're unsure, ask. Otherwise you have all the tools you need to try to answer again.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by SeanFM
Ahh. You're along the right lines :smile:

Remember the different properties of expectation and variance.

E(aX + bY) = aE(X) + bE(Y), and E(aX +c) = aE(X) + E(c) = aE(X) + c, as E(constant = constant).

It is not necessarily true that Var(X+Y) = Var(X) + Var(Y) as you would do for E(X+Y). But in this question we can use another property.

Side note:

Spoiler

The property is that we can also show that Var(aX+c) = a^2Var(X). (The constant disappears, and the scale factor is taken out as a square).

In your answer you did take out the sigma but you didn't use that Var(aX) = a^2Var(X), where a can even be a fraction.

Hopefully you have seen all of those things before. If you're unsure, ask. Otherwise you have all the tools you need to try to answer again.

Thank you so much for taking the time to help me.

You're amazing :smile:
Original post by Mr XcX
Thank you so much for taking the time to help me.

You're amazing :smile:

No problem :smile:. The important thing is though, can you now see how to get to Var(Z) = 1?
Reply 12
Original post by SeanFM
No problem :smile:. The important thing is though, can you now see how to get to Var(Z) = 1?

I think so,

Using the properties of variance

Var(Z) = Var(aX+b) Let a = 1/Sig, b=-mu/Sig, b being a constant Var = 0

=a^2Var(x)

Sig = Root Var (x)
(1/Sig)^2 = 1/Var(x)

Var(z)=Var(x)/Var(x) = 1
[QUOTE="XcX;60763385" Mr="Mr"]
Original post by glenis72

My lecturer for Probability and Statistics lol.

He has given us a lot of poor questions.

Remember Var(aX)=a^2Var(X). So Var(-X)=-1^2Var(x)=+Var(X). Var(constant)=0
So, Var(X-mu/sigma) =1/sigma^2 xVar(X-mu) = 1/sigma^2x (Var(X)+Var(mu) )=Var(X)/sigma^2=1/1=1
Remember var(X-Y)=varX+varY. Because var(X-Y)=var(X+-Y)=varX+-1^2varY=varX+varY
Not easy to explain on this Ipad
Original post by Mr XcX
I think so,

Using the properties of variance

Var(Z) = Var(aX+b) Let a = 1/Sig, b=-mu/Sig, b being a constant Var = 0

=a^2Var(x)

Sig = Root Var (x)
(1/Sig)^2 = 1/Var(x)

Var(z)=Var(x)/Var(x) = 1

Perfect, well done, you seem to understand it now, as long as you remember those properties.

Again, being pernickety (and it's my fault this time) the c doesn't disappear just because Var(c) = 0, but it dissapears when calculating Var(aX+c). You could try to prove this yourself or follow a proof online, as you just need to know the properties and that Var(X) = E(X^2) - (E(X))^2.

So yes, well done, and hopefully you are feeling a bit more confident on dealing with expectation and variance. :borat:
glenis72
you are correct, Z is normally distributed mean mu,variance=sigma^2. So N(0,1^2 )=N(0,1)
Not quite: mean and variance are fine but there's nothing to say Z is normally distributed.

Quick Reply

Latest